Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim »

Got a book on it here Andy and to be honest, quite relishing the challenge and learning something new :)

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

if the Carlton's got value Zel, do as little as you possibly can with the paint, I've heard many stories over the years of well intentioned owners ruining a bike's value by respraying it. Clearly damage has been done, but a suitable spray job on the forks would improve matters a lot. The rake on those forks looks suspiciously 'Tourer' ish to me, by the way, check they're Sports forks before you go too far with 'em.

Big old frame that Jim, is it a 25"? Don't be 'frightened' of wheel building, its not that hard, largely requires patience and a jig.... I always had the patience, but never the jig, so mine was a bit 'hit & miss', but the method is really quite simple.

NB: if anyone can use em, I'm holding a pair of Raleigh Record Sprint wheels. I've been really torn what to do with 'em for ages now, I shod em with new 20C's a couple of years back. Unfortunately, having done that (which is a pig of a job on these, the rim sides are very 'tall', I hated them on 'real world roads' and took em off after only about 20miles use. They're rare coz they're the early 'Concave' style rims and I rebuilt the rear with a Maillard Screw type hub in place of the original Helicomatic. I'd quite like at least £20 to cover what I laid out for the tyres & tubes. Pic is old by the way but will take fresh pics if anyone's interested.

Still using bikes of (almost) this era: 1980's Pug HLE and Raleigh Routier.
Attachments
DSC00406.JPG

Gibbo2286
donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I used to ride a hundred miles most Sundays 'when I were a lad' but it was for pleasure not for speed, I visited all the touristy places north and south of Birmingham.
Frequent trips to Stratford on Avon, stopping on the way for Henley in Arden ice cream.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
03 May 2018, 14:55
if the Carlton's got value Zel, do as little as you possibly can with the paint, I've heard many stories over the years of well intentioned owners ruining a bike's value by respraying it. Clearly damage has been done, but a suitable spray job on the forks would improve matters a lot.

The photos really flatter it with regards to its current state to be honest. The paint is uneven, not of great quality and a far brighter green than it looks there. Any value has already gone out the window most likely, so I may as well go what I can at least to make it look as presentable as I can.

It's been in the family long enough that the sentimental value far outweighs any monetary value it might have anyway to be totally honest.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Amongst lots of other work today to clear the decks for the weekend of running fun, I gave the Saxo a full service and a good scrub, both inside and out...

The Saxo is just about perfect, nothing needed any attention except for the routine service items. I changed the oil on a time-basis and the old oil was still a bit translucent...

She's a little cracker of a car :D

Here she is after a good bath... She needed it badly :twisted:
Own Work
Own Work
I also fired up the Ka. She's not been touched for weeks upon weeks but she started instantly... Another little cracker of a car :D

She'll now soon be welded and back on the road...

The garden also received a lot of attention today too... Not so much fun as playing cars but it looks like I'm in for a good strawberry harvest and hopefully, many jars of jam :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Ah, gardening...

Crammed another green bin full of bits of hedge cuttings today...still hasn't made any appreciable dent in the pile after several months. Did uncover an ant colony though, which they weren't too pleased about. I seriously need to hire a wood chipper.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Some hard work on the garden this year will reap huge benefits in the coming years Zel, I worked really hard to pull mine into shape a couple of years ago now and it's now quite easy and not too onerous to maintain it...

Worth it as less time in the garden = more time playing cars ;)

Wood chippers are fun :D

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:56
Wood chippers are fun :D

And, used properly, can also save time in the kitchens of fast food take-aways as well!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Biggest challenge I've got is just the sheer volume of waste that I've got to get rid of already, given that I've already filled all the spaces that I can put it without annoying the neighbours by piling it up in the middle of the front garden. Being mostly bits of conifer the problem is that it's springy, fluffing difficult to saw, and brushy nonsense that occupies about 20 times more volume once it's cut down than seems physically possible. The Saab was by far the car with the greatest cargo carrying volume I've ever had, but even that you could have full to bursting in about five minutes. Chipping it is really the only sensible way to get it into an easily baggable and transportable format.

The fact that the previous owners have let everything grow wild for a decade really hasn't done us any favours.

Gibbo2286
donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My daughter sent me a Marks and Spencer small half barrel planter with a few plants including a 'dwarf' fir tree about 8 inches tall, I popped it in the garden when the wooden barrel fell to pieces, earlier this year I called in the local tree experts to remove this now 24 foot tall 'dwarf'

They were here only about forty five minutes, felled the tree, ground out the stump, carried the debris out to an industrial wood chipper on their Land Rover trailer and all gone, no sign the tree was ever there.

Cost me £192 all in but well worth it.

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Strawberry plot also looking fabulous here Jim :)
Attachments
20180505_201000.jpg

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

05 May 2018, 20:12
Strawberry plot also looking fabulous here Jim :)

That plot is looking very good Puxa... Excellent! Do you make jam or do they not hang around long enough for that?

This weekend has been all about running in the MK Marathon Weekend...

Yesterday I ran the Rocket 5K - so-called because it's a fast one all downhill almost. I got a good time but not the best as I was near the back of the start pen and there was lots of initial congestion.. The first K was little m ore than walking pace... Still did it in 25 minutes and given the intense jeat that was not bad...

Today was the Half Marathon in really intense heat... I thoroughly enjoyed it and did it in just under two hours :-D Given the conditions that was realy quite excellent!

Here it is in Strava :)
Own Work via Strava
Own Work via Strava
And here's all the bling I won! One medal for the Rocket, one for the half and one for running both!
Own Work
Own Work
And not only that, I cycled to and from the venue - another 16 miles on top of the 13.1 I ran...

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Thanks Jim, no generally we have them with Cream, before the Slugs and Snails get 'em. 'tis especially nice for it to be looking so good as last year's crop was pathetic. Removing the half-glazed Greenhouse I had erected over them has helped I think*

It was a bit of a downer to recently learn that Hedgehogs aren't that partial to Slugs, maybe they've learnt that they can be full of poison pellets; we've got at least two 'Resident'.... there was me thinking they were my unpaid garden helpers. :-D

My knee would let its less than perfect condition very known if I were to try to run any distance (especially downhill, where you need to 'brake') and while you were doing a half-Marathon, I was thinking better of making a 25metre journey to the end of our front jungle with the lawnmower..... bit of a difference eh! I'm really quite incredulous that you can manage such things in these conditions. Good on ya!

I did take the ATB out earlier on a rare jaunt along the Thames Path, far more appropriate off-road than the sports bike, but its such a waste of space on the Asphalt to get it there & back it takes the joy out of it.

*talking of which, an idea for a Thread 'What's the Biggest thing you've had in the car'

PS: Zel, do give a thought to burning your garden waste: its not that smokey if its dry, and if you butter up the neighbours with a bottle of plonk, an apology in advance and a warning to get the washing in; you'll find it a very quick & effective means of waste removal, the law's a lot laxer about 'when' than many people think, too. If your drive's gravel, scrape the gravel back for a fire site and re-cover afterwards.

Michel

Post by Michel »

You must be somewhere vaguely near me if you're near the Thames path. Yes. I know it's about 59 miles long :) I often ride from Sonning to Henley down it, but actually getting the 2 miles to Sonning and the 4 miles back from Henley home on off-road tyres on the road is hard work!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

07 May 2018, 17:30
I was thinking better of making a 25metre journey to the end of our front jungle with the lawnmower..... bit of a difference eh!

No! I'd say that was well equivalent to a half-marathon ;) Beating a garden into shape is much harder than running in my book...

Biggest load in any car I've owned is two Hoover 'Keymatic' washing machines in the back of one of my R4s back in the late 70s...

I used to love my old 'bow-front' Keymatics and got one and one for spares...

One of these:
Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons