My Naughty Toyota Prius.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

My Naughty Toyota Prius.

Post by demag »

Although obviously not French the Prius shares something in bucket loads with Citroen; innovation. It is quite simply amazing and over time I'll put some details into this thread so you can see what it's like. :)
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: My Naughty Toyota Prius.

Post by Paul-R »

Maybe, but it can't overcome its ugly slab sided styling.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Paul-R wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 10:42 Maybe, but it can't overcome its ugly slab sided styling.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am sure it's Mum loves it :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

It has an extremely low drag coefficient a la Citroen. :rofl2:
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Prius and Drag you say ? oh, .................drag coefficient
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... rmat=1000w
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

So today I filled the tank for the second time as when I picked it up from the dealer the reserve light was flashing! It took 8.768 gallons and I did 452 miles which by my schoolboy maths is 51.55mpg as near as damn it, that sort of mileage is getting into diesel territory. The wife's mom has been very poorly recently so a lot of those miles were 2 mile trips to the hospital and back again which makes those figures even more impressive. Before the heavy snow I was averaging over 58mpg but was also doing some slightly longer trips which helped. Acceleration is fairly anaemic but if you try it will actually lift its skirts and go, quoted time to 60mph is around 11 seconds but to be honest you don't buy one of these to hoon around in.

The interior is not bad apart from those brushed velour type seats. There's nothing wrong physically with them as they are very comfortable and the driving position is very good, it is just the fabric I'm not too keen on. There's lots of cubby holes front and rear and a double decker glove compartment which is fairly large. However there isn't any underseat storage and I think they missed a trick there but the rest of the storage more than makes up for that. The lcd dash is very good with loads of info but I do not like the Multi Function Display in the middle of the dash. It is touchscreen and personally I think they are dangerous requiring you to take your eyes off the road to set the heating, aircon, radio etc. I think they should be banned from cars and think it is the equivalent of texting while on the move. My daughter had a Peugeot, possibly a 308 which had the same thing and she didn't like that one either. The room in the back is tardis like and not far off that of the C5, it's very easy to sit back stretch out and relax. The boot although not fantastically large will easily take the shopping and under the false floor is a large storage box which can be lifted out to reveal the spare wheel.

The suspension is a strange thing, it's firm but definitely not bone jarringly so and the ride is remarkably comfortable, much more so than my son's Insignia which will loosen your teeth going over a matchstick. There are NO rattles or squeaks at all, nothing, zilch. [-X In fact on the move it is eerily quiet especially if running on battery. There's only really slight tyre noise around town and some wind noise as the speed picks up to approx 50mph. It's virtually impossible to know if it's on battery or petrol apart from checking the display although on long inclines it will always resort to petrol. Conversly on long declines it will always run on battery which does wonders for the mpg. :-D

The brakes are incredibly powerful as once or twice I've had to take avoiding action because the local loons think all speed limits are double what they say. I did find one thing slightly disconcerting though when I read the handbook, when you press the brake pedal it sends a signal to the computer to apply the brakes...... Whaaat? :? I hope it's not running bloody Windows! :rofl2: Get this, it's not unknown for the original brake pads to last 200,000 miles.
Joy of joys the wipers work from a switch and are not automatic, :lol: and neither do they chatter.

More later.

Oyasuminasai.
Dave
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I followed a hybrid the other day and I could tell when it's engine cut in and out. It was at night and freezing cold and could see the exhaust gas starting and stopping. I would say the engine was running about 1/2 the time
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

It runs more in the cold weather Davie and more so after dark because you have lights, heater and maybe wipers on. I've been assured it's fairly easy to get up towards 70mpg in the summer.
Dave
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

A quick update. I waited 6 weeks for a V5C so sent the new owner green slip as advised by DVLA. I received a new V5C on Thursday, and another one today! Bloody idiots. The one I received today shows two previous owners, the second one being me.🤔😠
I get a funny feeling this is not going to be easy to sort out......

As for the car that's running great, averaging 63 to the gallon which climbs quite rapidly in warm weather but drops in cold. I'm getting used to driving it now. The only thing I don't like doing is sitting in traffic with my foot on the brake but that is the recommended method by Toyota. Odd. The handbrake is a foot pedal similar to the Xm but its press to apply press to release and it works quite well. I fitted Osram Nightbreaker bulbs which were a bit of a faff. But I did the two in about an hour.
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have you become a taxi driver now Dave?

I ask as Prius's down this way are taxis and almost without exception!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

There is or was one for sale on Autotrader with 200,000 miles. And lpg conversion.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andy5 wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 09:38 There is or was one for sale on Autotrader with 200,000 miles. And lpg conversion.

LPG makes it a very frugal motor - what a good idea!

200K is impressive. They must last well... I know of a Y-plate one locally - they look very different and based on that early one, the looks have improved dramatically!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

200k, 300k. It seems to be quite normal Jim, that's why the taxi drivers use them. Plus they're doing 50-60-70mpg on petrol and the tax is £10 p.a.
My younger son is now thinking of ditching his Insignia and buying the Lexus hybrid. I think it's the 300 model, very luxurious inside, about the same size as his Insignia but tax, performance and economy about the same as mine but with a 2.5 litre engine. I did have a quick test drive in one a while back. The silence is weird, just a hint of road noise and the same or similar touchscreen with the diagramatic view of the system and what it's doing.
Now I've got the V5C I've logged onto "My Toyota" on the Toyota website which shows full history of all work done from new. Mine had new front discs last year because the brakes aren't used an awful lot. It actually uses dc injection into the traction motor to slow the car down to about 5-7mph before the mechanical brakes operate. So the pads tend to last the life of the car but the discs corrode through lack of use. :shock:
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It all makes sense now Dave. It's a no-brainer to use them as a Taxi...

Shame they're so big else one might suit me rather well...

Never knew that about the brakes...
Jim