what body parts are interchangeable between GS & GSA?

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

what body parts are interchangeable between GS & GSA?

Post by sonoramicommando »

Well, I have been wondering about this but now I need a replacement windscreen as mine has a 4 inch crack which is growing everyday. The German parts website has a couple of different ones, 5mm & 7mm and apparently laminated and non-laminated (toughened, I guess - I don't fancy driving behind one of these). Obviously I won't know which one I have until I have mine out (on the second thought, I'll have to check out the parts catalogue first).
Also, I'm curious to know if bumpers are straight swap - or some other bits and bobs are also need to be swapped.
I presume complete doors are interchangeable but not the door handles (GSA plastic ones aren't very ergonomic, I reckon)
What else - sunroof? bonnet? front guards?
Cheers
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: what body parts are interchangeable between GS & GSA?

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'm pretty sure the bumpers are directly interchangeable. A friend has a yellow GSA estate which he has put GS chrome bumpers on. The GS estate body is near enough exactly the same as the GSA. It was only the change from saloon to hatch where there was a major change.
If yours is a Pallas, do you have a green or brown tinted windscreen?
I'm pretty sure all GSAs have laminated windscreens, GSs I'm not so sure about.
Bonnet is the same, not sure about doors but I want to say they are all interchangable.
Sunroof I'm not sure about.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Older GS's had heat treated windscreens, GSA's had laminated windscreens like modern cars. Not sure when it changed over.

If I remember right a heat treated glass window will show "coloured bands" when at looked through polarised sunglasses, whereas a laminated windscreen will not. Might be a way to tell what your car has now ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
sonoramicommando

red_dwarfers wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:39 I'm pretty sure the bumpers are directly interchangeable. A friend has a yellow GSA estate which he has put GS chrome bumpers on. The GS estate body is near enough exactly the same as the GSA. It was only the change from saloon to hatch where there was a major change.
I'm guessing the GS lower valance panels should be swapped over as well as the bumpers?
red_dwarfers wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:39 If yours is a Pallas, do you have a green or brown tinted windscreen?
I'm pretty sure all GSAs have laminated windscreens, GSs I'm not so sure about.
If it is tinted at all, it must be pretty light, as I can't tell. Apparently some GS/GSAs came with toughened glass.
Mandrake wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 20:06 Older GS's had heat treated windscreens, GSA's had laminated windscreens like modern cars. Not sure when it changed over.

If I remember right a heat treated glass window will show "coloured bands" when at looked through polarised sunglasses, whereas a laminated windscreen will not. Might be a way to tell what your car has now ?

I talked to another windscreen replacement outfit and they said there are two different types - '79 onwards had 7mm thick glass vs pre-'79 6mm. Obviously these being new aftermarket glasses, they are all laminated. (This is different from the German online parts store)

Looked for the glasses in the parts catalogue but windscreen is not listed...
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I asked antcit (he's on the forum but doesn't visit often). He is much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to Gs. He reckons the windscreens changed to laminated sometime between '76-'78. The windscreen rubber also changed from the old style one where you had an insert that needed to be pulled out before removing/fitting it to the newer flexible type which didn't have an insert.

On the lower valance I guess that would need to be swapped actually. I've had a look on the Chevronics website and they list a different part for GS/GSA.
http://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/und ... gsa-front/
http://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/undertray-gs-front/
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
sonoramicommando

red_dwarfers wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 23:52...On the lower valance I guess that would need to be swapped actually. I've had a look on the Chevronics website and they list a different part for GS/GSA.
http://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/und ... gsa-front/
http://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/undertray-gs-front/

Thanks for the links.
Looks like they look the same except for the bumper attachment points.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)