Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by Gibbo2286 »

van ordinaire wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 23:18 I've never understood why we had diesels at all - & didn't go straight to electrification.

Probably because most cities had only recently dumped electric trams tore up the tracks and replaced them with diesel buses ............seemed like a good idea at the time. 8-)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 11:24 ............seemed like a good idea at the time. 8-)

As a lot of ideas do :roll: :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

van ordinaire wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 23:18 I've never understood why we had diesels at all - & didn't go straight to electrification.

Cost.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

bobins wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 20:11 It's a pity the third rail system we've got down this neck of the woods can't be used across the country as there's absolutely zero overhead catenary associated with it and it can't, realistically, be stolen. The main - and somewhat difficult to overcome - drawback is people will insist on getting electrocuted on them :(

Thats not the biggest problem with it. The bigger problem is that it's a horribly inefficient distribution system. Low voltage does not travel long distances so you need booster and additional sub-stations very frequently (which are expensive bits of kit). Plus because it's low voltage it has to run very high current, so the switchgear has to be bigger (and hence more expensive). You are limited to the overall capacity of power available (for same reasons) which limits either the quantity of trains that can be run in comparison with OLE, or the hotel load (equipment in the train) it can support.
Plus you have horrible problems with EMC at low level (which means you have to replace and/or immunise loads of existing trackside equipment, not least of which the signalling system) and you have to change the entire earthing/bonding system. For maintenance (including ordinary track and civil maintenance) you have to use expensive insulated tools everywhere, you need additional intrusive isolations just to carry some maintenance / inspections that in an ole area can be done without isolating the supply, it costs a lot more to maintain (the third rail doesn't last anything like as long and ole systems), it doesn't like snow and ice...

Etc.

Aside from that, yeah, it's great in comparison to overhead line :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The Office of Rail Regulation seems to rule out any further third rail expansion unless you've got a really really good excuse for it due to good old 'elf 'n' safety 8-[ :
Quote: " There is a presumption against the reasonable practicability of new-build or extended DC third rail in view of the safety requirements duty holders must satisfy in order to justify the use of third rail."
and: "ORR considers that the weight of safety evidence creates a presumption against new-build or extended third rail being reasonably practicable. A duty holder will therefore need to demonstrate, to ORR’s satisfaction, that any proposed new-build or extended third rail proposal complies with the applicable legislation and be able to explain how and why it rebuts this presumption."
http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_fil ... tement.pdf

Spoilsports :cry:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

So it's only the ORR that doesn't know people get electrocuted by overhead cables?!

In London there was about 10 years between the last tram & the 1st diesel train

How is electrification cheaper now than 60 years ago - by more than the cost of the dieselisation programme?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

van ordinaire wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 23:14 So it's only the ORR that doesn't know people get electrocuted by overhead cables?!

It is considerably more difficult - you basically have to try to get electrocuted by overhead line, whereas it's very easy to get electrocuted by third rail.
I've worked in both third rail and overhead line depots and there is absolutely no question which is safer, for a whole host of reasons. Live conductors that you can inadvertently tread onto/walk into/bump into, are really, really bad idea...
--
Iain

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Logic dictates that all that must be true BUT people do get killed by overhead lines, although you would think that's actually quite difficut, even though you only need to get too close BUT - never understimate stupidity! Curiously, news stories of people killed by overhead lines seem to be more common than those who suffer the same fate from a 3rd rail.

By an amazing coincidence there was a snippet in this morning's paper about an unsuccessful attempt, under the Freedom Of Information Act, to obtain info. on diesel locomotive emissions. Despite the fact there is no data to disclose it is still maintained that the problem in London is mainly attributable to motor vehicles, particularly diesels - sorry, where's the evidence?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Looks like emissions from diesel locomotives over the long term will wither on the vine if the UK's ambitious strategy for 2040 is implemented (just a hint of sarcasm :wink: :) )

Goodbye Diesel-The UK Government has announced that diesel-only trains will be phased out by 2040.

Will we have Battery Electric Trains to get over the "Overhead Wiring-up" of the entire network, or indeed will some Hydrogen power trains find a niche for themselves in the mix?

And this ladies and gentlemen is a hydrogen powered train the Coradia iLint er...and its French! made by Alstom.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 04 Apr 2018, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think that headline should read: "Government has announced that diesel-only trains will be phased out by 2040 except for those that are not phased out" :wink:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

van ordinaire wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 00:17 Logic dictates that all that must be true BUT people do get killed by overhead lines, although you would think that's actually quite difficut, even though you only need to get too close BUT - never understimate stupidity! Curiously, news stories of people killed by overhead lines seem to be more common than those who suffer the same fate from a 3rd rail.
I have no idea of relative numbers (although I have read particular investigations of each type of case) and yes of course people do get killed by overhead lines (domestic power as well as railway ole) but the fact that happens is more newsworthy, because it's so much more difficult to make happen. Plus when it does, it will trip out a larger section (as I said earlier, distribution sections are longer) hence more widespread disruption.
By an amazing coincidence there was a snippet in this morning's paper about an unsuccessful attempt, under the Freedom Of Information Act, to obtain info. on diesel locomotive emissions. Despite the fact there is no data to disclose it is still maintained that the problem in London is mainly attributable to motor vehicles, particularly diesels - sorry, where's the evidence?

There is research conducted into health impact of diesels fumes in stations, conducted by railway safety and research bodies and guidance from same and the regulator.
However as to the evidence of pollution caused by diesel trains versus motor vehicles.... It's a very, very simple case of volume...
How many diesel trains do you think there are per square mile particularly in a built up centre (which is the only place it really matters) versus how many motor vehicles?
The government has made assessments of proportion of pollution caused by all human activity, so within that, has considered that caused by diesel rail vehicles.
--
Iain

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

According to the BBC News the sales of diesel cars are down nearly 40% since last year. Mind you, car sales are down overall.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Apparently the number of electric vehicles registered in Germany has been static since the '70's (having steadilly fallen over the previous 50 years!)
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

myglaren wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 06:51

To introduce overhead electrics in a country where riding on the roof is normal, is not so much negligent as criminal.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado