Lost fasteners replacements

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Lost fasteners replacements

Post by MikeT »

I know even experienced Citroen main dealer parts agents have trouble so I don't feel such a numpty having difficulty.

It seems, either by car design or the fact I'm just getting older that my habit of dropping and losing fasteners (along with previous careless maintenance losing/breaking them) the need to source replacements is increasing.

I prefer to fit the proper parts where possible, rathen just finding a bodge, but how do I easily and accurately spec the part in the first place - usually required because the main dealer often charges over the top prices and/or packages them in quantities not needed. Additionally, Citroen often use differing fasteners to locate a single item - ie, the engine undertray, wheel arch liners, sound-proofing etc.

I would be grateful if someone could show me how to fully identify, for instance the black screw I lost when I removed the left hand cover over the fluid containers the last time I checked fluid levels. ie, the dimenions and screw thread size. IIRC, it was a a torx fitting, a bit like a self-tapping screw.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Lost fasteners replacements

Post by wurlycorner »

I'm the same - always prefer to use original fasteners rather than bodge it...

You can look up all the fasteners on service.citroen, against your specific vehicle. There's also a separate section in service.citroen, with a catalogue of all the fasteners, which may be of use/interest.

I have tended to buy batches of the fasteners from sellers on eBay - quicker/simpler/cheaper than buying from a PSA dealer these days.
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-GEARB ... 2749.l2649
Is a kit of all the correct fasteners for the undertay on my C5 :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for that tray kit link, Iain. I'll be getting those as it's affordable and has all the correct parts in one!

As I mentioned above, even Citroen's own can't fathom the fasteners catalogue - case in point, I lost one of the three MAF sensor fasteners. The catalogue diagrams showed a completely different (head, length and thread) part for that part number and they came in an expensive bag of four! Maybe the given dimensions were correct but again, without the original to compare, how to know? I walked back and forth several times trying different fasteners from a box of "spares" no doubt left off other customers cars.

The best he could do was give me a screw that fitted the thread, but it now means I again need multiple tools to remove three screws where just one should suffice.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not recently but I used to get lots of fasteners etc. from K-Engineering but there are many other similar outlets.
They may not have exactly what you want but may well be able to offer something similar enough to be suitable.
I generally buy a couple of dozen and replace the originals with them so all are the same.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

myglaren wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 18:16 Not recently but I used to get lots of fasteners etc. from K-Engineering but there are many other similar outlets.
They may not have exactly what you want but may well be able to offer something similar enough to be suitable.
I generally buy a couple of dozen and replace the originals with them so all are the same.

Well, if you can teach me how to compare something I barely had a glimpse at, before disappearing into the inaccessible voids, that'd be cool. :rofl2:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is a bit of a problem Mike.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 18:54 That is a bit of a problem Mike.

It went THATAWAY! :arrow:
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:16 Thanks for that tray kit link, Iain. I'll be getting those as it's affordable and has all the correct parts in one!
After checking the "compatibility list" I note it covers every engine except the 1.6hdi (mine!). How odd.
Thinking of taking a gamble buying them regardless, presuming that's an oversight of the list rather than my engine being the odd one out.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Lost stuff ? , you are just Feeding the Carpet Monster !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

MikeT wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 17:22
MikeT wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:16 Thanks for that tray kit link, Iain. I'll be getting those as it's affordable and has all the correct parts in one!
After checking the "compatibility list" I note it covers every engine except the 1.6hdi (mine!). How odd.
Thinking of taking a gamble buying them regardless, presuming that's an oversight of the list rather than my engine being the odd one out.

I must admit I didn't look at the kit to check whether it was compatible with your car or not, I just posted it as an example, tbh.

As I understand it, the undertray is different on the three variants of c5 (series 1, series 2 and X7) so it wouldn't surprise me if the fixings are different as well.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

wurlycorner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 09:25
MikeT wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 17:22

I must admit I didn't look at the kit to check whether it was compatible with your car or not, I just posted it as an example, tbh.

As I understand it, the undertray is different on the three variants of c5 (series 1, series 2 and X7) so it wouldn't surprise me if the fixings are different as well.
I appreciated the link with no assumptions. When viewing, it "appeared" just the ticket.
The compatibility list could be an oversight, rather than the kit not fitting my car, as the parts seem to fit every other C5 engine size/type so unless the 1.6hdi really is a "special" I suspect they will fit mine and it's worth a gamble buying the kit still, as I know it'll at least contain most the missing parts previous owners/mechanics left off, if not all. :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I can't see any reason why that kit wouldn't be ok for you Mike, it will certainly do both the mk1 and mk2 C5s, I've got a few spares here that I'm keeping for future 'escapes'
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.