MOT changes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

MOT changes

Post by RichardW »

Picked up in Zel's blog:
Zelandeth wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 12:31

Slightly hacked off that the tweaks that are just coming in/just came in to the MOT mean that my dead check engine light is now a fail...So the search for a new ECU continues. Or if it comes down to it, I get more inventive. A single failed transistor is not keeping my car off the road!

There is a fairly major overhaul of MOT coming on 20 May 2018.

Jim picked this up from Pistonheads:
CitroJim wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 16:31

I must look carefully at these MoT 'tweaks' and see how they might affect my fleet...

According to those august fellows across on Pistonheads, these are the main changes...

The 'Minor' is an interesting new category...
So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.
How exactly will the brake pad warning lights be tested? And what about many Xantias where the wiring has broken and has been removed?

In the Xantia at least, it's not a light that's tested at 'POST'-time like the Engine Management or Airbag light.. In more moderns do the pad warning lights self-test like that?

Draft manual is here

Ref Jim's comment on the brake pad warning light - it's only a fail if the lamp is lit indicating pad wear (or wire failure!).

I'll need to get some new bulbs for the 307 to replace the HIDs.... Interestingly fitting LEDs is not specifically noted (whereas HIDs is) although the fail is Light source and lamp not compatible - which could cover LEDs.

DPF equipped diesels not only have to pass the smoke opacity test, but also 'emit no visible smoke'
Richard W
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: MOT changes

Post by Sloppysod »

Good post Richard but I could not see the point of copying the above post in full, it would just take up space!

The item that caught my eye was "Steering: a steering box leaking oil would get a Minor fault; if the oil is leaking so badly as to be dripping, that would constitute a Major defect, causing the car to fail its MoT" as it is a known costly fault on the X7, will this take more off the road :?: :x
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I wonder if changing 'Advisories' to 'Minor Faults' is to try to make recording them obligatory. I've heard stories of car sellers getting cars MOTd, but requesting that advisories are kept off the MOT sheet to make the car more attractive to buyers.

As for Stu's steering box issue - I'd guess this is intended for good old fashioned steering boxes (Land Rover etc) that don't have pressuirised fluid running through them ??
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

bobins wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 19:44 I wonder if changing 'Advisories' to 'Minor Faults' is to try to make recording them obligatory. I've heard stories of car sellers getting cars MOTd, but requesting that advisories are kept off the MOT sheet to make the car more attractive to buyers.

As for Stu's steering box issue - I'd guess this is intended for good old fashioned steering boxes (Land Rover etc) that don't have pressuirised fluid running through them ??

I just dont understand why the advisories can't be recorded online along with the MOT. a minor 'fail' makes no sense if the car still passes....
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

As I understand it, it's to standardise what should be recorded as advisory. Currently, it's largely at the tester's discretion, which has led to discrepancies.
It looks as though many of the proposed changes reflect real-world conditions, rather than the more theoretical current rules.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Some pretty weird thinking behind some of this, surely fitting directional tyres the wrong way round is more dangerous than the ECL coming on (which in my experience means absolutely nothing - beyond the light's come on)? Are we moving away from safety, towards enviromental, issues?

When the red Cherokee was tested on Saturday, the tester commented on the steering box leaking (a fluid does drip from the Pitman arm) when I explained that it didn't, but the trans. cooler hose immediately above it did, he said "Oh, if you know about it, I'll not mention it". I suppose it might not be so simple next time but much as I'd like to fix it, I need a quick release fuel line tool to remove it from the hose from the trans case - & how do I know which is the right one?

If the brake warning light comes on because of low pads (rather than cheaper sensorless pads being fitted, the fluid being low, due to some pad wear or the handbrake switch being stuck) wouldn't it be a fail on excessive pad wear?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 21:42 If the brake warning light comes on because of low pads (rather than cheaper sensorless pads being fitted, the fluid being low, due to some pad wear or the handbrake switch being stuck) wouldn't it be a fail on excessive pad wear?

Yes! Light on means a fail and that's irrespective of what causes it...

A low brake fluid warning light should definitely be a fail in my opinion...

I guess soon any warning light being on will cause a fail.... The Main Beam warning light is already a testable item and I guess the indicator and foglight warning lights are also testable items...

As is instrument illumination...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

EDC5 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 21:18
bobins wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 19:44 I wonder if changing 'Advisories' to 'Minor Faults' is to try to make recording them obligatory. I've heard stories of car sellers getting cars MOTd, but requesting that advisories are kept off the MOT sheet to make the car more attractive to buyers.

I just dont understand why the advisories can't be recorded online along with the MOT. a minor 'fail' makes no sense if the car still passes....

Advisories on MOT's are already recorded online with the MOT. When I check back on both my cars online it lists advisories....
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Mandrake wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 11:05
EDC5 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 21:18

Advisories on MOT's are already recorded online with the MOT. When I check back on both my cars online it lists advisories....

Fair enough.

I foresee an increase of people bridging the engine warning light to the ABS warning light in future if they insist on failing a car due to it. I'm pretty sure that light can come on for all sorts of reasons!

Also will they be inspecting everyone’s EGR setup to look for blanking plates or clamped vacuum hoses as well as for removed DPFs?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Good news on the HID lamp conversions, shoving them into "normal" headlamps is a real pain in the backside to other drivers....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Stickyfinger wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 12:02 Good news on the HID lamp conversions, shoving them into "normal" headlamps is a real pain in the backside to other drivers....

Agree with that, coming home the other night they reminded me of the wartime searchlights looking for Jerry bombers. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Led 'upgrade' bulbs also fail the tezt due to the 'headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect!'
I know this as mine failed on them! :-D in fairness, they were s brighter colour butbnot all that much use! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 12:02 Good news on the HID lamp conversions, shoving them into "normal" headlamps is a real pain in the backside to other drivers....

Gibbo2286 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 13:06 Agree with that, coming home the other night they reminded me of the wartime searchlights looking for Jerry bombers. :-D
Agreed, very good news :) I expect though that those who have done the mod will substitute standard lights for the MoT and then swap them back as soon as they have the pass...

A bit like I believe some do with cats...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

A lot of HID kits require modifications to the bulb mount and to the wiring Jim, many will have screwed their lights fitting them.....hahahahaah

Decats also need a remap I think with anything half modern (same with later EGR's)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 17:31 A lot of HID kits require modifications to the bulb mount and to the wiring Jim, many will have screwed their lights fitting them.....hahahahaah

Good :)

That's excellent :)
Jim