Why are things so dear!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Why are things so dear!!

Post by Sloppysod »

I see this the other day and thought yes that is why Citroen want £1500+ for a steering rack!!.
The Accenture Software understands that you need it to drive your car so you will pay the price they ask, so with that knowledge they put the price up!!
https://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idINKCN1IZ07L.

Now we know!! [-X
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Kerek85
My Cars: C3 Pluriel
C6 lignage
Mondeo v6
Fabia 1.6 cr
Mercedes E220
Xantia activa

Re: Why are things so dear!!

Post by Kerek85 »

Renault said it "strives to provide its customers with a wide variety of quality spare parts, the price of which is calculated based on parameters that Renault considers fair and equitable".

I paid 60 quid for a clio door pillar sticker. I thought it was a tad dear considering almost all Clios have them and it wasn't a rare sporty model.

I only paid 30 quid for the same type of item on a Ford ka.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I've never read such a lot of corporate hooey. Guilty - all of them.

So now you know - source your parts elsewhere and the prices will drop. Those genuine Citroen racks shot up nearly £500 overnight - not because customers thought that it was worth it - but because of all the failures in them creating the demand. Now hopefully, in this example, if enough of us have decent rack replacements that are treated and refurbished from decent aftermarket suppliers, we can tell PSA and the likes in the immortal words of 'Scotty' - "up yer shaft".
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

That's a disgrace. Spares should be sold on a cost plus basis rather than what people can stretch to when they need their car back on the road for work!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

EDC5 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 21:20 That's a disgrace. Spares should be sold on a cost plus basis rather than what people can stretch to when they need their car back on the road for work.
If only that were so. Pricing is often set at "what buyers are prepared to pay", and that is affected by perceived worth, size, weight, solidity, and how desperate customers are for their Widget to function again . . . and, of course, by what choice they have for buying it elsewhere.

Many companies selling manufactured kit need to maintain spares stock for perhaps 10 years after last production, and where components don't fail, or turn out to be unexpectedly long-lived, companies can get "stuck with" large untouched stocks of spares on their shelves. These, eventually, have to be written off. BUT, that's no reason for high-turnover, frequently-selling spares to be extortionately priced.

Once upon a time, vehicle insurers seemed not to care about the size of a workshop's repair bill. Now they do, and pattern- and aftermarket parts are regularly specified in place of OEM . . . that is, if they are available.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

10 years parts supply, hahaha, only by choice. Eu manufactures have negotiated 7 years and that is reducing to 5 if their plans are accepted.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Less than that now in terms of support too. I can give you a recent example where the NG4 Navidrive was available to order up to and including 2014. PSA have not and are unlikely to commission HERE for any future map updates. The current one is 2016-2 which contains 2015 data! So 2 years and obsolete. Disgusting.

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

That's why, despite the fact so many cars now have integral (indeed, integrated) SatNavs, there's still a steady demand for TomToms & the like.

b-t-w, my TomTom's 6 years old, & does, sometimes, get a little confused now (although I've never followed it blindly) but is still fine, for all practical purposes.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My TomTom's much older Van, I bought it for £25 in a bankruptcy auction, must be around 12 years ago, still works fine, even added the USA maps and took it to the States on my last trip.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think they work on the principle that if you can afford to pay that much for a car you can afford our price for the spares, one reason I wouldn't buy an new/expensive car even if I could afford to.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

van ordinaire wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 02:07 That's why, despite the fact so many cars now have integral (indeed, integrated) SatNavs, there's still a steady demand for TomToms & the like.

b-t-w, my TomTom's 6 years old, & does, sometimes, get a little confused now (although I've never followed it blindly) but is still fine, for all practical purposes.
Yes, but remember that the Head Units are not just Sat Navs now Van, they are embedded systems that control car functionality and options, telematics and telephony, media, emergency call etc. So if it was just Sat Nav, fair enough, but on a £2k premium system you would expect support longer than 2 years on maps.

I think a factory fit is also better for aesthetics - especially if you consider that a lot of people also have dash cams (out of necessity now it seems :-D ), GPS radar detection (who me?) it soon starts to get a bit crowded without having to put up a bloody Tom Tom too! :-D

Marc
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Over £300 update on some.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03 ... e-gps/amp/

OK, there are some clever details on built in units, like calculating from the ABS sensors so you don't get lost in tunnels, but besides that there isn't much you can't do with a £50 Android phone.

I bought a Becker unit on clearance at Argos a few years ago, but have hardly used it. I tend to study Google Maps before setting off, and only occasionally might use it on the phone in the last few miles or if there is unexpected traffic.

Why some people have the things up on the window, and lit up at night, zoomed in close while they are on a motorway for another 20 km which they may be on daily, I just don't know
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

But I'm just making the point Andy that they are not just Nav units - they do calculate the route when going in tunnels of course, but a lot have the your complete media centre, and rear infotainment, your voice command system for operating the controls, the bluetooth and independent built in telephone system (or both in my case), DVD player, Equaliser, etc., etc., so none of these things that an android can do and shouldn't need to if the car manufacturers provided a minimum time frame for support. If people knew this from the start they would not have opted for a particular system. And 2 years for map updates for a 2014 purchased system is not on.

Marc
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 12:17 But I'm just making the point Andy that they are not just Nav units - they do calculate the route when going in tunnels of course, but a lot have the your complete media centre, and rear infotainment, your voice command system for operating the controls, the bluetooth and independent built in telephone system (or both in my case), DVD player, Equaliser, etc., etc., so none of these things that an android can do and shouldn't need to if the car manufacturers provided a minimum time frame for support. If people knew this from the start they would not have opted for a particular system. And 2 years for map updates for a 2014 purchased system is not on.

Especially when you can still get maps for the older RT3 system!
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Exactly and this was my point to Citroen Customer services, whom have replied several times asking for VIN and car details and all the other unnecessary information:

First Response
Thank you for your recent email.

We're always looking to keep up to date with new technologies so I'm surprised to hear that our map updates have not been kept up to date.

I can't comment on information you've received from HERE technologies but I want to forward your concern onto the product manager for your vehicle.

In order to help, I need the following information from you:

- Vehicle registration number
- Vehicle chassis number (VIN) - you'll find this in your handbook pack
- The Citroën dealership you use
Second Response:
The reason I'd like a little more information was that I'd like to forward your enquiry on to the product manager for the model to see if they can provide any insight.

Can I take it from your response that your vehicle is the Citroën C5?

Until now I was not aware that PSA had decided against renewing maps with HERE technologies and, as such, am unable to give your question as complete a response as deserved.
I told them that is not required, I have supplied the technical and consumer names for the unit - end of - that is all they need to know, and the map versions. I told them I have contacted HERE maps and they have emailed me to say PSA have not commissioned another update as yet for this system.

Third Response:
Thank you for your further information.

The information I've been given from the product manager for the model is that this should be taken up directly with HERE technologies, suggesting the lack of updates is due to the providing company.

From the information already provided, I would infer that you have contacted them and their response is that PSA have decided not to renew this.

From the customer care team, I'm not privy to any decision making process so I can only apologise if this is the case.

Kind regards
Matthew O'Sullivan
Customer Care Manager
The "From the information already provided" is what I already provided to them in my original enquiry. So as you can see, we now have the ping pong game starting all over again!

Damned infuriating that they think we all totally thick and cannot see what is going on - how many brain cells does it take to locate the product development Team Head and ascertain the correct answer? Do you really think HERE maps will just make maps for systems they are not asked to???? Please stop treating us like idiots Citroen.

Marc