Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by myglaren »

As kids we used to stand on the bridges over railway lines as the trains approached and were enveloped in clouds of smoke and steam.

Wouldn't be the same with diesel clag.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

myglaren wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:58 As kids we used to stand on the bridges over railway lines as the trains approached and were enveloped in clouds of smoke and steam.

Wouldn't be the same with diesel clag.

It was revolting. So glad I don't catch a train anymore. (And only thanks to the 3p/mile of my Ion is it cheaper to drive the full journey than catch the train!)

It wasn't just the smell, it was the noise and vibration if you were unlucky enough to be seated on one of the generator cars...I used in ear earphones not just to listen to something - it was just as much to block out the noise so I put them in even if I wasn't listening to anything!

Compare that to a modern electric only train and the passenger experience is completely different. Relatively quiet and smooth and free from vibration. So it's not just about the stinky fumes.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:49 The sooner Diesel trains are gone the better as far as I'm concerned!

Sorry Simon but for once I'm going to partially disagree...

And, as said earlier, have the roads clogged even more with a massive increase in lorries and buses? No, never... That would be a terribly retrograde step but there is a solution...

Inevitably any increase in traffic on the roads not only ups pollution but compromises safety for all road users... That's bad however you look at it.

It was short-sighted and blinkered thinking like that in the 60s that wrecked our once excellent railway network and did for the roads...

Not that in any way am I accusing you of such thinking as I can see where you're coming from ;)

There should be a policy to actively reduce all road traffic.

We need more railways now, not less... And many, many more thousands of route miles of electrification...

More is needed as our current network is at capacity and cannot accommodate any more traffic thanks again to the Beeching Axe, years of criminal under-investment and a misguided love of road transport.

Electrification, provided the power is generated responsibly, is the way to go to phase out diesels.

The 'Beeching Axe' was a terrible error of judgement...
Gibbo2286 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:34 I have just had a little chuckle, thinking of a Hermes locomotive outside my door delivering my small parcel fro easydiagnostics. :)
But, as you know Gibbo, back in the days before Beeching wielded his axe that very same parcel may well have travelled all the way by rail to your local station from where you'd have collected it ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If Mr Corbyn has his way and renationalises the railways I think that in just a few years we can look forward to a Mr Beeching mark two.

He will of course sort out the traffic pollution as private cars will only be allowed for party members. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Getting rid of diesel locos is a great idea......... right up until the point you have to pay for the electrification of the whole network so they can run electric locos seemlessly everywhere.
Morals are great - if you can afford them :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 12:59 If Mr Corbyn has his way and renationalises the railways I think that in just a few years we can look forward to a Mr Beeching mark two.

He will of course sort out the traffic pollution as private cars will only be allowed for party members. :-D

:roll: Many a true word spoken in jest :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 13:13 Getting rid of diesel locos is a great idea......... right up until the point you have to pay for the electrification of the whole network so they can run electric locos seemlessly everywhere.

Binning the totally pointless HS2 would free up a very considerable amount to address this issue...

HS2 is a white elephant and no more than a (very costly) government vanity project... The huge amount to be spent could be much more effectively used elsewhere on on the UK railway system...

Re-opening the old Great Central as an electric railway and several other closed railways would be a good start...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

bobins wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 13:13 Getting rid of diesel locos is a great idea......... right up until the point you have to pay for the electrification of the whole network so they can run electric locos seemlessly everywhere.

True enough in terms of party politics but as a long term strategy it would be cost effective.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 13:40

True enough in terms of party politics but as a long term strategy it would be cost effective.

Agreed...

Trouble is, party politics and long term strategies don't generally co-exist...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mutually exclusive Jim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 13:42 Mutually exclusive Jim.

Yes, quite :(
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The problem with reopening many of the Beeching closures is the fact that the land they ran over has largely been built on, I know of a number of sites that have old stations but huge gaps in the available space the tracks would need to run between them.

I suppose they could compulsorily purchase all the lost land, demolish the modern estates and start fresh. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Fair enough I suppose. That train in the video did give the platform a smoking out :?

I'm luckily to live in a town with its own heritage railway, so I've been brought up with the sight, sound and smells of a steam railway which I really enjoy.

Diesels for me make the most sense. Electrification is a red herring, huge cost required for building and maintainance, lower reliability than diesels and the fact that electrified lines look so ugly is the final nail in the coffin (for me).

This country obviously doesn't have the cash for a fully electrified railway so they should develop a new series of fast diesels (with DPF's) and have done with it.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

It's a pity the third rail system we've got down this neck of the woods can't be used across the country as there's absolutely zero overhead catenary associated with it and it can't, realistically, be stolen. The main - and somewhat difficult to overcome - drawback is people will insist on getting electrocuted on them :(
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I've never understood why we had diesels at all - & didn't go straight to electrification.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o