Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 21:23
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 18:57 aren't we all forgetting how appalling run, expensive to use and badly maintained our railways are.

A quick shufti at National Rail's journey planner advises me that a morning journey 90miles into my London terminal will set me back £109.50 for a journey that I can do with a tenner's worth of diesel.

At tenner ? Pfft. :lol: £2.70 of electricity for my Ion to go 90 miles. Makes rail look even worse. :twisted:

Even cheaper on my bike...

Hang on though - I'd likely eat more than £2.70 in food to fuel me over such a distance :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 05:16 Even cheaper on my bike...

Hang on though - I'd likely eat more than £2.70 in food to fuel me over such a distance :lol:

Good point! :lol:

How many calories would you have to burn to cycle 90 miles ??
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 08:55
CitroJim wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 05:16 Even cheaper on my bike...

Good point! :lol:

How many calories would you have to burn to cycle 90 miles ??

My Garmin tells me I see off around 1200 in 50 miles so getting on for over 2000 I'd estimate...

Not far off an average adult male daily intake...

If riding that in a day I'd be looking to take on about 5000 high-quality calories in total...

Saturday will be a good test... I'm riding near-70 miles around the New Forest...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Talking of the New Forest, and of rail fares, there are some surprisingly cheap advance fares available on Cross Country
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

never any sense in a slanging match wurlycorner, except to say that your position is hardly unbiased....

...but to be fair to you; the flip side of that is that you might also be better informed than me. :-D

And while I could probably trawl for media information to 'prove' how shoddy the railways are, anyone in his right mind realises that the media tell us what they choose; and what you believe tends to relate to what side of the fence you're sitting on in the first place. Currently, its lets rubbish the UK Trucker.... with the likely result that even more foreign companies will take a greater proportion of the business.

If you can explain briefly though, I'd be curious why we pour substantial sums of public money into a company that's been private for about three decades ago, that seems just odd. Is it coz they know the roads couldn't cope if the railways weren't available?

If its any comfort, last time I went to London, by coach, I hated it and swore 'never again', it only cost me £3.50 each away, but it was very inconvenient and whoever designed the suspension of the coach wanted shooting!

Anyways, Greenhouse beckons.

Me thinks the real solution here though is to go around and steal Mandrake's Ion though [only joking!] :rofl2:
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

andy5 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 11:12 Talking of the New Forest, and of rail fares, there are some surprisingly cheap advance fares available on Cross Country

Sadly, Beeching closed the most useful New Forest station at Holmsley on the old Brockenhurst to Ringwood line :(

I enjoy train travel and is my default choice. Certainly it's the only way to travel to London and many other large cities... Saves a lot of stress trying to drive there.

I've not ridden a coach since before the war. I will never ride one as I'm a shockingly bad passenger in any road vehicle and would be terrified for every second of the journey. I'd rather walk.

I can just about tolerate an urban bus ride as they rarely exceed about 20mph...

Likewise I'll never, ever ride a taxi... Same reason but moreso...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 18:07 I have the same taste in tv as you Neil, Only connect and University Challenge :) so I watched the linked programme on catch up this afternoon.

Yes and the one fascinating fact I picked up from only connect this week.....

Where the term "Mayday!" (as in the international radio distress signal used by ships and aircraft) comes from.

Yes it comes from the French M'aide! Help Me!

Never knew, do now

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 17:12 never any sense in a slanging match wurlycorner, except to say that your position is hardly unbiased....

...but to be fair to you; the flip side of that is that you might also be better informed than me. :-D

And while I could probably trawl for media information to 'prove' how shoddy the railways are, anyone in his right mind realises that the media tell us what they choose; and what you believe tends to relate to what side of the fence you're sitting on in the first place. Currently, its lets rubbish the UK Trucker.... with the likely result that even more foreign companies will take a greater proportion of the business.

If you can explain briefly though, I'd be curious why we pour substantial sums of public money into a company that's been private for about three decades ago, that seems just odd. Is it coz they know the roads couldn't cope if the railways weren't available?

If its any comfort, last time I went to London, by coach, I hated it and swore 'never again', it only cost me £3.50 each away, but it was very inconvenient and whoever designed the suspension of the coach wanted shooting!

Anyways, Greenhouse beckons.

Me thinks the real solution here though is to go around and steal Mandrake's Ion though [only joking!] :rofl2:

Which company would that be?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

I wouldn't know, but if you google "UK Government Rail Subsidy" as I just did, you'll find some very unexciting looking links there

I can't honestly claim to have clicked on any of them, statistics just ain't my thing, but horses for courses......
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

The trouble with our railways is the companies have absolutely no interest interest in running trains & if they could devise a means of lining their directors' & shareholders' pockets without doing so, they would. Just as banks treat their customers as a necessary evil, so the train companies view passengers as a nuisance.
Strangely, this does not seem to be the case in those countries where the trains are run by the companies that own ours!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 00:58 Just as banks treat their customers as a necessary evil, so the train companies view passengers as a nuisance.

As ever was and years back they took the same attitude with freight too... They did all they could to push as much onto the roads as possible...

I get the same feeling about Co Op food stores too...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 20:15 I wouldn't know, but if you google "UK Government Rail Subsidy" as I just did, you'll find some very unexciting looking links there

I can't honestly claim to have clicked on any of them, statistics just ain't my thing, but horses for courses......

The reason I asked is that Network Rail is not a private company it's nationalised and that is where the great majority of the rail subsidy goes.

We have the nonsense situation of one government owned business, the Rail Regulator, setting targets and then fining another government owned business, Network Rail, for being unable to meet those targets.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

what a ridiculous situation! I would imagine that I'm far from the first to make this mistake then.

'Nonsense' and 'Government' not often you find those two words in the same sentence (sic) =D>
Puxa
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 12:36 what a ridiculous situation! I would imagine that I'm far from the first to make this mistake then.

'Nonsense' and 'Government' not often you find those two words in the same sentence (sic) =D>

It was even more ridiculous before, when Railtrack didn't maintain the tracks and systems properly, causing several notorious accidents, and then panicked into possibly too much preventive maintenance for places they didn't keep records for, the company collapsed as the shareholders wouldn't help sort it out, and instead they later received compensation for their poor investments, and even after Railtrack was gone Network Rail had to assume paying Railtrack's compensation to Virgin for late work completion on the West Coast line, and a fine years several later for Railtrack's responsibility for the Potters Bar accident.

It's not very surprising nobody has dared privatise the tracks again.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

andy5 wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:36
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 12:36 what a ridiculous situation! I would imagine that I'm far from the first to make this mistake then.

It was even more ridiculous before, when Railtrack didn't maintain the tracks and systems properly, causing several notorious accidents, and then panicked into possibly too much preventive maintenance for places they didn't keep records for, the company collapsed as the shareholders wouldn't help sort it out, and instead they later received compensation for their poor investments, and even after Railtrack was gone Network Rail had to assume paying Railtrack's compensation to Virgin for late work completion on the West Coast line, and a fine years several later for Railtrack's responsibility for the Potters Bar accident.

It's not very surprising nobody has dared privatise the tracks again.

You missed out the fact that John Prescott and his bagman Stephen Byers deliberately engineered the downfall of Railtrack Andy, as he promised to do when it was denationalised if he got back into government.