More starting troubles 306DT

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

More starting troubles 306DT

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Hi Guys,
Bought a p-reg 306 dt with an original 60 k on the clock-all fully serviced up to 55K (two years ago - old boy had the car and was doing zero miles in it!) SO the car is about to get a good full service this month.
Typicaly - three days ago I hit major starting troubles - the starter turns the engine, but it just will not catch. Takes five minutes to get the car fired. It then runs lumpy and there is a heck of a lot of white smoke (the problem kind NOT cold exhaust kind)
After the car is warm it runs without a puff of smoke, and starts perfectly. Feels great on the road too.
I thought it was the pre-heat, but can hear that clicking off an on without any problem. Does it still do that if it's not working properly?
The haynes manual suggests enginge damage if not the pre-heat? Any ideas?
The car is a commute-and I'm having to muck about doing all of this before it gets light. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Blaggy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The glow relay will still operate and click wether all or none of the glowplugs are working, though if none are working you would hardly have a prayer of starting it on the bobbin from cold.
Disconect the wiring from the plugs and check for open circuits and reststance, good plugs should have less than 1 ohm resistance, new Beru and Bosh are 0.5 ohm.
Next cold start give the hand primer a good few pumps, if it starts ok then you probably have air getting in, if so check the leakoff pipes first.
If it needs plugs, get Beru or Bosch td plugs.
Dave
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Dave,
thanks for the info.
I tried to clear the fuel of an y air already-dodn';t see any bubbles. Will double try again today as managed to start the car today without too many troubles.
Don;t have any electrical test equipment so have booked it in for a full service and cambelt change. Lot's of money but everyone has to treat there cars now and again-even me :-)
Anyhow - thanks
Blaggy
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

All sorted!!
The garage just replaced the glow plugs-one was knackered completely-another badly cracked and on the way out.
Massive differencein starting-and feels more powerful on the road.
Thanks
Blaggy