Daughters dissertation survey. Male help required please

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Re: Daughters dissertation survey. Male help required please

Post by c.morewood »

Yes please Iain. The more the better to validate the survey.. personally I think it's the expanding waistline that does it for me😀. I'll get her to include that on the next survey Michel 😀. Thanks to everyone.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Done.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Posted on the first one.
Will do another later on :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Done the survey, it makes sad reading once done, because my depression is biting hard just now and motivation is nil.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 22:28 Done the survey, it makes sad reading once done, because my depression is biting hard just now and motivation is nil.

Sorry to hear that Davie, and I hope things very soon improve in your world...

I did notice how the questions are very well pitched at us males of certain ages and highlight a great deal of our concerns and preoccupations that come with advancing years and bits starting to wear out...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Done, good luck with the research

Interesting quiz, I feel quite positive now.
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andy F wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 23:10 Interesting quiz, I feel quite positive now.

It had that effect on me generally... Made me realise that life could be very much worse than it is :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Even I'm feeling positive!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Little aside Chris.

Perhaps not, but maybe your daughter may wish to bring the influence of advertising into the development of body image perception. More focus has been placed on some of the negative body image effects of magazines/fashion models in relation to females which is why your daughter has chosen a good topic for her research on the less well explored male side of things.

One of the most familiar advertising campaigns in print in the 1960's into the early 70's focused very much on body image and I would think that most boys growing up at that time will well remember the name of Charles Atlas and the cartoon strip ads that appeared in many comics. As an influence on body image satisfaction, clearly the message from such ads was that being skinny or lightweight was clearly a very bad thing. You would be pushed around and have sand kicked in your face, unless..... you sent for Charles' book, developed a more desirable muscular manly frame, punched your rival to a pulp just to show how manly you had now become, and how this would clearly impress your girlfriend.

They are classics in their own right, maybe not in a good way, and very much of a different time.

Some of the titles are "in your face"

"How Jack the Weakling Slaughtered the Dance Hall Hog"

Hey Skinny your ribs are showing!

and the most famous of all

The Insult that Made a Man out of Mac

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 09:32 One of the most familiar advertising campaigns in print in the 1960's into the early 70's focused very much on body image and I would think that most boys growing up at that time will well remember the name of Charles Atlas and the cartoon strip ads that appeared in many comics. As an influence on body image satisfaction, clearly the message from such ads was that being skinny or lightweight was clearly a very bad thing. You would be pushed around and have sand kicked in your face, unless..... you sent for Charles' book, developed a more desirable muscular manly frame, punched your rival to a pulp just to show how manly you had now become, and how this would clearly impress your girlfriend

Neil, yes, you're spot-on there...

I well recall all my more insecure and socially awkward peers at the time (you know the sort I'm speaking of...) were all massively into the bodybuilding and weightlifting culture - trying to get the rippling muscles seen in the media... And spectacularly failing in most cases..

It was hard to get hold of the necessary anabolic steroids in rural Somerset as a 14 year old in 1972 :lol: :lol:

Those of us who were rather more at ease with the world and had weightier (for want of a better word!) matters on our minds (such as girls, O Levels for a decent future and motorcycles) never subscribed to the trend at all... We were all quite content with our body image...

And that was me having about the same physique as I do now...

As for bullies... My way of dealing with them was to beat them to a bloody pulp... Those into bodybuilding and so on possibly got bullied more as a result in my experience...

Even in those days I may have been small and looked a bit on the weak side but those who thought I might be a good target for a bit of bullying soon found out the opposite applied ;)

That still applies...
Jim

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I sent her a link to this thread. She is amazed at the reactions and will use the comments in her dissertation. Next year or the year after ( Australia may get in the way) she is thinking that she will repeat the excercise with more parameters. Thank you for your suggestions and support.
Davie, if you're over this way drop me a PM and come along for a coffee and fine piece. I've been a little busy lately with mums aunt's weddings and funerals.. haven't touched T ecohouses TD but I'll have to do something this summer..I need the space. Hopefully see you soon.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris, I'm delighted Robyn is pleased with the result of this :)
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 11:39 As for bullies... My way of dealing with them was to beat them to a bloody pulp... Those into bodybuilding and so on possibly got bullied more as a result in my experience...

I got bullied at school when I came back from abroad as I was apparently the spoilt rich kid because we got to travel a lot (I wasn't, the government paid for it all!) This continued until I started playing rugby at 14. I grew quickly at that age and was about 5' 9" and 10 stone. I simply used the rugby field as a way of dealing with the bullies. I loved it. They didn't :) It took less than 80 mins to put a stop to the bullying forever.

What's the difference between a hand-off and a punch in the face? The ball...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 14:28 What's the difference between a hand-off and a punch in the face? The ball...

:)
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

After grabbing hold of a heavy duty red cable I am positive I am positive!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!