On TV...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: On TV...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Currently on BBC2; Super Fast Falcon. Absolutely brilliant program about the Peregrine Falcon. Watching three falcons from hatching to success (wild ones, in Chicago), and one captive bred from egg to stoop. They can accelerate at a phenomenal rate; 'Moses' went from zero to 100MPH in two seconds. There is a lot more besides (such as the ability to handle G forces of 18G!).

The end sequence was 'Rudy' (the captive bred falcon) going up against an Olympic free style skier in a downhill race. The skier had a lure loosely attached to his helmet, as something for 'Rudy' to aim for. The skier tried everything he could to prevent being caught, but eventually 'Rudy' got the lure.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Watching Wheeler Dealers yesterday, recorded recently from FreeSat (Quest), Renault Alpine A310.

I'd never seen one before, I was aware of the earlier A110 and the later A610; but not this one from the late 1970's.

I did note with a wry chuckle that the Dealer, who had all sorts of expensive Sports Exotica; from which the car was sourced presumably had insufficient interest in ensuring his cars were 'sound' to so much as leave them ticking over for 10mins and then move them forward and check for fluids beneath; this one boiled up on the return drive and Edd noted that the fault had clearly existed for some time. Shocking really.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is Wheeler Dealers still fronted by that odious character Mike Brewer or whatever his name is?

Because of him I just can't watch it.. Don't know why, I just find him totally revolting and obnoxious...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

'fraid so Jim.

Seems to be the way with these programmes, you've got Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealer's who's a tw*t, and Fuzz Townshend's idiot Sidekick, name escapes me; who I find considerably more annoying than Mr Brewer, on Car SOS.

Thing to do is watch it Recorded and use the F.Fwd button to whizz past the irritants, best of both worlds.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good advice Puxa ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

no mention of Flipping Bangers yet!!!

BX Gti 16v resurrected

http://www.blaze.tv/catchup/watch/28525335

from the original production team - well some of it - of Wheeler dealers in the early days, these are proper real world bodgers.

they've done so far, Spitfire, MR2 and Golf GTi
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

old'uns wrote: 02 May 2018, 20:51 no mention of Flipping Bangers yet!!!

BX Gti 16v resurrected

http://www.blaze.tv/catchup/watch/28525335

Thanks for the link. I like that...no registration/passwords just click and watch!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

nice to see a quirky French motor as the subject of such a show.

Its from brilliantly produced, I'd far rather see limited air time used for footage of Maintenance / Structure / Servicing than tea-making and there's plenty of times I think to myself, 'this just doesn't add up', but its decent enough light entertainment all the same; and not as bad as that garbage new series ITV did recently. Thanks for the link :-D

NB: curiously, a Google of Graveley Motors (guessing it was an 'a' that wasn't visible in the workshop shot) comes back to "AZ Autos", I would imagine this place is well known to Citroen fans anyway though.
Puxa
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just started on BBC4; "Jumbo: the Plane that changed the World". I have seen it before, and it is an incredible story.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

The Motorbike Show just finished on ITV4 and a thing of beauty appeared half way through...
screenshot The Motorbike Show ITV4
screenshot The Motorbike Show ITV4
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Saw this series advertised on TV...on the Yesterday Channel

Abandoned Engineering

Haven't seen a single episode but its the sort of thing I would find interesting!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

It's a very interesting series ..... if you can get past the rather annoying talking heads trying to explain what it all means like they've always known about each site - and not just read the blurb that some researcher has just handed them :lol:
The 'scaffolding' that the title sequence is based on is the old Duga 3 Russian 'Woodpecker' over the horizon radar based only just down the road from Chernobyl. When Chernobyl had its little accident and most of the area was evacuated, the poor sods running the Woodpecker site had to sit tight as the Russian Government wasn't prepared to abandon it too quickly :shock:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

University Challenge is Back!

New season starts 8.30 BBC2 tonight!

Warwick V Exeter

I will probably be rooting for Exeter seeing as its only 10 miles from one of the three unclaimed AA Boxes (Great Britain) in the FCF Challenge!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

omg, are you that clever? =D>

Keen watcher of The Chase, but not Uni Challenge is well beyond me
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 21:02 omg, are you that clever? =D>

Keen watcher of The Chase, but not Uni Challenge is well beyond me

I have watched University Challenge from when Bamber Gascoigne was a lad, so I am a pretty good guesser!
Not tonight though, first game of the new season...not match fit yet!

I like the "Who Dares Wins" show. The films of Leonardo di Caprio came up as a subject and while the contestants rattled off film after film I had never heard of I could only come up with Titanic! Then there was artists who had appeared in James Corden's "Car pool Karaoke". Again not my strong point.

Regards Neil

PS Interesting former students of the two universities tonight revealed in the intros....

David Davies....former Brexit secretary of course for Warwick and JK Rowling for Exeter
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey