Recalls.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Recalls.

Post by qprdude »

Citroen DS5 Vin number ***********************

"In a very limited number of vehicles it is necessary to check the presence of specific spot welds on the body shell. Should it be identified that one of the welds has been missed in production, the vehicle cannot be repaired. In the long term, and in very rare cases , body noises and squeaking could appear"

Firstly, if there is no fix, is there a point in recalling the car just to look at it?

Secondly, the recall wording. "Body noises" are heard in my car all the time.
Squeaking is also heard when the boss is with me.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Recalls.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very interesting Rick - if your car is in the range and has a a spot weld missing - then guess what - you get a replacement car!! :-D

BUT, sadly, I think your VIN is just a little outside the range :cry:
Recalls: Citroen DS5
2012 Citroen DS5: spot welds may not hold
In March 2013, a recall was issued for Citroen DS5 vehicles that were manufactured from 6 November 2012 to 14 November 2012. On a limited number of vehicles, one of the spot welds may have been omitted in production. Over time and in rare cases, the driver may notice unusual and squeaking noises as a result of this defect. For the recalled vehicles, the bodies were to be inspected and, if a spot weld had been omitted, the vehicle would be replaced. The recalled Citroen DS5 vehicles had VINs in the range VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]******CS524889 to VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]******CS525904 (R/2013/030).
I suspect they need to verify whether the weld is actually there or not - considering that if it isn't they are going to have to cough up for a new car!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Oh bugger. I read the recall as there was no fix so live with it. Looks like I'm just under a couple of thousand cars young to benefit from a freebie.(1602, to be precise). I suspect they would fight tooth and nail to avoid giving out replacement cars. Pity they don't say where the spot weld is. If its on the shell to the chassis it won't be an easy task even though they know exactly which weld is missing and can get visual access.
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They'd probably take the trim off / protection - should be visible enough once they know where it is.

It is very strange how they determine these VIN sequences for recalls as I am aware, for example, of drivers with the windscreen wiper motor recall issue that were outside the VIN range - but still had the same issues as those who had the units replaced. I suspect there may be a few outside their capture windows to be honest Rick.

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

There's no way of checking and certainly no way of forcing them to check, unfortunately.
Rick.

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A missing spot weld on the body would actually constitue quite a serious flaw. The bodyshell would have undergone crash testing and certification to a standard spec and construction method, remove an operation from that construction process and the bodyshell would no longer be compliant to the relevant quality and safety standards. There would be no 'get out clause' for Citroen as they cannot claim the weld is missing due to wear and tear / customer modification / etc, and it would be a clear case of selling a car that does not meet stated crash safety standards. There would also be a case for opening legal proceding against Citroen if, in the event of an accident and the car occupants were injured, it could be proved that the injuries were more severe due to the car not meeting the required crash standards.

In interesting other developments regarding recalls - I see that the DVSA are launching a criminal investigation against Vauxhall (now owned by PSA, lest we forget) regarding the well known Zafira fires that have been occurring. This is an interesting development as the car industry in general has normally been fairly immune to such 'government' legal actions - being as the industry is a large employer and no politician wants job losses on their patch due to a manufacturer shifting production elsewhere. Even more interesting, the Zafira fires were mainly due to fires from badly fitted aftermarket blower resistors due to the original ones failing - so the fires aren't directly Vauxhall's fault. Perhaps the DVSA considers Vauxhall should have done more to warn owners of the perils of doing 'bodge jobs' when replacing the original duff resistors. Perhaps Vauxhall shouldn't have fitted 'duff' resistors in the first place ??? Perhaps the legal procedings have nothing to do with Zafira fires and are in fact a Government inspired 'shot across the bows' to the motor industry as a whole and is directed towards Europe with the implication being - "play ball over BREXIT or we'll start holding manufacturers to account.... and nobody wants that to happen" :lol:
Further reading on the Zafira fires:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43987134

