Printing without a printer (update SOLVED)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Printing without a printer (update SOLVED)

Post by white exec »

For intermittent use, laser printers (which use toner, not ink) are the way to go - no jets to clog.
B&W are extraordinarily cheap.
Colour more expensive, but infinitely cheaper to run than inkjet, and reliable.

Alternative, for one at home, is to buy a cheap inkjet, which comes complete with inks, and run it until the first sign of trouble or an ink runs out. Once you embark on replacement ink cartridges, the road ahead is trouble, trouble. This even applies to "bulk ink" add-ons. Worse, many ink-jet printers are programmed to grind to a halt, or do repetitative flushing/cleaning, and finally to refuse to clean at all - allegedly for the purposes of avoiding sub-standard prints. B*ll*cks, all of it . . . just built-in obsolescence. Epson and HP have turned out to be experts in this.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Well I did say "In my experience." Mike. :)

As for ink with my new printer I signed up for 'HP instant ink' it costs me £1.99 a month for up to 50 pages, unused pages are carried forward to the next month and if you use more than 50 you can get an extra 15 for £1 or if you need more on a regular basis you can get a different deal.

I think for me that works out ok, less than the price of a single cartridge a year, delivered post free when the printer tells HP that it needs new ink, well before it actually runs out and a freepost recycle bag to send the empties back.

So far it's working fine.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/r
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

white exec wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 12:03 For intermittent use, laser printers (which use toner, not ink) are the way to go - no jets to clog.
B&W are extraordinarily cheap.
Colour more expensive, but infinitely cheaper to run than inkjet, and reliable.

Alternative, for one at home, is to buy a cheap inkjet, which comes complete with inks, and run it until the first sign of trouble or an ink runs out. Once you embark on replacement ink cartridges, the road ahead is trouble, trouble. This even applies to "bulk ink" add-ons. Worse, many ink-jet printers are programmed to grind to a halt, or do repetitative flushing/cleaning, and finally to refuse to clean at all - allegedly for the purposes of avoiding sub-standard prints. B*ll*cks, all of it . . . just built-in obsolescence. Epson and HP have turned out to be experts in this.
My downfall was being put in a bit of a panic situation where I needed a big print run done quickly (as other important matters on my mind relied on it) and I apparently forgot all about the B&W laser being the better option, as I buried myself in researching the latest plethora of so-called "All in One Inkjets" and then finding a local supplier with said choice(s), in stock and at a reasonable price.
Guess what I'll be buying next, when the current inkjet throws up it's next ill-timed "error"? :-D
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 12:32 Well I did say "In my experience." Mike. :)
As it was mine Gibbo.... until this single (hopefully one-off) event. I've been a more-than-happy Ebay buyer for more years than I care to remember. As such, I intend not to fall into the trap of clicking a link that doesn't explain the full terms and conditions of doing so before clicking!
Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 12:32As for ink with my new printer I signed up for 'HP instant ink' it costs me £1.99 a month for up to 50 pages, unused pages are carried forward to the next month and if you use more than 50 you can get an extra 15 for £1 or if you need more on a regular basis you can get a different deal.

I think for me that works out ok, less than the price of a single cartridge a year, delivered post free when the printer tells HP that it needs new ink, well before it actually runs out and a freepost recycle bag to send the empties back.

So far it's working fine.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/r
Yes, I saw these deals and didn't think it would save me anything as I'm such an infrequent printer - much like those monthly mobile plans where I'd be buying 100's minutes I'll never use.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got a pay as you go mobile ...................somewhere Mike :) the problem I have with it is that periodically I get a message from Vodafone saying that if I don't use it within the next 90 days they'll close the account, I think the last time I put a £10 top up on it was over a year ago.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 14:27 I've got a pay as you go mobile ...................somewhere Mike :) the problem I have with it is that periodically I get a message from Vodafone saying that if I don't use it within the next 90 days they'll close the account, I think the last time I put a £10 top up on it was over a year ago.

I recommend giffgaff (02 sub-contract), it's what I use and you can port your number over. They won't close the account for lack of credit and even give you free calls to other GG customers - even up to 90 days after your last credit is used! They don't spam you either. The downside is there's no customer service as such, it's all community based but I've never failed to get the answers I needed when I did consult them.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Best thing I ever did was buy a colour laser printer (Hp)....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Stickyfinger wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:38 Best thing I ever did was buy a colour laser printer (Hp)....

I can imagine. I did actually win a 99p auction for a Networked HP Colour Laser as it was classed as "spares/repair" because it printed with big splats of blue toner everwhere. Initially I thought it needed a new drum but subsequent, cleaning, testing, researching etc left me more doubtful that was the required fix, so just dumped it.
As I say, aside from the fault the prints were fabulous and it was very fast compared to Inkjets. Pity it weighed the same as a small car! - ooh me back!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I got mine in a sale....was totally fed up with ink jets, their costs and blockages.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

The extraordinarily helpful guy in my local cartridge shop has proved he does know about printers & he says inkjet printers don't like not being used & advised printing something every week. I'm trying that regime with my new Canon all singing, all dancing device - but only time will tell.

As for dot-matrix, I can see the logic - but I didn't know you could still get them.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Dot Matrix printers are still available, as people who need to print on triplicate/carbon style paper have to use impact printers.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I avoid such issues with eBay by never buying anything from anyone on eBay!

My usual port of call for parts is GSF with one of their 55% off weekends. They've not failed me yet. Even found an ancient alternator for the DRK (Renault 4) at the grand sum of £36.. before the 56% off code! Had to go to Heathrow on Tues to collect it mind you..
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

My admission that I didn't know you could still get dot matrix printers was in response to learning - here - that you could. Obviously, I've been looking in the wrong places - cartridge shops?

I was very chary about ebay but, generally, I must've been lucky because, apart from a mistake from not reading the ad closely enough, the time something's gone wrong was when an item didn't arrive - or so the owner of the motel to which it was to be delivered said!

GSF when it was a handful of little shops was wonderful, now they're on my "rather scrap the car than do business with them" list. Probably the least customer friendly website in the world - after the Indian visa application one, now GWR have finally sorted theirs out!

The new Canon so very nearly got thrown accross the room (if the patio door'd been open, it'd be out on the lawn!) & is now (almost) in its box waiting to go back to the shop to be disposed of responsibly.

Started looking for a dot matrix replacement - but they're far too expensive: cheapest I could find (not charmingly described as "vintage" or "retro") was £150, after seeing several for £250 - even on eBay most are in the £350 - 600 bracket!

If only I could have my mother's old (but little used) Epson Stylus repaired . . .
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o