Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
petef
Posts: 102
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 20:46
x 4

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by petef » 18 Feb 2018, 15:49

Thanks Marc - sorry about posting in an old thread, you were too quick for me when I tried to delete it...
Just trying to get my head around the wiper unit issue and VIN numbers. Do, say, Exclusive models have totally different VIN's compared to say, VTR+ models? And if so. were the faulty units only fitted to one model?
Just re-read the thread and realise that your model is a 2009 Exclusive like mine. Was yours included in the recall, presumably not if it's VIN is similar to mine?

andyhugill
Posts: 20
Joined: 01 May 2017, 21:13

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by andyhugill » 18 Feb 2018, 18:07

thanks for all the responses. I've taken my units apart and there is no sign of corrosion inside, PCB's are clean and look in very good nic. I guess it's probably the ecu that's developed a fault, put 12v to the motors and they are fine. Will have to bite the bullet i think.
Citroen seem to be pretty rubbish at recalls or rectifying design faults with their components. I am a design engineer for Cummins Diesel Engines at Darlington and one thing that's good about Cummins is that they excel at customer service and any issues over components, faulty or poor quality are rectified immediately no questions asked. Time for an email to citron and try a guilt trip on them, even if they offered replacement units at cost it would be a nice goodwill gesture.

Cheers

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 11163
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 943

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by GiveMeABreak » 18 Feb 2018, 20:59

petef wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 15:49
Thanks Marc - sorry about posting in an old thread, you were too quick for me when I tried to delete it...
Just trying to get my head around the wiper unit issue and VIN numbers. Do, say, Exclusive models have totally different VIN's compared to say, VTR+ models? And if so. were the faulty units only fitted to one model?
Just re-read the thread and realise that your model is a 2009 Exclusive like mine. Was yours included in the recall, presumably not if it's VIN is similar to mine?

Hi Pete - no mine was not included in the recall either - I had mine done under extended warranty.

The VIN just identifies the engine type in the main, the vehicle class etc, Here's an example:

VIN Code as we refer to is: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

VIN Part = VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

In this example:
Manufacturer Part
V - 'Car'
F - Country France in this case
7 - Manufacturer - 'Citroen' in this example

Vehicle Family
R - Citroen C5

Shape
D - 5 Door Saloon or W- 5 Door Estate / Tourer

Engine
RHR - Engine Code, in this case DW10BTED4 100 kW

Gearbox
8 - 6 Speed Manual Gearbox in this example

VIS - this is the next part of 8 characters & consists of 4 alphanumeric and 4 numeric 9L000000
9 - 2009 Year
L - Factory Code:- Rennes in this case

Code
The next 6 digits will relate to the car identifier itself and any options.

So they will know to which batch of cars at a particular time or run that the dodgy part was fitted to.

wurlycorner
Posts: 1391
Joined: 30 Oct 2012, 23:37
x 58

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by wurlycorner » 18 Feb 2018, 22:56

Generally electronic components are cheaper than mechanical these days, however I really struggle to see how 2 motors and 2 ecu's are cheaper than 1 motor, 1 ecu (if even that is needed an a standalone component?!) and a couple of bits of pressed steel that will these days cost literally thrupence from China...
Admittedly you don't have to stock two different linkages and plastic cowl covers for alternate drive markets, but you still have to have two mountings (because you now have two motors instead of one) and is there really that much saving on the assembly line? It's a bit difficult to understand there can be that much in it.

aaasss89
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 02:27
x 4

Citroen C5 front wiper motors

Post by aaasss89 » 19 Feb 2018, 01:51

Hi all,
I have a Citroen C5 tourer 2009 with front wiper motors problem.
The problem was that the driver side wiper works perfectly but the passenger side go up and stops in vertical position.
I searched online and find that the problem is with the driver side wiper motor, so I bough a used driver side wiper motor and replaced.
After replacing it both wipers does not work at all, I try to switch whit my old motor and stay the same they're not moving.
I checked the fuse and it's ok, I try the BSI reset but nothing.
Can someone please help me.
Thanks.

andyhugill
Posts: 20
Joined: 01 May 2017, 21:13

Re: Citroen C5 front wiper motors

Post by andyhugill » 19 Feb 2018, 10:25

All the wiper problems seem to be connected to one side ECU. I posted a similar problem a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59504

Andy
Last edited by andyhugill on 20 Feb 2018, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 11163
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 943

