cylinder heads

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

ray allen
My Cars:

cylinder heads

Post by ray allen »

does anyone know the differences between the turbo and none turbo heads for 1.9 citroen diesels
BagStar
My Cars:

Post by BagStar »

Correct me if i'm wrong but, the only difference I know of is the combustion chamber is smaller, i.e. closer to the piston. If not, the TD must have slightly smaller pistons, in which case there'll be no difference.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

The injectors and cams are different (although it works fine with the 'wrong' cam). Not sure if there are any differences in the head itself. Not that I am aware of (there are quite a few differences in the bottom end). There is a extra water spigot on the TD head (just a blanking plate on the NA).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you are using head of differant model make sureports on head are same shape as old head also it payes to have it presure tested regards malcolm
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Hi I dont know what actual difference it makes but the turbo diesel head is made of a different grade material alloy. It may I guess be because of increased stress of the turbo engine,different pistons, crank,rods etc.
Cheers.
Geoff.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is common for turbo xa ntias to have cracked heads regards malcolm
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The material used for the exhaust valves is also a different grade. I don't know what the grades are, but it's very obvious when grinding in valves that the turbo engine valves are significantly harder than the atmo engine's ones.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I've fitted a 405 DT 1900 head to a BX n/a 1900.
Could not see any physical difference.
Worked a treat.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Yep it certainly seems to have done Bernie. Sounds normal, goes well and returns over 50 MPG.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Brilliant[:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Only fifty! Ya 'ooligan. I used to get 55 on a normal day and 59.4 on a run! Shove a litre or two of paraffin down it in case the injectors are dirty!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Don't some of the N/A heads have 30 degree inlet valves and the TD's have the more normal 45 degree inlets?
I understand that the 1.9 Td heads are less prone to cracking than the 1.7TD heads - and was told they are thicker metal.
What I'd really like to know is the difference between 1.7 and 1.9 blocks - ie can I have my 1.7TD engine bored to 1.9 (or even bigger?)which would save loads of problems with pumps and ancilliaries and mean that for authenticity in about 200 years time I'd still have the original numbers on everything which appears now to be important.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

The only difference that I know of between blocks is that the Turbo blocks have uprated Crank, conrods, gudgeon pins and pistons. They also have oil squirt nozzles to squirt the underside of the piston with oil as a coolant. There is also more metal cast around the bores, meaning that there isn't the "slot" between the cylinders that there is on an atmo block.
I don't *think* there are any differences between the 1.7td and the 1.9td blocks, as there was only a 4hp difference, so no need to uprate anything.
The TD heads certainly do have thicker castings, and it's a different grade of alloy, which helps prevent the cracking as seen on atmo engines.
As for boring out a 1.7TD block, I see no reason why not. The 1.7 is 80mm bore and the 1.9 is 83mm bore. That's not a massive bore-increase, so I'm sure it could be done. I have plans in the future to make a 2.1td engine, with a 2.1 block and an 8v 1.9td head. If it all goes well, I'll let you know!! [:D]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

I've fitted a 405 DT 1900 head to a BX n/a 1900.
Could not see any physical difference.
Worked a treat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Did you change the camshaft for the atmo one? the TD cam has no overlap and can affect efficiency when off-boost. The atmo one has a reasonable amount of overlap, which is better for a non-blown engine.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Yep, changed the camshaft for the BX one so the HP pump could be driven.
Kept all the TD valves etc.