Maddening Car Parts Supplier Websites...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Maddening Car Parts Supplier Websites...

Post by Zelandeth »

Yesterday I very nearly wound up throwing my laptop through the window when looking at Motorserv's website, looking to see whether they had some bulbs(Ba7s) in stock.

However I abruptly discovered that there appears to be absolutely no possible way to just search for a given part without first having input a registration number or selected a make and model from the (very limited) drop down list. Fine...but in addition to this, there is no "other" or "unlisted vehicle" option to allowed someone who actually knows what they're looking for to search...

GSF appear to have the same issue.

I realise that the whole "input your reg number and we'll automatically filter the results for you" thing is useful for your average driver...but not having any way to override it just seems utterly daft. Means anyone with a car with a non-standard engine, or a Heinz-57 Parts Bin Special like my AC are stuffed. I know it needs a Mann W712 oil filter...but I can't just search for that!

Means that I can't search there for anything for the AC (registration won't resurface as "in service" until it's MOTed and taxed) and unsurprisingly AC Model 70 isn't an available option in the drop-down list, and it doesn't seem to work for the Lada anyway as it is showing "no parts match" for stuff I know they have on the shelf.

Notable that Austin, Leyland, Morris, Bedford and AC were all brands that don't appear in the lists at all...and MG only shows the recent Chinese models... that's a fair chunk of users who are going to find the website useless...

Edit: Found MGB etc...ALL BMC products appear to be labelled as made by Rover. Yeah...your average customer is really going to figure that out. No... they'll see it's not on the list, and go buy the stuff from some Chinese warehouse who have a better coded parts locator instead.

As it was, they did have the bulbs I was after, but it would have been nice to be able to check before I left the house...

Guess this is my grumpy old man moment for the day! Just really annoys me when in an effort to "dumb things down" so the lowest common denominator can use things, that designers wind up rendering a product actually unusable in the real world!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Maddening Car Parts Supplier Websites...

Post by EDC5 »

I can see your point. At the moment I'm trying to search for suitable oil filters for a project, searching by anything other than make/model is a pain.

I found that the Mann oil filters has a great search engine for this though: https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/dimensions

It allows you to search their entire catalogue by inputting the dimensions of the filter, then once you have a part number you can use http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/ to find other part numbers before purchasing.

Might help a bit :)
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Some fairly mainstream cars give those websites a problem too, as an example the Euro Parts site insists I need a fuel filter for my C4 VTS petrol. Not quite the same I know but still!
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have you tried Auto Bulbs Direct for the bulbs Zel?

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

I find eBay best for a lot of parts if you know what you're after, especially filters and the like... Not used GSF or ECP for ages now and partly because compared to eBay they can be bloody expensive for bangeronomics/light use purposes and secondly, for the reasons you highlight...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

As my Activa is an import, the "Enter your Reg" websites always says Fail !....maddening
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Oddly I never have a problem with GSF, and I don't put my reg number in. I just use the drop downs, because I know it gives me the wrong bits sometimes if I don't check.

Today I went to our local factor and simply bought all the bits to service the Multipla, though it has one of those ancient canister type diesel filters I can't remember how to change.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I often wonder how kitcar owners manage to buy parts at all.

ABD use the same search by registration No: as so many others AND seem to think that you need reminding to buy something at least every week. Once bitten, twice shy - I'll never use them again!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

GSF picks the wrong model year when I put my daughter's 206 reg in, which is worrying especially since Euro Car Prats get it right.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Homer wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 05:04 GSF picks the wrong model year when I put my daughter's 206 reg in, which is worrying especially since Euro Car Prats get it right.

What really bothers me is that in the case of these websites, there's no way to override it when you know something's wrong. You *cannot* just search for *a specific part* - only what it deems to be correct for your car.

If A: You have a kit car, or B: the system gets it wrong (it used to show my first Xantia as a Saxo 1.1 for ages!), you're stuck.

Bugs me in particular that Motorserv has gone this way as the folks in store are usually really quite knowledgeable and will go the extra mile to cross-reference this obscure obsolete part number and turn it into something useful.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.