PayPal Misery Rant

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

PayPal Misery Rant

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was going to have a rant on my 'X7 Steering Rack Again' thread about this as it concerns the rack transaction, but thought I'd stick it here as a general rant after the fiasco that is still going on. The original rack payment included a £150 refund on return of my old rack.
So:
  • Steering rack bought from eBay via seller, whom I have no complaints about and paid with PayPal, opting to use one of my credit cards as the option (for extra protection), which still goes through the PayPal system - but not the PayPal credit.
  • Steering rack returned on 6th June direct to Royal Mail sorting office.
  • Contacted seller to chase up refund yesterday (12th June) - was told refund was made on 6th June and it takes 5-7 days!
  • Checked my CC account online - no refund, only the original payment.
  • Sent an email to the seller querying this, had an email this morning from them saying it had been made and goes back to PayPal - which is all they see. But, they also apologised as only £100 had been credited back instead of £150, so would be making another refund today for the £50 and yes another 5-7 days for that to go through.
Strangely, at the same time an email came through from PayPay to say "You've got Money". And the email specifically says
Log in to your account and go to the 'History' subtab of the 'My Account' tab. If the Status of the payment is listed as 'Unclaimed', click the Accept button to reflect this transaction in your balance.
First, there is no such 'History' tab option at all as quoted :roll: - and hunting about under the transactions - no refund at all and finally nothing on my PayPal balance!

So instead, followed the link in the PayPal email and surprise "this page no longer exists" :shock: Getting fed up of this, I opt to contact PayPal as they specifically told me the funds were there.
  • Now the fun begins going through the automated help system, I entered the 6 digit reference supplied from their help pages prior to contacting them.
  • Now you have to 'speak the reason for calling'. So spent the next 10 minutes swearing at the automated system as none of the options were correct :grr:
  • Finally said something just to get through to a human being.
  • Spent another 15 minutes explaining the fine art of exchange rebates when returning car parts and refunds as she was already confused between the original transaction and the £100 refund I was querying!
  • Finally, after another 10 minutes of delving she located the reference, only to tell me that this would go back to my original card payment method (my credit card) and would take 5-7 days! :roll:
  • So 7 days from seller to PayPay and another 7 days from PayPal to my Credit Card company - ridiculous.
  • So exhausted at this point I decided to have a rant about how they should change their standard templates to include up to date information / options when referring to the online account - and maybe that would stop irate people ringing up on that front
So it will be 14 days before the first refund gets put back on my CC account and another 14 days for the additional £50 to get there. This will no doubt leave me with a situation where none of the credits will appear on my CC statement in time for my next statement. So as I pay of any balance in full, to avoid interest each month, I will no doubt have to pay the full amount as shown, and will now next month sometime, be left with a credit on my credit card of £150 which I cannot transfer back to my bank account!

So beware of anything like this using ebay where you have to use PayPal (even when using a credit card) where a refund / rebate is likely.

Faster payments system my ar*e. It's all about hanging to your money as long as they can - better in their pockets than yours. :grr:

In future, when I'm on steering rack number 4 :roll: I will have to source a company outside of the bay of evil where you can just use a Credit Card and be done with it, as I'm not going through that heap of hooey again. Rant over.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: PayPal Misery Rant

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 12:33I will have to source a company outside of the bay of evil where you can just use a Credit Card and be done with it...
I thought you could already do that? I've just bought some items on Ebay and one of the options for payment was paying by credit card. I chose to use PayPal as they were both straightforward outright purchases and, to be honest, I can't recall ever using the credit card option but surely this would do what you wanted?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Apparently the sellers only see the PayPal side of it Paul, as PayPal handle all the merchant transactions so the sellers have nothing to do with the Credit Card side of it. So in this case any refunds are processed by the seller back to PayPal and then PP process the refund back to your Credit card - in effect doubling up the transaction side of any refund!

And in this case, it will ultimately leave me with a credit on my credit card!

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I just bought another item through Ebay and, out of interest, clicked on the Credit Card option. Interestingly the option was not allowed. The notes said this may be because the seller does not accept credit cards, does not despatch to a certain country and another reason I can't remember. In my case it's probably because he/she was just a (very) part time seller.

So, I suspect that if the vendor does not accept cards themselves then the option certainly isn't available at point of sale. As a matter of interest do you happen to know if your vendor accepts cards themselves?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you're referring to Autosteer Paul, then I presume not as their main site seems to take you to their eBay store when looking to buy online, so I would say not and that they probably oly trade through the PayPal system in that case. So you should be able to pay with your credit card like I did, but it all goes through PayPal. Not normally an issue, but in the case of any refunds / returns using this option expect a long delay is all I can say - probably the same with all eBay traders I suspect as the actual refund was initiated in good time by the firm to be fair - it was just the PayPal and Credit Card processing delays.

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I would have thought you could transfer any credit on your credit card to your bank account without a wait, I can with Barclaycard and my Barclays current account, transfer is immediate in either direction.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I think it's the time taken for PayPal to process the transaction before it appears in your credit card account that's the problem

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can’t with MBNA Gibbo, there is no transfer facility I’m afraid. I will just have to spend it away!

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 19:16 I can’t with MBNA Gibbo, there is no transfer facility I’m afraid. I will just have to spend it away!

Can I have an invite to the party? :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You’ll have to get an X7 fist to get entry into the Rack ‘n’ Rant party Gibbo :tgif:

Marc
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's interesting how the refund, once processed, takes several days to return to the card account, but payments made from the card via Paypal are usually debited on the same day.
I don't understand the nonsense about 'claiming' a refund either. I made a partial refund to an eBay buyer a month ago (the item was slightly damaged in the post), but it's still unclaimed. How long do I leave it before cancelling it?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think the payment method used may be different? Normally (and not using a credit card processed via PayPal as in my case) the recipient once they are notified ‘you’ve got cash’ has to accept it via their PayPal account.

I would just leave it as it’s up to them to do the acceptance and they will have email notification and messages via their apps. PayPal say it can take up to 30 days for a refund! If the recipient hasn’t claimed or accepted the cash by then you get your money back. Card payments go back to cards and refunds for payments made by PayPal cash balances go back to the buyer’s PP cash balance.

So I would hang on until 30 days is up and then it comes back to you according to them.

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep, paypal are Bastards. That's why I always try to avoid.
They charge fees for things that you can do free via traditional banks online banking and they add long delays into the processing.
There is nothing good about paypal, IMO...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They are not my preferred payments processor either, but unfortunately, that's what you have to use on the bay - PayPal cash, PayPal Credit, Credit / Debit cards - they all get processed by PP, but using the later can double up transaction refunds it would seem :x

Marc
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I concur. I had a situation with them recently and spent 20mins or more composing a concise, to the point email relating to a completely un-necessary charge against my Back Up Credit Card, where there were more than sufficient funds for this to have come from my Bank Account in the usual way.

Having done so, the response I received had no relevance to my issue and I suppose this one will go down on their statistics as me being 'A Happy Customer'. Meanwhile I now have a small balance accruing Interest alongside a somewhat larger long term balance on my 0% Deal Credit Card for the next year.

I suspect that in these days of everything being heavily automated that these Paypal delays have much more to do with them benefitting from hanging onto your money as long as possible than the actual processing of the transaction.
Puxa