Old dog, new tricks (emergency braking)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Old dog, new tricks (emergency braking)

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As far as I know, yes (as the car is now braking far harder than normal).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

All EBA really does is apply the brakes as hard as it possibly can, when it detects you're trying to do an emergency stop but are too chicken to really mash the pedal to the bulkhead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_assist
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

As Michel just mentioned, it is designed to detect when you are trying to emergency stop but don't depress the brake fully. I presume it achieves this by determining that you've pressed the brake very sharply/suddenly, but maybe not fully. So it just takes over and gives you maximum braking effort.

I've experienced it once in my C5, I was coming to a T junction and looked one way then the other (while still rolling), then looked back the first way and realised that there was a car there (not sure how I missed it the first time), so I jabbed the brake and it slammed the anchors on. I know I applied the brake enough to stop, however it must have realised the urgency with which I pressed the pedal and decided that I wanted an emergency stop. Very impressive.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I made a very hard stop in my Mk1 C5 very early on in my ownership when I steamed into roundabout severely misjudging the speed of a car already coming round. I jammed on the brakes (completely forgetting all that I used to know about cadence braking!) and came to a juddering halt very quickly. Fortunately there was nothing following me.

Interestingly the hazard warning lights came on as a result. Something that hasn't happened since in anything I've driven.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

How does the car know it's damp/cold conditions, so needs to keep the brakes warm/clean?
Combination of wipers being on/Rain sensor/external temp sensor?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Well done Mike for missing the dear, they say it's the second one you don't see that you hit! I've only had the emergency brake assist come on once in the C4 VTS when bombing down the road home and came around a bend to find a car heading towards me on my side with another close behind it and yes the hazard lights came on. Shame it didn't also have a self cleaning drivers seat.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Fake Concern wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 22:38Shame it didn't also have a self cleaning drivers seat.

:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dommo wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 19:28
... then looked back the first way and realised that there was a car there (not sure how I missed it the first time),

May not apply to your car but in certain vehicles eg Peugeot vans, the "wing mirrors" can block out a decent proportion of the road when you approach certain T-Junctions. Huge great square things.

An aside to the topic which is probably very appropriate for the topic title "Old Dog, New Tricks" has everyone had that "panicky spaniel on a tiled floor" :-D ABS moment with the mildest of provocations.

Usually on a steep downward approach to a T-junction with a few wet leaves on the road, or patchy snow and ice.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, some moderns have terrible visibility... I notice that with the Pixo... Compared with the Saxo and Ka it's a bit like driving a WWII pillbox with slits for windows...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember not so long ago Mercedes had an issue with their EBA system. If you LOOKED at the brake pedal a bit hard the car came to an abrupt stop!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 16:46 If you LOOKED at the brake pedal a bit hard the car came to an abrupt stop!

My 207 was a bit like that in the brakes department and I hated it; they were massively over-sensitive and over-servo'd :evil:
Jim