My turn for a C5!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: My turn for a C5!

Post by CitroJim »

Scorching is not often a good sign of failure James... I never once saw a failed Xantia controller in any way scorched..

Failure is much more subtle these days...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have just received a nice, shiny blower module from Gibbo2286 (Thanks once again for that). If it is alright with him I will pop £5 into the Guide Dogs collection tin. Jim, when the one I ordered from China arrives I will send both my old unit and that one off to you, so you hopefully have the ability to compare between them. One of the output pins is discoloured, and this was the one with the completely failed solder join (which may explain the blower speed issue).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James :) As said, looking forward to receiving and playing with it ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, my C5 has just come back from PTS Developments. Nice new clutch (including DMF), and both back brakes sorted (unfortunately both callipers needed replacement). They cut and fitted gaskets between the training arms and callipers (I provided the gasket paper) to try and delay the onset of the strange corrosion. Both I and my wallet need time to recover (I had some major dental work done, and my upper jaw is uncomfortable). Still, the improvement in fuel economy (assuming it happens) will help with the wallets' recovery!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 09 Feb 2018, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Your poor wallet James :( I hope it recovers soon...
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Isn't that electrolytic corrosion? A reaction between steel and certain alloys.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, and it was also present on the Xantia, which begs the question; Why, when Citroen became aware of this issue, did they carry the design over to the C5 without fixing the problem?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

interesting to hear about the upper jaws fuel consumption :rofl2: : Is it a reduction or increase in the bottles per evening?
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have some advise to those people who have to replace the blower control module on the C5 Mk1. Prior to fitting, check the solder joins! The one I fitted in December has just stopped working. When I popped it out one of the pins in the two pin connector looked a bit unhappy. However, when I took the covers off all of the solder joins for both connectors were the same shade of silver as the heat sink (not nice and shiny at all!). I am hoping that re-doing the solder joins properly will resolve the issue.

Bugger! It didn't! The two pin plug has also taken damage! Looks like I will have to get one of those plugs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Any pictures to illustrate any of this James?

Sounds like poor workmanship...

Good to flag it up and hopefully others will avoid the same sort of calamity happening...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sorry, but no photographs prior to it being attacked with a soldering iron. I just wanted to get it fixed. Oh well, I have got both of the replacement wiring harnesses ordered.

Jim, if the replacement plugs arrive before next Wednesday could I pop up please? I could crimp them on with tube crimps, but I would much rather they were soldered on. However, my soldering iron will not be man enough for the heavy duty wires.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 22 May 2018, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 16 May 2018, 18:20 Jim, if the replacement plugs arrive before next Wednesday could I pop up please? I could crimp them on with tube crimps, but I would much rather they were soldered on. However, my soldering iron will not be man enough for the heavy duty wires.

Yes, I'll be delighted to see you James :D My calendar is clear until Thursday and then away for the weekend taking part in the Tour of Wessex...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Jim, the cables have not yet arrived. If they do not arrive today will it be OK to pop up next Wednesday? I have found a book you almost certainly will want to borrow; "Carlisle (Citadel) Railway Scenes", and has over 100 black and white photographs. I also have an ISA POST Card for Zel (which would allow for testing of older PCs, if I can remember where I put the bloody thing!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, I'm sorry. Just seen this. I guess you meant this Wednesday just gone.

Due to health issues I'm now away until further notice...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK Jim, get well soon. Is there anything I can do to help? I meant Wednesday 30th. The cables arrived this morning. I can crimp them on, but (given the choice) I would much rather they were soldered on (better mechanical and electrical connections). However, my soldering iron is more suited for circuitry and not cables carrying 40 amps (well, the fuse in the engine bay is 40A). We could also test the two that you have.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+