I-Spy AA Village Signs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy AA Village Signs

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Jim spotted this when out and about

Apparently out of 30,000 original AA Village Signs, only 65 exist in situ.
cvphm.org.uk/AAVillageSigns

From 1906 to approximately 1932,The Automobile Association erected nearly 30000 signs in villages and towns across Great Britain. Most were removed during the war when a Nazi invasion seemed highly likely. At the end of World War II, only 600 or so were left and today there are around 65 still in situ around the country. Many more have survived in museums and private collections.
So if you discover one, take a pic of it and post it up.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 May 2018, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: AA Village Signs-FCF Summer Challenge No2-64 left!!

...and according to the CVPHM website......which is the Colne Valley Postal History Museum

This is an example of one that is in situ

.. and with the help of google streetview I can confirm that as of 2012 it was still in situ.

So if you are ever in the vicinity of Marldon, and find yourself in "Love Lane" having a bite to eat or a refreshing pint at the Church House Inn, have a peek to the side and take an interesting original photo of the Sign and post it up :-D

Regards Neil

PS just as a geeky aside the Colne Valley Postal History Museum won the cabin/summerhouse category in "Shed of the Year 2012"
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

....and if you are in Nottinghamshire and fancy a pint at the Unicorn's Head (can't be too many of those) look out for Langar's AA Village sign on the side of the Pub.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Of course there may be some reproductions going about. For £399 you can get a vitreous enamel "AA Village Sign" custom made to include any town or village you decide to input, together with that ever present (apart from original Scottish AA Village signs it seems) ...."distance to London".

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! let the spotting commence ;)

I'd not be surprised to find some hiding in preserved period railway stations around the country...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy-AA Village Signs

Well "The French may have a word for it" but the Off-Topic Chat Lounge usually has has a thread for it :-D

Random Link today....AA Box spotted in someone's garden in Sleaford Lincolnshire by MoMag, led to the revelation that in the Toft Country House Hotel & Golf Club, Toft, Bourne, Lincs PE10 0JT we have this....

The Toft Country House Hotel & Golf Club, Toft, Bourne, Lincs PE10 0JT

This bit of Blurb about the Witham on the Hill equivalent of the "Toft" Sign comes from this document
the Vicar Rev. Cooley mentions (1932) that
“the Automobile Association has provided two round discs at either end of Witham-on-the-Hill, with the name of the village, distance from Bourne, Stamford and London”
All local road signs were removed and hidden at the start of the Second World War,”when the danger of invasion by the enemy was real and menacing” ,but they were put back upin June 1943.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: I-Spy AA Village Signs

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh! You've already got mine Neil :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy AA Village Signs: The List

This is, unless you know different, the most comprehensive list of AA Village Signs in Roadside locations in the United Kingdom. So...oo many things you can do with it! Is there one near you :?:

Here's the challenge :!: . Go and take a photo of your bike/dog/car next to one and post it up....hours of pointless endless fun :-D . Roughly 70 on the list.
Glos/Hereford/Worcs
Spoiler: show
Hawkesbury Upton,Cromhall,Newent,Hillesley,Collington,Woonton,Almeley,Pembridge,Bredon,Clifton on Teme
Norfolk/Suffolk/Notts/Linc/Leic
Itteringham,Kersey,Hartest,Sewstern,Thoresway,Northorp,Langar,Tythby
South (Berks,Northants,Herts/Dorset/Hants/Oxon)
Fringford , Winterbourne ,Tarrant Gunville , Cheddington ,Tichborne Down , Itchen Stoke , Anstey , Kings Cliffe
South West (Devon/Corn/Somer/Wilts)
Megavissey,Mylor Bridge,St Mawes,St Breward,Marldon,Wiggarton,Wearne,Halse,Staple Fitzpaine,Lydeard St Lawrence,Upton,Clapton,Ramsbury,Luckington,Brixton Deverill
Wales
Bosherston,Llanddewi Brefi,Capel Dewi,Y Ferwig,GrosMont,Warren,Cresswell Quay,Hundleton,West Williamston,
Yorkshire
Seaton,North Dalton,East Harsley,Langton,Broughton,Aldborough
North-West England/Scotland/Ireland
Lower Whitley and Norley (Cheshire);Patrickswell,Duncormack and Instiogue (Ireland); Arnprior (Stirling Scotland)
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Jun 2020, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Trip to Cumbria today, Very much an AA Village Signs Hotspot. So here are my original photo's

First up Caldbeck a pictureque little village with a crystal clear stream, rustic stone bridges, nice cafes for coffee and cake, and local arts and crafts. A village shop and garage. Could have done with a slightly more ancient set of pumps for perfection but not bad.
Caldbeck Tithe Barn and AA Village Sign
Caldbeck Tithe Barn and AA Village Sign
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Next up Great Ormside

The sign is on the side of a farm building. Not too many facilities in the village, but nearby is a nice ford and waterfall.
N Falcon 14/05/2018
N Falcon 14/05/2018
geograph stamped image
geograph stamped image
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 14 May 2018, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Next Nateby just a couple of miles out of Kirby Stephen on the Pub Wall just opposite the garage
N Falcon 14/05/2018
N Falcon 14/05/2018
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and rounding of the day's activity

Melmerby

The present owner of the property told me the sign came with the house. It's an original not a reproduction so I hope they preserve it as a roadside feature as originally intended rather than take it down and sell it on e-bay :-D I did mention this to her (tactfully of course :) )
N Falcon 14/05/2018
N Falcon 14/05/2018
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Three from a nice drive out around North Yorkshire

First up Great Broughton a couple of miles out of Stokesley on the road to Helmsley
Great Broughton N.Yorks
Great Broughton N.Yorks
next the beautiful little village of Langton just south of Malton N Yorks
Langton N Yorks
Langton N Yorks
and Aldborough nr Boroughbridge North Yorks. Chatted with the owner of "Aldborough Dairy" who had found the sign in their attic, and it fitted exactly the original location on the side of the old dairy where it is now.
Aldborough nr Boroughbridge N.Yorks
Aldborough nr Boroughbridge N.Yorks
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Just noticed the ‘Toft’ AA sign post. I live at Bourne so just up the road from Toft.
The sign was on the side of a house in the village that had been the Butchers Arms pub, I didn’t know it had been moved to the hotel (that had been a private house until the early eighties).

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Bludgeoning way off topic.......I am sure Richmond would not want itself described as a mere "village" and the sign strictly speaking is not the usual record of distances to other places and the ubiqitous reference as to how far the place is from London.

But 50 points at least for an unusual spot!

Richmond AA Sign
Richmond AA Sign
In Situ Reeth Road Richmond
In Situ Reeth Road Richmond
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey