Who's Responsible?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Daz3nt
My Cars: Xsara Picasso (05)
C1 (11)

Who's Responsible?

Post by Daz3nt »

I took my car into a garage for a new clutch which I supplied, it was an luk clutch kit costing £106 (so not the cheapest) I drove my car there it was driving fine just a little squeak from the thrust bearing. Since the mechanic has changed it there are loads of different errors which I'm trying to sort in another post and it does not start because of an immobiliser fault.

My question is should the garage be liable for the repair bill for this or am I? they have not tried to help at all, the owner just says "It's one of them things" so it's down to me to repair it. I plan on giving the garage all of the receipts I get for doing this, Am I wrong in doing this or should they pay for it or at least some of it?

The garage originally quoted me £160 for fitting the clutch since I was supplying the parts, I've yet to give him any money for the job since it don't start anymore and it's still in the garage.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Who's Responsible?

Post by Stickyfinger »

To be honest, it needs to have a session on a Lexia to determine the nature of the problem faults before you could say either way.
A "general" code reader will probably not be able to give the correct diagnosis.

What car, engine, model ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Daz3nt wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 19:31 I took my car into a garage for a new clutch which I supplied, it was an luk clutch kit costing £106 (so not the cheapest) I drove my car there it was driving fine just a little squeak from the thrust bearing. Since the mechanic has changed it there are loads of different errors which I'm trying to sort in another post and it does not start because of an immobiliser fault.

My question is should the garage be liable for the repair bill for this or am I? they have not tried to help at all, the owner just says "It's one of them things" so it's down to me to repair it. I plan on giving the garage all of the receipts I get for doing this, Am I wrong in doing this or should they pay for it or at least some of it?

The garage originally quoted me £160 for fitting the clutch since I was supplying the parts, I've yet to give him any money for the job since it don't start anymore and it's still in the garage.

If he's done the work he quoted for you must pay him, the fact that there are other troubles may be entirely coincidental, unfortunately that's often what happens when you disturb stuff in the process of making a repair and unless you can prove that he was negligent or not doing the work to an acceptable standard I guess you're stuck with it.

Ps: We don't know what vehicle you have but if it's one that has a crank speed sensor near the flywheel that's one place that needs to be looked at, they often get knocked when the gearbox is removed/refitted.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's a Xsara Picasso: https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=59745

Either the BSI has lost its mind, which may or may not be the garage's fault, but difficult to prove either way; or they didn't disconnect the battery and shorted out the ECU - which is def their fault!
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm sure others mean well but I'd warn against seeking legal advice from the public and advise you contact a professional body like trading standards or whoever has such authority and expertise.
The problem being, you may have already burnt your bridges by words spoken or actions taken since the problem arose. They can advise you on the steps you should take to ensure your rights (if any) are upheld.