Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

GDPR Compliance

Post by xantia_v6 »

You will have seen that we have added a GDPR acceptance to the forum, as the GDPR rules become enforceable tomorrow.

In practice there has been no change in our actual policies for data retention, which have always been to keep data only for the originally submitted purpose.

You should only ever see the acceptance box once, unless we significantly change our policy in the future, requiring a new acceptance
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: GDPR Compliance

Post by van ordinaire »

Hovering on the brink of giving up on the forum, it just seems to have become (like so much else these days) more trouble than it's worth.

Logged on last night after an extended absence (see my blog) ticked the acceptance box (incidentally not someting I've been asked by the myriad financial institutions & others who, to comply, have simply told me how they will use such personal data they have managed to harvest) & away we went.

Today I had to log-on again - so much for "remember me" - tick the box again AND then asked to register; the only good thing about that is it would, at last, give me an opportunity to up-date my e-mail address, as when the missive about that was posted, I couldn't find any way to do it. however, I declined &, instead, started again - so far, so good, but . . .

As I said, very undecided!

More in sorrow than anger.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You do seem to have a lot of headaches with the forum Van.
I have only seen the message the prescribed once and I float between four different computers all with slightly different operating systems though all Linux distributions and regularly clear out all the dross that accumulates - cookies, temp web pages and the rest and also all the unneeded operating system files - I use a tool called Bleachbit that is fairly similar to CCleaner for windows.
Very rarely hit a snag.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, there should only be the one acceptance requirement and then just log back on and make sure you re-select to remember your log in details in your browser.

The problem is not with the Forum to be fair, but with browser maintenance and ensuring preferences are set and retained.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've had issues with Opera Mini (under Android) logging me out of FCF with alarming regularity and somewhat unpredictably, so I switched to Chrome and the problems went away. I had Opera 'turned up' a bit on its cookie management, so I assumed the logging out issue was related to that.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's right Robin - clearing the cache and/ or cookies will require a log in again for the next time, but your browser should still remember saved passwords and the like if you have set this up to do so.

Opera can be a bit twitchy at the best of times (turn off Opera Turbo and VPN to speed things up).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Worked ok for me. Ticked box, logged in, and our GDPR message never seen again, on any of our devices.
Chin up, Mike!
Chris
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am sorry that anyone had issues with the compliance box. I don't think that the problem was related to cookies in this case, but probably the first acceptance somehow didn't get recorded.

We chose to have this form of acceptance because the forum has been running for 17 years, with several different versions of data retention policy. Some long-standing current members will have joined and agreed to terms which may not have been compatible with the GDPR. Recording agreement with the current policy may save us some trouble in the future.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

This whole GDPR nonsense has been brilliant for me. All bar one of these emails I've hit the unsubscribe button, especially the ones who hid it at the bottom out of the way. [-X I now look forward to a lot lighter inbox. :-D
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Really couldn't face looking at this again yesterday but this morning in, perhaps, a better frame of mind (amazing what a drive over Dartmoor, even in heavy mist, does for the spirits/soul – well, mine anyway!) picked up the laptop, only to find I'd obviously forgotten to log-off last night, so went straight to the forum – except I had to log-in again, obviously it doesn't appreciate being ignored for hours, but it IS so tedious!

I don't have a problem with the form of acceptance itself (although it can't have escaped anyone's attention that none of the organisations that actually hold personal/confidential data think it was necessary) but the fact it didn't seem to be a one-off as I had assumed &, after a false start, does seem to be the case.

Despite what Marc suggested (to which I'll return) I only seem to have a problem with this forum, although last night eBay decided that I couldn't change my card details – so that's the end of another, not so, beautiful relationship!

Until I got this laptop I didn't have internet access other than a work, where I wasn't required to do anything but log-on, all this background stuff was taken care of for me &, so, it is still a bit of a mystery &, frankly, something I could well do without. However, quite by chance I found out about CCleaner last week so thought I'd give it a go: the only obvious difference now is that nearly all my desktop shortcut icons are the same (FCF being a notable exception, which after about 24 hrs appearing remarkably similar to “Word” reverted to its original appearance.

Browser maintenance? Ye gods, it's difficult enough to find one that suits AND can be relied on every time. Perhaps it is all my fault as, so far as I know, I have never set any preferences (& wouldn't know how to – life's too short AND complicated enough as it is: I want simplicity, not more choices (which is why when I get into a car, I rarely change/adjust anything).

I thought this would be a golden opportunity to unsubscribe or, at least change my e-mail address, as I have had these notices from people I've not dealt with for years, a couple I've never heard of & at least one sent to my new work e-mail address which only went live while I was away & which I haven't used for any external e-mails. Unfortunately, only one gave me the opportunity to unsubscribe - & changing e-addresses is every bit as difficult.

At the moment, all is well – although I can't change my e-mail address (sorry – couldn't resist that!)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Personally, I find Opera on my mobile, more stable than Chrome on my laptop.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Me - I stick with IE11.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

It was only Opera Mini that had issues with random logging out of FCF for me, I still use Opera Mini for everything else on my tablet, just not FCF.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I have Chrome on my laptop which I've found is just about acceptable if I clean it out on a regular basis. I would go back to Firefox in a heartbeat if the damn laptop would accept it. :evil:

I get the feeling Mr Van's problems are more browser related than forum. I would just uninstall and reinstall as a quick way to find if that makes any difference.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The issue of some phone browsers not staying logged-in to the forum is a bit OT here. I have seen the problem myself, but was not able to fully debug it at the time, and have not been able to reproduce it. I believe that it is related to the forum sending an html session token that does not match the current session cookie, but it is rather obscure, and I have no idea why only some mobile browsers are affected (and only sometimes).

I reluctantly gave up using the Opera mobile browsers a couple of years ago because they got too flakey. I now use Chrome on Android and (mostly) Opera on PC.