Printing without a printer (update SOLVED)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Printing without a printer (update SOLVED)

Post by MikeT »

Got myself in a bit of an ebay pickle

Short story: I need to print an ebay returns label from a laptop with no printer access. Is there any way to print to file (I'm sure there is), transport it via USB or SD and then successfully print from that file off another system? It's this latter part I'm most unsure about.

Long Story: In my mind, I entered a contract to buy the item (mintex pads) and have it sent within 24hours. This is my main point of contention.
The "item" arrived today but was a bloody NSP-branded Water Pump!
Trying to contact the seller for a satisfactory resolution and ensure they meet their obligation asap: I was presented only with a multiple choice of which the "closest" choice was "Item not as described".
Following that option gave me a statement saying something like, sorry, we will refund you. Just "request" a return. No other details.
Nothing about how that refund and return will be acted out so I felt I had no choice but to agree to request the refund (presumably) by clicking the link.

Next thing I know, I've got a link to print a label (with no details) and given a deadline to package and post the item then wait for up to n-weeks for a refund - nothing about getting the bloody part I contracted to and paid for!!! No message at all from the seller... but Ebay did inform me the seller accepted my return request.

Called Ebay but for each objection I raised, I just got a script monkey simply repeating how the returns process works. I get so wound up by this and trying to be heard I hung up.
Am currently awaiting another callback from ebay to explain how much I charge for going out to purchase packaging, packaging the item, printing the label and couriering the package to a post office, if that's how they want to play it. But first, I'll try and get them to recount my steps so they can see how I was mislead by their limited choice options.
Last edited by MikeT on 07 Mar 2018, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Printing without a printer

Post by Zelandeth »

Depending which browser you're using, you may be able to print directly to a PDF from there. Just a simple matter to then copy that to another computer.

Sadly I've not been using Windows now for so long I've no idea what the inbuilt options are.

If it does just open the label to be printed as a web page, other option might be to just do an old-fashioned screen print.

Depending on the deadline involved, I'd be quite happy to print it off for you and send you the label via special-delivery if next day (well, would be day after tomorrow by this point) would be quick enough.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Sweet! You've solved that one for me Zel, thanks :)

I've never returned an item through ebay before and didn't think to try and print the label without a printer first (too wound up still).
Now I have, I found it opens a PDF which i've now downloaded and can transfer to a printer-linked machine.

Still waiting for ebay to call me back and see if they'll support me in my original purchase contract.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Only a couple of weeks ago I had an Ebay problem, the seller advertised a washing machine pump as 'Genuine Indesit' then sent a Chinese copy, I tried to get a returns note and was told "All our items are genuine and I have the receipts to prove it."
I went to Indesit's pump maker web page and asked, they said "Not ours, a Chinese copy."

Went to the Ebay resolution centre with the details and they immediately found in my favour and issued a returns label, prepaid and for tracked delivery, put the pump back in its original packing and handed it in at the post office, all done.

Payment arrived back in my Paypal account a couple of days after the post office tracking confirmed delivery.

I didn't have the printer problem though and my post office is less than three minutes walk away.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Zel has it covered but local libraries can usually manage this, or a print shop if one is conveniently located.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Surprise surprise, Ebay haven't honoured the 2nd callback I requested and the link to ask for another is now not being offered to me, instead I get a standard "Returns" procedure explanation with the question "Was this helpful" and two buttons Yes and No, of which clicking no responds with "Thanks for your feedback". Touche, Ebay!

I've also sent a plea to the seller to understand I don't want a refund I just want my pads.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

If you hit Print on a PC not connected to a printer, you usually get a dialogue box which includes the option Save as PDF, or Print to File. The latter usually saves the file (in your chosen folder) as a PDF.

For utility work, monochrome (b&w) laser printers can be had new from £50, some even less. Perfect for very occasional use, and dirt-cheap to run.
Chris
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

white exec wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 19:38 If you hit Print on a PC not connected to a printer, you usually get a dialogue box which includes the option Save as PDF, or Print to File. The latter usually saves the file (in your chosen folder) as a PDF.

You could email the pdf to yourself, then log in to webmail somewhere else like the public library
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CUTE Pdf....print to pdf file, save on SD card/USB, print in shop/Library

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Used it for years.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
MikeT

Re: Printing without a printer (update SOLVED)

Post by MikeT »

The Long Story also has a happy ending, I'm pleased to report.

I got a response from the seller who informed me they have a local branch near me so following a couple of phone calls, off I went and am now back home with pads I'd originally ordered.

And yes, they are also genuine Mintex :D
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Result. Sorted. Brilliant. But what a chore!
Chris
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Still trying to decide which is the more difficult: trying to make any sense of the optionsn for printing (God knows it can be difficult enough when you do have a printer) or resolving any issue involving e-bay &/or couriers.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

van ordinaire wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 21:59 Still trying to decide which is the more difficult: trying to make any sense of the optionsn for printing (God knows it can be difficult enough when you do have a printer) or resolving any issue involving e-bay &/or couriers.

Resolving issues with Ebay I've found is usually a doddle if you're a buyer, not so if you're a seller, they always find in favour of the buyer in my experience.

Printers are cheap enough to buy now ( £27 my old neighbour paid for her new HP one) and you can print to them by wifi from pretty well any computer or Android phone or tablet
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Stickyfinger wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 20:10 CUTE Pdf....print to pdf file, save on SD card/USB, print in shop/Library

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Used it for years.

Or just use Google Chrome - built in print to PDF feature in the print dialogue.

Works very well too as it can even handle SVG - in fact I use Google Chrome's print to PDF function to convert SVG (scalable vector graphics) files used in Sedre wiring diagrams to PDF format - it's the only program I've found that does a good job of it, as it keeps them as vector diagrams where you can infinitely zoom in!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 09:46
Resolving issues with Ebay I've found is usually a doddle if you're a buyer, not so if you're a seller, they always find in favour of the buyer in my experience.

Printers are cheap enough to buy now ( £27 my old neighbour paid for her new HP one) and you can print to them by wifi from pretty well any computer or Android phone or tablet
Until this single event, I would have total agreement with you on Ebay supporting the buyer, but they didn't. Instead of supporting my contract to have said item delivered within 24hours, they insisted I was in a new "Returns" contract and was expected to send back the misdelivered item, postage paid, otherwise at my expense (packaging and fuel) and time - contrary to distance-selling regulations. (ie, it is the responsibility of the seller to retrieve the item at their expense).
I may take some responsibility of allowing this muddle to occur because when I clicked the link "Item not described" I was given limited multiple choice options of which I chose to "Request Return" which gave no detail other than "Sorry, we will refund you". Only after I'd clicked said link did it reveal the actual obligations of clicking it (print label, package item and post it back within a deadline) and there was no option to cancel it, hence the Ebay support being a total script-monkey and not actually listening to my objections. I DIDN'T WANT A REFUND. :lol:

As for cheap printers, again I would totally agree with you except you're not taking into account the facts that ink is more expensive per drop than Dom Perignon Champagne and the printers are designed to guzzle said ink (like Oliver Reed guzzles the shampoo) every time you turn it on or start a new print cycle after a long rest or need to "clean" the print heads as it's also designed to clog under infrequent use.