Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Have to admit it, but Sunderland is a bit of a foreign country to me, not that familiar with it, but it has its interesting bits. First time visitor today to one of its gems. Ryhope to be specific and a construction of the Sunderland and South Shields Water Company which remains to this day a credit to the hard working people who maintain the Ryhope Engines Museum,..and its free!

Today it was in steam, special weekend infrequently held, and the magnificence of the machinery in working order is tremendous.

I took my own amateurish video for personal consumption but others do a better job and its on youtube here

Yes and today there was a gathering of Rover P6's and other classics and the sun was shining....great stuff!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't think I've mentioned this before, it's a place I call in regularly for a coffee and sometimes a meal whilst watching (not joining in) the activities, pretty well on my doorstep.

http://www.ndac.co.uk/index.htm
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Well I never knew, but thanks to the power of random links and clicks I have gone from the whatsthisthen? of a car being loaded up on a car sleeper at Schaarbeek, to its very beautiful station posted up on wiki by David Edgar, to David's other pics of Belgium including the Brussels Flower Carpet.

It happens every 2 years, and this year takes place from 16 to 19 August 2018.

Looks fantastic, this is the 2016 version

The 2018 version will have a Mexican theme.

Worth seeing I would think if you are in the vicinity at the time.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There is a similar show in Tenerife but they do it with volcanic sand instead of flowers. Religious themes usually.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... jaxhist=0
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Saltaire Yorkshire a place full of interest

..and an added bonus if you like David Hockney's work a fantastic exhibition of his "The Arrival of Spring" and the bonus.....none of your fancy London Gallery prices....a decent Yorkshire "nowt" to view it.
N Falcon own work
N Falcon own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well following on from the Wall Street Journal perhaps surprisingly declaring Dundee as one of the top 10 Cities to visit in the World (number 5!) mentioned earlier on the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48830&p=555508&hilit=dundee#p555456

Its now got the V&A opening on Saturday in a building designed by Japanese Artchitect Kengo Kuma.

Wont disappoint the concrete lover, very striking

https://www.vandadundee.org/news-and-bl ... ening-date

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I saw that on the news last night Neil, looks like a Noah's Ark for a tsunami.

Ugly I think but what do I know, if cows in embalming fluid are art I suppose anything goes.
NewcastleFalcon

Guess the A68 is not a particularly well-travelled route by FCF Members up/dwown from Scotland.

It is the most dramatic and natural border, climb up to the top particularly from the Northumberland side and the view of the Scottish Landscape laid out before you is superb. Today's POTD from me gives the balcance...quite often it will be shrouded in mist!

Two nice places to stop off at.....

Border Meringues at Jedburgh....opposite the Shell garage in an unassuming Industrial estate building. Top quality coffee cakes and meals.

and another its worth travelling to...Turn off into the Village of St Boswells and go to The Mainstreet Trading Company.

Books/Coffee/Deli/ and home. A stand of All the TinTin books in the shape of a Rocket and as I-Spy Citroen H Vans will in a couple of minutes testify a Citroen H van in the car park!
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 19:36 Books/Coffee/Deli/ and home. A stand of All the TinTin books in the shape of a Rocket and as I-Spy Citroen H Vans will in a couple of minutes testify a Citroen H van in the car park!

DSC00507.JPG

Regards Neil

Now that's my kind of place :)

I'm wondering if I might post up all the lovely cafes we visit on our bike rides? Might be useful to anyone visiting the Milton Keynes area and wanting some quality refreshment...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Day started as a disaster - trip to Consett, about 16 miles, to get tested for new specs as I have ruined all my current ones.

Stepped into SpecSavers and had to step straight back out again - synthetic fragrance of some description that left me unable to drive.
Fortunately daughter #3 was with me as we were going to Julie's Bookstore on Number One Industrial Estate - always sounds Chinese to me.
Google maps was completely wrong and her phone no better - took us two miles in the wrong direction, told us to take the fifth exit from each roundabout we passed through.

Turned around and it led us to completely the wrong place but asken inside and a lady there knew where it was and gave us old fashioned directions.
I had bought a book there a year or so ago - "Luftslottet SomSprängdes": - one of the "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" series.
Except I got "Luftslottet SomSprängtes" - the Norwegian version - very similar to Swedish but not similar enough that it would be easy enough to read - it's a big book.

Anyway - we went in but it turned out that they only sell online, not directly from the warehouse. Nice enough people but another disappointment.

Laura then suggested going to "Barter Books" - Neil has mentioned this earlier in the thread.
It's in Alnwick and the farthest north I have been (in the UK anyway).

Very nice place housed in the old railway station. Was far bigger than I expected with thousands of books of all genres - I couldn't find any Swedish originals though :(
Did get a nice Richard Feynman book though.
Nice café too!

A very pleasant trip and Laura did the driving as I wasn't safe to do so. Not sure how far we went but used ¼ tank of diesel to do it.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 21:28 Number One Industrial Estate[/i] - always sounds Chinese to me.
Named after the Number One Pit owned by Derwent Iron Company to mine coal and iron stone.

Enjoyed your little tale...pleased you enjoyed your day out to Barter Books :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 23:06
myglaren wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 21:28 Number One Industrial Estate[/i] - always sounds Chinese to me.
Named after the Number One Pit owned by Derwent Iron Company to mine coal and iron stone.

Enjoyed your little tale...pleased you enjoyed your day out to Barter Books :)

Regards Neil

Often wondered Neil. Just not enough to research it :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I stop here often for a coffee and snack, has a licensed restaurant, decent enough food at a small price and lots to do for the brave.

http://www.ndac.co.uk/
NewcastleFalcon

Always nice to have a bit of entertainment with your coffee and cake.

Not quite the adrenaline rush of zip wiring or diving, but watching trains can be very relaxing, and of course always the potential excitement of a couple of trains crossing in the middle!

Orocco Pier Cafe, Queensferry.
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It can be dodgy Neil, train spotting that is. I was chatting to the engineers who had to deal with this the last time I was over there.

http://www.gendisasters.com/maryland/23 ... -aug-2012