Oops!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Oops!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Greenpeace rules the world. German court allows the banning of diesels.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... pollution
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Oops!

Post by Stickyfinger »

PANIC.....GreenPeace/Greens, I don't believe their agenda
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, but no date is stipulated allegedly...

So, it may not happen for another hundred years yet :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Do they really mean all diesels? Even modern Euro 6 ones? And still let a two-stroke Wartburg chuff its way around?

(Lotta question marks there!)
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Good. Filthy bloody things they are. I hope it happens sooner rather than later. As for blaming it all on Greenpeace/Greens... well, that's total nonsense. It doesn't take a genius to see the things pollute! Drive round the North Circular and look at all the grey houses by the road all coated in pollution filth, or the foul air quality in London.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Paul-R wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 17:40 Do they really mean all diesels? Even modern Euro 6 ones? And still let a two-stroke Wartburg chuff its way around?

(Lotta question marks there!)

It says that Euro 6 ones would escape the ban, and I presume that two-smoke Warties aren't really that common as to cause a problem on the scale of diesel cars.

Diesel cars, especially older ones, *stink*. I was following an Astra diesel on R plate earlier, I could really, really tell, so much that I put my heater on recirc.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder if any of this would have happened if the Californians hadn't caught VW cheating.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Who's fooling who, it's hard to tell?

Our local bus company proudly announced they took delivery of their new fleet of 41 buses - not one of them a hybrid (or better), they're all pure diesel powered.
The Euro6 standard has already been shown to be appx 4x more optimistic than real-world tests show yet it appears they'll be given preferential treatment when it comes to T-charges and bans?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Maybe Germany should stop burning coal ?

https://energytransition.org/2017/02/ge ... oal-plant/
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Cars built before 2015 are affected.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Interesting stuff...
I'm a diesel owner (well two of my fleet are - which is actually a tiny proportion of the overall :lol: ) - and love them. But... I'm also an asthmatic and keen on avoiding pollution, so I don't personally have a problem with this stuff happening.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

wurlycorner wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 21:11 Interesting stuff...
I'm a diesel owner (well two of my fleet are - which is actually a tiny proportion of the overall :lol: ) - and love them. But... I'm also an asthmatic and keen on avoiding pollution, so I don't personally have a problem with this stuff happening.

I'm not at all against it. I'm not asthmatic but I'd like to keep the planet reasonably clean for future generations.

The ban will be brought in in Hamburg in April to start with.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 17:45It doesn't take a genius to see the things pollute! Drive round the North Circular and look at all the grey houses by the road all coated in pollution filth, or the foul air quality in London.

It's the case in all urban areas Mike... Go for a run starting in the countryside and then into any town and it very quickly becomes apparent just how polluted these areas are...

One can note the same on a bike - in fact during any activity where your respiration rate substantially increases...

I agree, the sooner they're all gone the better... Small petrol vehicles are better in my (or my lungs) experience but not at all nice when running cold... Cats take a while to kick in...

Old non-cat petrols smell dreadful and are choking at all times...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The transition to clean transport is going to cause some pain and expense - not least to the vehicle manufacturers - but simply has to be done, most pressingly in urban areas. Buses, trucks and taxis need to be tackled up front, and not exempted long-term. For deliveries into cities, transferring goods from long-distance trucks on to electric vans will probably be necessary.

I think it's important that the bans/restrictions/regulations come first, and that manufacturers and drivers/companies are forced to modify their fleets. Done in reverse - waiting for off-the-shelf clean vehicles, before any restrictions are implemented - will simply mean postponement of the inevitable. There's nothing like a cut-off point to concentrate the mind, and that goes for manufacturers too.

There will be howls of protest from the automotive industry, and numerous attempts to blurr the issue and prolong ICE technology (witness the hybrids, including the hybrid buses that actually consume more fuel than their traditional counterparts), but these protests and tactics need to be ignored. If Toyota and VW aren't careful, they'll end up simply being leapfrogged by BYD - and that may be no bad thing.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 08:06 I think it's important that the bans/restrictions/regulations come first, and that manufacturers and drivers/companies are forced to modify their fleets. Done in reverse - waiting for off-the-shelf clean vehicles, before any restrictions are implemented - will simply mean postponement of the inevitable. There's nothing like a cut-off point to concentrate the mind, and that goes for manufacturers too.

yes, good point Chris... One can only hope this is how it'll go...
Jim