And.... we can soon look forward to rather overcrowded CitroenPeugeotDSVAuxhall showrooms:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43789933
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The concerned heater parts that are going on fire are actually Fiat parts. Quite a few fiats suffer from the same problem, the doblo for one.
To be fair this type of fault is not a new thing. Many times over the years on lots of different makes & models of car i have replaced loads of heater resistors that have been not far off being a ‘thermal incident’.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Interesting stories from Rome this week about bus fires caused by electrical faults, whole bus ends up as a burnt out shell. You might have thought that a self-immolating service bus near the Trevi fountain would have caused a major fuss and immediate recall: the reaction locally is "oh, there goes another one". 10 so far this year, 22 last year. Only one slightly singed passer-by. Presumably the fires will stop when they have run out - 300 on the fleet so they're 10% of the way through them already.

Back to topic, recalls and a more general question. I know that if there is a mandated safety recall DVLA use their database to contact registered keepers. You can look them up as well. If its a 'running repairs' not safety critical recall I think the manufacturers make contact. I have heard vague stories about recalls for my Picasso, adblue cap and a check on clutch linkage, maybe more. I bought it c. 1 year old from a distant Citroen dealer, had it serviced last year at a local Citroen dealer who gave up the franchise (grrrr), so I guess I'm out of the communication loop.

Is there a place online to go look and get an authoritative list of Citroen safety and non-safety recalls for a particular VIN number?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I found the BMW issue interesting in that they 'extended' their recall to include prior vehicles outside the previous recall cohort. That tells me that the system they have at the factory is not really fit for purpose considering those that had the same issues on earlier cars.

I suspect that it will make other manufacturers sit up and re-evaluate any similar scenarios.

Marc
fastjet
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 mk1

Post by fastjet »

The VX blower resistors have been an issue for some time. I had a 2003 Vectra C in 2003 that had a blower resistor failure, fortunately with no consequences. The thermal fuse on the VX ones blows at quite a low temperature for fire safety reasons. Rummer has it that the aftermarket ones had a higher temperature fuse fitted, hence the problems. My VX resistor pack cost £70 in 2003, the blown thermal fuse is 25p, but you could not buy the correct value at that time to make a safe repair.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

According to the DVSA recalls website https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recall ... lt.asp?tx= a safety recall is such that....

"Safety defect - A safety related defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom."
Vehicle safety defects and recalls: code of practice : https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-practice

I would presume the dreaded C5 X7 steering rack failures don't fail "without prior warning to the user" so aren't considered a safety defect :shock:
GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 May 2018, 19:50 I found the BMW issue interesting in that they 'extended' their recall to include prior vehicles outside the previous recall cohort. That tells me that the system they have at the factory is not really fit for purpose considering those that had the same issues on earlier cars.
It tells me that motor manufacturer's primary concern is making money :roll: Safety is just far enough down the priorities list that it doesn't hit profits too hard 8-[
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would have to agree, considering the VW scandal, it doesn’t seem to have dented their profits too much, but for BMW, I suspect it has taken them down a few pegs in the eyes of those who think they can do no wrong!

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

bobins wrote: 10 May 2018, 21:09 It tells me that motor manufacturer's primary concern is making money :roll: Safety is just far enough down the priorities list that it doesn't hit profits too hard 8-[

I once heard the quote that "Ford is not in the business of making cars, they are in the business of making money".

Universally applicable it seems.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote: 10 May 2018, 21:40
bobins wrote: 10 May 2018, 21:09 It tells me that motor manufacturer's primary concern is making money :roll: Safety is just far enough down the priorities list that it doesn't hit profits too hard 8-[

I once heard the quote that "Ford is not in the business of making cars, they are in the business of making money".

Universally applicable it seems.

And Ford have a history of making vehicles that need to be recalled. Ford Pinto, anybody?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Serious question - is there actually a reliable, mass market, car manufacturer that doesn't treat their customers with contempt once they've bought the car ? In the last few years there's been problems with VW, BMW, Citroen and the damned steering racks, I know Peugeot can be a pain, Vauxhall and their flambé'd Zafiras. How do Ford, Renault, Volvo, Mercedes, Kia, and all the others fare ?