Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:20
Mandrake wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:02 Umm, were cows not happily belching methane before humans even started herding them ?

I think, back in those days Simon, cow numbers were a very, very tiny fraction of what they are today and therefore their emissions were not an issue...

Cows and the like are a very inefficient ways of producing food for humans.. If the land they graze was used to grow plant-based food instead it would be much, much more efficient...

A good start to reducing bovine methane emissions would be to cut meat production and encourage people to eat far more plant-derived food...

It is not necessary to eat meat every day or even every week - as us who are largely vegetarians can attest :)

After all, it used to be a luxury and reserved for special occasions only...

This film underlines that Jim, in particular from the 29 minute mark but the whole film is linked to the same theme, not just meat but agriculture and fishing plus all the things that affect this and are affected by it.

It is distributed under the creative commons licence and free for anyone to watch.
It is so good that I bought the DVD to see it on a big screen in decent quality.
It does come over as being a bit preachy but the subject is a serious and engaging one despite this.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:39 Keep your hands off my steak Jim, I don't really fancy pretend meat made in a plastics factory. :-D

Don't worry Gibbo, no way... Even I enjoy a bit of beef very occasionally and I'm pretty much a full-time veggie! And anyway, I believe in free choice in everything. A dictator I am not!

We, as humans, MUST eat some animal-based food to ensure a healthy balanced intake of nutrients but we don't need much... Eggs, of which I eat loads, give us almost all of what we need and top it off with a little bit of cheese every now and again and all is good :)

And us true veggies don't look for meat substitutes ;) For me at least, it's the real thing or nothing! No funny sausages or bacon for me :lol:

And cows will never be extinct or even endangered... The biggest vegetarian community in the world in India hold them sacred - that alone will ensure they survive in good numbers :)

Simon, most interesting on the "Impossible Burger"... It will satisfy many people but it's not for me for reasons already stated :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 11:17

Steve, I'm going to watch it as soon as I have some quality time to devote to it. Thanks for posting it :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It's a brilliant film, so much I used to regularly broadcast it freely to the internet back in 2012.
If you only enjoy the videography alone, it's worth it!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

So whats happening at BMW

Well on the plus side they have announced their aim to have a range of 12 Battery Electric Vehicles in their showrooms by 2025.
Speaking at BMW’s annual financial results conference, the German brand’s CEO Harald Kruger said: “With the fifth generation of eDrive, our vehicles will be able to drive 550 to 700 kilometres (340-435 miles) on electric power, depending on the model. We will achieve this in the BMW i4.”
On the minus side

German prosecutors have raided the headquarters of BMW as part of an investigation into the suspected use of emissions cheating software.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The BBC has a short piece on the VW car 'graveyards' in the US that store around 350 000 cars they've had to buy back.. The video shows just one of their 37 sites :shock:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Mandrake wrote: 06 Feb 2017, 17:03 As someone who gets a train into Glasgow Central station every day, I'm amazed at the amount of pollution that the Diesel-Electric trains are still allowed to belch out! [-X It really is horrible. Fortunately the line I am on was electrified about a year ago.

Are there no Euro regulations for smoke from Diesel busses and locomotives like there are for cars ??! :roll:

Yes, emissions regulations apply in the same way (new build, not backward applicable) and IIRC, use the same 'Euro' class for emissions, albeit the implementation timescales have differed.
Different timescales is for a number of good reasons, e.g. design timescales for rail vehicles are much longer, they have to comply with a whole host of extra safety regulations and getting products and design changes through those as well isn't an overnight activity, the volumes are significantly lower so the supply chain is not going to be as responsive and things tend to be made in batches and stockpiled for future use rather than being able to switch/change as needed etc.
Rail vehicles and the components in them have a much, much harder life than automotive and therefore they need to have a longer life-cycle and different design.
Automotive engines have been tried in rail vehicles in the past, with appalling results.
e.g. a diesel railcar might typically cover 80-100,000 miles a year and have a 35 year life (loco's can be far higher on both counts). The engine duty cycle is generally idle for a reasonable period of time, then straight to flat out load for long periods of time, not held at part throttle for the majority of its operation. Space to mount equipment is at a premium and cooling isn't necessarily efficient (you can't front mount a radiator, for a start!) and access to maintain and service isn't easy either. This drives the need for a different product.
Typical overhaul cycles for a railcar engine might be 250,000 miles for a top end overhaul, 500,000 miles for full overhaul - so you can see that over the life of a rail vehicle, the engine will actually be used 7 times over (which in itself is far more efficient/environmentally friendly than an automotive application) and in fact, the engine will probably be used even longer than that, as a common engine gets shared round the whole national pool (that's how it worked in BR days, less so these days tending only to be shared across the same leasing company at best).
Particularly with locomotives, the 'bespoke' nature of the engines and the sheer value of them, can drive faults that would write an engine off in automotive world to still be repaired (massive gaping holes in the side of blocks where they've put a leg out of bed etc.). I expect in that particular regard, it's similar to other industries such as shipping (although that has nothing like the same level of safety regulation that causes extra constraints I mentioned earlier).

FWIW, the newest diesel trains being procured for Greater Anglia are (IIRC) Euro IIIb compliant, which means they have all sorts of gubbins you'd find on more modern road vehicles, including using AdBlue...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

bobins wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:28 The BBC has a short piece on the VW car 'graveyards' in the US that store around 350 000 cars they've had to buy back.. The video shows just one of their 37 sites :shock:

Yeah and what's due to happen to them? All they need to do is modify the software and they'd be emissions compliant - far more environmentally friendly option than scrapping them and building a new car?!
--
Iain

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think they'll quietly find their way back onto the market in States that are less fussy about the environment than CA or exported out to the Mddle/Far East.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

wurlycorner wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 12:33Lots about railway diesels...

Iain, as one who is keenly interested in all railway I found that most interesting and enjoyable. Thanks :D
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

There can't be many trains that are E111 compliant - so why are they allowed in LEZ's or, at least, without penalty? I mean those responsible for these Zones & their policing - sorry, management - aren't interested in reasonableness or fairness (or, it seems logic or even reality).
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

van ordinaire wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 00:09 There can't be many trains that are E111 compliant - so why are they allowed in LEZ's or, at least, without penalty? I mean those responsible for these Zones & their policing - sorry, management - aren't interested in reasonableness or fairness (or, it seems logic or even reality).

Yes I don't believe there there are any that are Euro IIIb compliant yet (but the vast majority of loco's are IIIa compliant).
But even so, as for fairness or logic, that's very simple... Fine, ban the trains.
Then count up how many extra cars/vans/lorries have to come in instead of just one train, which, even though they may be compliant with more modern emissions standards, will actually pollute more (not to mention add massively to the congestion).
Just sticking with freight, as an example a typical diesel loco can haul up to 1800 tons, using 1x 132Litre engine.
Typical 44 ton HGV might have a 13 Litre engine. Scale that up to equivalent haulage and you would have 40x 13 Litre engines (520Litres combined).
Now that's not in the least bit scientific :lol: (and I'm not an expert in those engines at all so may well have got some numbers wrong) and doesn't equate directly to emissions etc but it's a pretty good simple exercise to show how much more efficient rail is at moving big loads.
And then just picture those extra 40 lorries on the streets...
--
Iain

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I have just had a little chuckle, thinking of a Hermes locomotive outside my door delivering my small parcel fro easydiagnostics. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Personally, I like seeing black exhaust from a Diesel engine, especially when they are being thrashed.... very immature I know, but growing up around farm machinery where the engines are lucky to have silencers let alone any form of emissions control probably has something to do with it :rofl2:

Obviously, the chemist in me knows that the exhaust contains plenty of nasty chemicals that should best be avoided. That’s why I support DPF's on cars as pedestrians are usually present at the same level as the exhaust fumes, but I don't see the point on trains or especially on tractors!

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

EDC5 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:39 That’s why I support DPF's on cars as pedestrians are usually present at the same level as the exhaust fumes, but I don't see the point on trains or especially on tractors!

Kind of an ironic statement given the thumbnail of your video showing a cloud of diesel fumes hovering around the platform where people will be standing ? :lol:

As someone who caught a Diesel powered train into Glasgow Central for a couple of years - which has a canopy over the end of lines where all the trains terminate, I can assure you that people are in fact "at the same level as the exhaust fumes", and I can still smell the fumes now a couple of years later! :twisted:

Waiting at the platform for a train while trains on adjacent lines leave the platform belching clouds of stinky diesel fumes was horrid. :roll:

The sooner Diesel trains are gone the better as far as I'm concerned!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive