I-spy an Ugly SUV

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: I-spy an Ugly SUV

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Not an SUV, but a Notable vision of ugliness from the Toyota Stable

Yes it’s the world’s finest hydrogen powered car

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Saw a Maserati just like that today Steve, I think it was the Quattro Porte. It looked just like a Tesla till it got close enough to see the badge.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You will have noticed the distinctive Alfa Romeo rear light clusters, well the AR Stelvio SUV copies them at the front......

Make your own mind up,,,,,too pretty to be on topic :?:

https://photos-2.carwow.co.uk/models/16 ... lvio-9.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Aug 2019, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 19:46 Heard an advert for this on Classic FM a couple of days ago and hoped they might buck the trend.

Nope, sorry, it doesn't :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

white exec wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 18:04 And another Nissan - the Elgrand - not actually available in UK.
Unsafe at anything over 50mph and gas-guzzling, although luxuriously equipped inside.
Back end as attractive as a Rodius.

Nissan Elgrand.JPG

I agree, it's not in the slightest a looker, but it does have one massive redeeming feature... The 240 (or 300) bhp 3.5l V6 engine! For such a big bus, the thing moves like s**t off a shovel...

:rofl2:

(it also has a massive following and very active owners club)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Having been driven at speed in one of these, several times, I can say it travels more like jelly on a shovel. Built for straight lines, nothing else. Could well be at its best airborne (which it can come dangerously close to). The tiny wheels really don't help. A 3.5L wardrobe.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 15:26 Having been driven at speed in one of these, several times, I can say it travels more like jelly on a shovel.

:rofl2: I love it Chris! That really made me howl!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

For the past few years, I have thought that new car designs - esp the "super" kind, are more and more resembling kids toys. Perhaps the designers are getting younger? ...... and saw a drag coefficient quoted on one as 3.7 or thereabouts. Renault 25 was the drag coefficient when released - ok they used to remove wipers, door handles, etc., but the relative lack of wind noise was impressive and contributed to excellent fuel consumption - or the lack of. As this is compared to frontal area silhouette, I have long been interested in what the actual drag figures are for cars these days!
I believe it was "The Motor" which used to publish fuel consumption at 30 to 80 mph in 10mph steps and the corresponding speedo accuracy. That would be a real eye opener nowadays and is something we could all do with :wink: I imagine that the motor manufacturers would all be up in arms. :rofl2:
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A Drag Coefficient of 3.7 is rubbish... Cars in the 70s and 80s with lovely vivacious and beautiful sleek lines were achieving a Cd of 3.0...

I guess all this current passion for passive safety and humungus status symbols has done for low drag nowadays... Not to mention looks...

I keenly await the tide to turn and for beautiful and smaller, more manageable cars to make a most welcome comeback :)
Jim

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Yes Jim, the Audi was advertised with a drag coefficient of 3.0, but the Renault 25 had a coefficient of 2.5 - quite remarkable for the time! IIRC my Renault 20 was 2.7. Funny thing was that if I forgot to check the boot was closed, it reminded me by lifting about 10" at 50 mph. Must have lessened hte load on the rear quite a bit at 70! Incidentally, the bonnet and boot were almost exactly the same size as the Xantia's.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

"My Jeep's not an SUV - & your SUV's NOT a Jeep!" almost as good as "SUV's get groceries, Jeeps get dirty" However the distinction is muddied (sorreeee) by Jeep claiming that the Cherokee was the original SUV - whereas, of course, we know better, 'cos Citroen are to blame for the type, not the designation.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Harry, never realised the Renault 25 had a Cd so low... Amazing!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Rumour had it that the Austin Princess has more aerodynamically efficient in reverse that when going forwards! It does make sense; the most aerodynamic shape is that of a rain drop, and the Princess was (from the back going forwards) similar in shape.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 05:59 Rumour had it that the Austin Princess has more aerodynamically efficient in reverse that when going forwards! It does make sense; the most aerodynamic shape is that of a rain drop, and the Princess was (from the back going forwards) similar in shape.

I've heard the same from several sources now James so I'm willing to believe...

I like the shape of the Princess, irrespective of its aerodynamic abilities..

Shame they completely spoilt it with the Ambassador... And object lesson in how to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear :evil:

Of course now, it would be the height of fashion and could join the ranks of all the rest of the the fugly-brigade!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just shows how much notice I take - I thought the Princess and Ambassador were the same except for the badge - and I had a Princess :oops:

Wasn't the CX a ridiculously low CD figure?