Re: Citroen C5 front wiper motors

Post by GiveMeABreak » 19 Feb 2018, 10:50

aaasss89 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 01:51
Hi all,
I have a Citroen C5 tourer 2009 with front wiper motors problem.
The problem was that the driver side wiper works perfectly but the passenger side go up and stops in vertical position.
I searched online and find that the problem is with the driver side wiper motor, so I bough a used driver side wiper motor and replaced.
After replacing it both wipers does not work at all, I try to switch whit my old motor and stay the same they're not moving.
I checked the fuse and it's ok, I try the BSI reset but nothing.
Can someone please help me.
Thanks.
The problem is that it is NOT always the driver's side motor, so you may have replaced the wrong one. You should always get it properly diagnosed first, to find out which one is at fault - as I have said in the thread, there is a Master / slave relationship between the 2 ECUs, however the passenger side ECU controls the passenger side motor, even though it communicates with the driver master ECU. So there could still be a fault in the passenger one.

aaasss89
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 02:27
x 4

Re: Citroen C5 front wiper motors

Post by aaasss89 » 19 Feb 2018, 17:37

GiveMeABreak wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 10:50
aaasss89 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 01:51
Hi all,
I have a Citroen C5 tourer 2009 with front wiper motors problem.
The problem was that the driver side wiper works perfectly but the passenger side go up and stops in vertical position.
I searched online and find that the problem is with the driver side wiper motor, so I bough a used driver side wiper motor and replaced.
After replacing it both wipers does not work at all, I try to switch whit my old motor and stay the same they're not moving.
I checked the fuse and it's ok, I try the BSI reset but nothing.
Can someone please help me.
Thanks.
The problem is that it is NOT always the driver's side motor, so you may have replaced the wrong one. You should always get it properly diagnosed first, to find out which one is at fault - as I have said in the thread, there is a Master / slave relationship between the 2 ECUs, however the passenger side ECU controls the passenger side motor, even though it communicates with the driver master ECU. So there could still be a fault in the passenger one.


Ok, but the issue is that when I connected my old motor the wipers wasn't moving at all ( before the driver side wiper was working perfectly and the passenger side go up and stops in vertical position.
I will try to replace the passenger side motor and see if I can fix the issue.
I have a question, do I need to "sync" the motors to the ecu? Or it's just plug in?

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 11163
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 943

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by GiveMeABreak » 19 Feb 2018, 17:42

Hi. There is no learning or programming for the wiper motors, you’ll be pleased to know.👍

There should be som fine marks on the bottom of the windscreen to help you align the ends of the blade to the correct position.

I e assumed you e checked the electrical connections to the wiper motors and the fuses, but always worth double checking with Lexia before replacing parts.

Always make sure you disconnect th battery following the correct procedure before plugging in the connectors, follow the BSI reset when reconnecting power.

User avatar
petef
Posts: 102
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 20:46
x 4

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by petef » 19 Feb 2018, 19:01

Marc - a belated big thank you for for your brilliant explanation of VIN numbers . It all makes sense now.

So if the wipers fail, I'm on my own with no help from Citroen....................

Peter

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 11163
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 943

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by GiveMeABreak » 19 Feb 2018, 19:05

Yep, looks that way Pete if you're not part of the VIN recall. I think to be honest it's a bit of a scandal - just like the steering rack fiasco - that should of been a recall if ever I've seen cause! I've very rarely heard of steering racks going at all - yet alone at the rate they have failed on the X7 - a design fault for sure. I think the failure of the wiper motors is another example - and I think they should of widened the recall for that too.

aaasss89
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 02:27
x 4

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by aaasss89 » 09 Mar 2018, 22:57

Hi all,
I fixed by replacing both motors.
I made a video on how to replace them, can I post a link here?

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 14628
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 331

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by myglaren » 09 Mar 2018, 23:11

Definitely post a link. Others will certainly be interested.

aaasss89
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 02:27
x 4

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by aaasss89 » 10 Mar 2018, 14:58

Ok great.
Here the link of my video on how to change both front wiper motors:


I hope that is helpful.
Thanks.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 10 Mar 2018, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited YT Links

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 11163
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 943

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by GiveMeABreak » 10 Mar 2018, 16:04

Great video - thanks for posting it up - I'm sure it will help others. I'm sure the car will be looking forward to a wash, now that the wipers are working again! :-D

Did you fit new ones or second hand ones and any sign of water getting into the inside of the unit anywhere?