Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 15 May 2018, 08:47 Try this Jim. :)

http://pedalabikeaway.co.uk/

Thanks Goibbo :D That looks good!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In the north east Beamish museum gets my vote (look on youtube for videos) . If you are going from the north York moors in the Whitby direction there is a nice little cafe at a garden centre at the bottom of a long hill through a little village called 'Sleights', turn right just over the bridge at the bottom. Its on the river bank opposite the steam railway line, nice food too.

Steve.

The first time we went up Sutton Bank it took me completely by surprise, you drive along miles of relatively flat roads, go round a bend and are suddenly confronted by this 'mountain'. Beautiful views from the top though - if you don't run out of fuel going up it.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The best motorway service I have seen is Stafford north bound, big lake and picnic tables, right off the road.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 16 May 2018, 10:08 In the north east Beamish museum gets my vote (look on youtube for videos) .
Peter

Nice to see Beamish still doing their trademark dismantling and re-erecting brick by brick buildings. The latest is to be a Cinema from Ryhope in Sunderland. Cinemas were everywhere in my youth. Consett had the Rex and the Plaza, Stanley the Essoldo. There will be/is (haven't been for a while) Trolley bus line alongside the tramline.
Peter.N. wrote: 16 May 2018, 10:14 The best motorway service I have seen is Stafford north bound, big lake and picnic tables, right off the road.
Peter

Nice to know the good ones Peter, but as far as motorway services go, I always try to look for places just off the motorway. I have recommended turning off to Penrith many times if you go up the M6, and up the A1M Boroughbridge is a good stop off...drive off 1 mile and you could have your sandwiches and a cup of tea down by the Ure/canal or even check out Aldborough and spot the church and the AA village sign!

Wetherby is nice too....Morrisons/M&S picnic to take by the River or Filmore&Union if you want Coffee/Cake or the famous Wetherby Whaler for fish and Chips, and cheaper fuel than the services too!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 May 2018, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 May 2018, 10:35 Nice to see Beamish still doing their trademark dismantling and re-erecting brick by brick buildings.

I spent a great day there in 2012 when I was staying in Durham. I still get emails from them. Pity it's such a long journey to get there.
P1020267.jpg
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I so need to go to Beamish :)

But it'll have to be by bike... No way can I drive there any more :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Out and about again today this time across the border up to North Berwick on another sunny day. Been there plenty of times but today the sea was blue, and it was alfresco cafe weather at its best.

Discovered Steampunk Coffee Roasters absolutely excellent, they roast the beans on the premises, and love the decor even in the WC! very industrial.
Steampunk Coffee Roasters North Berwick
Steampunk Coffee Roasters North Berwick
n falcon 16/05/2018
n falcon 16/05/2018
and here is the Bass Rock, as well as gannets and guano, it had a castle, and has a lighthouse built by one of the "Lighthouse Stevensons" from stone taken from the castle. Cropped up on POTD here
bass rock n berwick
bass rock n berwick
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

An excellent day out Neil :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Arkengarthdale.

Great for the opening credits spotter from All Creatures Great and Small as POTD testifies

Missed out on the watersplash which I imagined was up the road fronm Langthwaite to Tan Hill, but is actually at Gill Gate on the road from Langthwaite to Kearton.

So drove all the way up to the top of the world at Tan Hill to find the famous inn knee deep in mainly german cars logoed up with the Hell Yeah Rally!
Tan Hill Pub 17/05/2018
Tan Hill Pub 17/05/2018
Back Down just past Langthwaite and no doubt Alf White (ie James Heriot) would probably have refueled here
Petrol Pumps near Lanthwaite
Petrol Pumps near Lanthwaite
And into civilisation once more at Reeth with its village green on the hill
Reeth
Reeth
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Tan hill inn 7.jpg
Can anyone read that morse, to much noise in the background to hear it properly and its much faster than the 12 wpm I passed my test at. :oops:

Peter
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Stafford Services Peter, is that the one with the fountain just to the right of the entrance as you go in?

I quite like the one with the big 'Tower thing' painted white & blue, for sheer novelty value; M6 Northbound I think, possibly Sandbach.

Our usual 'major stop' Scotland bound is the Crown Carvery Wigan, not far from the Heinz factory; for an All You Can Eat Breakfast.

Often nice to turn off the motorway, but on a run of several hundred miles doing so can really ruin a schedule, I've noticed that pulling off, having a bathroom break and re-joining eats the better part of 20mins.

Deeply envious of that white Xantia estate, its what I'd have if I had the bottle to own a hydro-pneumatic Citroen
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 18 May 2018, 10:44 Can anyone read that morse, to much noise in the background to hear it properly and its much faster than the 12 wpm I passed my test at. :oops:
Peter
Can't work that one out Peter....any chance of an explanation?
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 18 May 2018, 15:43
I quite like the one with the big 'Tower thing' painted white & blue, for sheer novelty value; M6 Northbound I think, possibly Sandbach.
Its not our old favourite at Lancaster-Forton Services and its space age concrete. Lots of Service station chat on a thread called "Carrying Petrol in Cars.." which veered off-topic!

Regards Neil

PS...and bringing a pic forward from that thread. The alfresco dining terrace at Leicester Forest East in its heyday looks great

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

tis indeed Forton I had in mind, thanks Neil.

I'm also glad of the 'Just Off Junction' link on the same thread; the Crown Carvery off Jn11 M4 is a severe omission though :)

Weird to see the concrete construction of Leicester Forest East looking glamorous! ...almost as weird as me watching the Royal Wedding, not normally a one for such things, this seemed 'almost normal'

Last time I was at Leics Forest East, I was concerned for the health of the car for reasons long since forgotten (possibly HG) and especially keen to get home; so I wasn't best chuffed to somehow 'miss' the M69 and continue M1 Southbound.
Puxa
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Peter.N. wrote: 18 May 2018, 10:44

Must have missed you... :-D