Xantia Hydraulic Pump Rebuild

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Re: Xantia Hydraulic Pump Rebuild

Post by bill hughes »

Please excuse my ignorance but is this the power steering pump you are working on as mine is leaking from the base of the 19mm plug that has a 12mm plug with a rubber pipe that goes down to the passenger side front sphere, on the inside of the 19mm plug is a rubber tap type washer, I checked with Citroen's and they said no parts for the unit are availlable, only a new pump at over 1000 euros, my question is where did you buy your rebuild kit and is on availlable for the power steering pump, many thanks for any help.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

bill hughes wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 18:33 Please excuse my ignorance but is this the power steering pump you are working on as mine is leaking from the base of the 19mm plug that has a 12mm plug with a rubber pipe that goes down to the passenger side front sphere, on the inside of the 19mm plug is a rubber tap type washer, I checked with Citroen's and they said no parts for the unit are availlable, only a new pump at over 1000 euros, my question is where did you buy your rebuild kit and is on availlable for the power steering pump, many thanks for any help.

Assuming that we are all talking about the Xantia (post 1994), then if your only leak is from the high pressure outlet, as you seem to describe, then it is almost always sufficinet to change just the O-ring that is leaking. The o-rings you require is 19mm diameter, 2.4mm round section.

I have previously used 2.5mm section rings from this supplier: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Viton ... aVRYmLc4RA Viton rings should last longer than the nitrile rings originally used by Citroen.
FRJoey46
My Cars: Citroen Xantia HDI 2.0 90 CV (horse power)

Post by FRJoey46 »

Okay I didn't realise I could press the pulley itself off,how? I removed the section easily after unscrewibg the three long bolts and only saw what is pictured so you mean the pulley wheel comes apart separately too? Thanks I was thinking of tapping with a hammer but worried about the thread probably unnecessarily. I'm an amateur but never afraid to try fixing things. After all what os there to lose besides the skin off your knuckles lol. I think the leak was from one of the six small grub screws any way but would like to sell a properly reconditioned pump with a clear conscience! Thanks very much indeed chaps wish me luck. I may be I touch again with more pics for the sake of it
FRJoey46

Post by FRJoey46 »

Bill Hughes (and all who are interested), you're talking about the master cylinder (i think) which I bought reconditioned on xantia.fr for 190 euros same place i bought the kit of o rings when only a couple left in stock ...30 euros! I'm the picture is one of the 19mm hex bolts that may be the same as the one you are changing? I'm confused by the two o rings from the kit I have-also pictured that appear as if they will push on with lots of fiddly effort. As this wasn't the leak area I might leave as is but advice is welcome from anyone. The link for eBay could be the answer cos remember just cos Citroen don't bother making replacement bits available doesn't mean you can't find someone who does a generic version.It's just a washer after all. Looks like I may have bought a reconditioned pump when I only needed an O ring. Already I only paid 30euros 2nd hand. So look at xantia.fr online as parts come and go all the time. Cheers
Attachments
20180424_105752.jpg
FRJoey46

Post by FRJoey46 »

Forgot to say Bill,my pump is for the alternator belt etc located beside the timing belt.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If it doesn't yeild, I would get loan of a heavy duty 18v impact driver from garage mechanic. Those tools will shift without breaking.
I can drive 4" screws into hard wood without pilot holes, then take them out, without breaking the screw. Without impact vibration, the screws usually break taking them out.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

Many thanks for all your replies which I have only just seen as I have been having problems with my password, I now have a kit coming from Plaeides and hope to have my car back on the road soon, I hav'ent had any luck getting a kit from France, but that does not surprise me

thanks again Bill
bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

Hi all would anyone know if I need to de-pressurise the system before removing pipes from the power steering pump many thanks Bill
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow