Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by Timmo »

There was a Big Tesla on the m25 this morning,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Heading from Southampton to Camberley I called into the Fleet services. There I saw a Nikola of Telsas (they were having a get together, and were recharging their batteries). 18 Model S and 5 Model X!
Attachments
Own Work.
Own Work.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Mar 2018, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Amazing the amount of money they represent when you think of it :wink:
We pay an extraordinary price to move around - well some of us LOL
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

harryp wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 16:25 Amazing the amount of money they represent when you think of it :wink:

Yes, it really is... Not far short of a million I'd guess...

I think much the same when I go on a big bike sportive ride... I reckon there's several million pounds-worth of bikes at such a meeting...

And then add up the value of all the kit and it is quite eye-watering...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Took my dear mum to the local hospital earlier this week (was heaving busy!) and parked near a pair of charging points (with four bays) so thought I'd wander over and have a looksee - nothing! Not one single EV was using them.
I'm guessing they're maybe "expensive" to other charging stations but it does grate to see the unused spaces while ICE cars were driving round and round in circles looking for a parking spot.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 16:49 I'm guessing they're maybe "expensive" to other charging stations but it does grate to see the unused spaces while ICE cars were driving round and round in circles looking for a parking spot.

Maybe there's a new business opportunity here... Deck your car out with fake Tesla badges and fit a dummy charging socket...

Et Viola! Now you can park in a vacant EV bay and get away with it...

"Yes, officer, It's the new Tesla C5. Have you not heard of it? Gosh, you're so out of touch!"
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

What do you think they talk about when they all get together? Guessing range per charge as apposed to mpg!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

MikeT wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 16:49 Took my dear mum to the local hospital earlier this week (was heaving busy!) and parked near a pair of charging points (with four bays) so thought I'd wander over and have a looksee - nothing! Not one single EV was using them.
I'm guessing they're maybe "expensive" to other charging stations but it does grate to see the unused spaces while ICE cars were driving round and round in circles looking for a parking spot.

Remember that an EV charging space is for charging, not for parking. The parking is secondary because charging takes a significant amount of time such that the car may need to be left unattended. (Thus is "parked")

If you were looking for a place to park would you go and park beside a petrol pump then leave to do half an hours shopping because the space was free and there were no other nearby handy park ? That's the equivalent.

That space that you're annoyed is empty is somebody's "petrol pump", and they could be on their way to use it from miles away just as you were looking at the empty space. (The in use status of most charging points can be checked remotely with a smartphone app to see if someone is already using it) And without being able to access it they may be unable to get where they're going and be stranded.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 18:37 What do you think they talk about when they all get together? Guessing range per charge as apposed to mpg!

They'll be plotting the revolution to overthrow the world...
Jim

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Mandrake wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:07
MikeT wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 16:49 Took my dear mum to the local hospital earlier this week (was heaving busy!) and parked near a pair of charging points (with four bays) so thought I'd wander over and have a looksee - nothing! Not one single EV was using them.

Remember that an EV charging space is for charging, not for parking. The parking is secondary because charging takes a significant amount of time such that the car may need to be left unattended. (Thus is "parked")
AFAIK, they were planned and built as parking spaces originally.... but point taken.
Mandrake wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:07 If you were looking for a place to park would you go and park beside a petrol pump then leave to do half an hours shopping because the space was free and there were no other nearby handy park ? That's the equivalent.
I witness similar quite often and it also grates. People recharge their tanks then feel entitled to leave their car occupying the pump while they "tour" the shop, get a coffee and confectionary, visit the toilet etc... ok, maybe not half an hour but it sure feels longer as you watch others queuing behind are coming and going while the numpty in front still hasn't emerged.
Mandrake wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:07 That space that you're annoyed is empty is somebody's "petrol pump", and they could be on their way to use it from miles away just as you were looking at the empty space. (The in use status of most charging points can be checked remotely with a smartphone app to see if someone is already using it) And without being able to access it they may be unable to get where they're going and be stranded.
See above. They build refuelling forecourts on proprietary land, not by commandeering other land to deny it's original use.
There are other relative factors to my argument but I won't go into them here. Suffice to say, I don't think depriving one motorist for the sake of another will solve anything and, as witnessed, expecially if it creates other knock-on unintended problems and/or exacerbate existing local traffic issues.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So we’ve now had the first person killed by an Uber driverless car in America! They’ve now pulled the plug at present on further testing.

A woman was crossing the road and it hit her. I think they should dump the idea. We just don’t have the tech to do it evidently.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 22:53 I think they should dump the idea. We just don’t have the tech to do it evidently.

Agreed, it's what I've been saying all along... It should never have seen the light of day...

I hope now it's shelved for good and will never be seen again.
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

We don't know all the facts of the situation yet. We do know that there was a "backup" driver behind the wheel of the uber who also failed to act to prevent the accident, which suggesting that the accident could have been unavoidable, such as a pedestrian (she was apparently walking her bike across the road) stepping out from between parked vans at the last second - something that a human driver would also struggle to avoid if the pedestrian was not seen until they were actually on the road.

Lets wait and see what the accident investigation finds. Temporarily suspending their self driving testing until the accident investigation is over seems prudent behaviour to me.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nothing will alter my view that driverless cars (indeed any vehicle) is a bad idea...

You'll never get me in one, ever. End of...
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I agree, tech may be more clever and smart in some respects, but it will never be able to have ‘intuition’ or be able to perceive or anticipate some situations like a human being can. They cannot ever have the awareness of a sentient being.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc