new Big C on the way?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

new Big C on the way?

Post by old'uns »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... production

now lets hope (or not) depending on your point of view it looks like or similar to the first pic
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: new Big C on the way?

Post by bobins »

Leading quote from article:
"Citroen CEO confirms firm will launch new large saloon, recreating the C5 and C6 as a distinctive-looking, high-tech, comfort-led car"

So where does this leave Citroen's statement from last year(?) that they wanted to position Citroen as the basic economy marque, with DS being the upmarket one ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^ Corporate bullshit is alive and well!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Urrghhhhh... Fugly to the nth degree... :evil:

What a bloody horrid looking thing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

It's bloody horrible. Traditional Big Citroens have never been particularly low and sleek. This is where they've gone wrong ever since the CX. They tried to go *too* upmarket with the XM .. but the killer for me was not making a massive estate version of any car after the XM. Not a MPV.. an estate car. In my tiny mind, that's what big Cits should be ... not poncy executive cars.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 07:07but the killer for me was not making a massive estate version of any car after the XM. Not a MPV.. an estate car. In my tiny mind, that's what big Cits should be ... not poncy executive cars.

Agreed :)

There's plenty enough poncy executive cars in the world... And these days precious few proper practical estates...

To think Citroen once led the world in the estate sector, right from the DS Safari...

Arguably the last decent estate was the C5 X7... I have been very impressed recently by its ability to swallow a large quantity of cast iron radiators with barely a belch :)

And not to mention its comfort and refinement... A poncy executive it isn't but it would give any of that breed a real decent run for its money...

I know what I'd prefer any day...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That picture speaks volumes: an in-your-face, get-out-of-my-way, aggressive message, sculpted to contrast with the real-life and often impoverished urban streets it might travel through. As polarised with respect to a city environment as the levels of income of the folk who live there.

Sorry about all that, but that really is the message I'm getting.
Chris
Bick

Post by Bick »

I actually like it! its very distinctive, but then again i liked the ford granada that most people hated LOL
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 08:21 That picture speaks volumes: an in-your-face, get-out-of-my-way, aggressive message, sculpted to contrast with the real-life and often impoverished urban streets it might travel through. As polarised with respect to a city environment as the levels of income of the folk who live there.

Sorry about all that, but that really is the message I'm getting.

No need to be sorry Chris... That's precisely the message I've been getting for some time... Most cars these days are very aggressively styled and I'm sure it causes the drivers to be just as aggressive...

I find it repulsive, offensive and totally at odds with my outlook and personality...

I like my cars small, cuddly and gentle looking... Dare I say cute too?
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Bick wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 08:34 I actually like it! its very distinctive, but then again i liked the ford granada that most people hated LOL

I liked that Grandad if it's the one with the fish eyes! I had a 2.3 Scorpio with all the toys and leather for a while, it was brilliant!
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Potentially unpopular opinion: that picture looks spectacular, a real head turner.

But don't worry, it's got that 'concept' look about it so the new big Cit won't be half as out there styling wise.

It does seem strange that the article mentioned that it "wouldn't be a new C5"..... as if that's a bad thing?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Michel wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 09:17
Bick wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 08:34 I actually like it! its very distinctive, but then again i liked the ford granada that most people hated LOL

I liked that Grandad if it's the one with the fish eyes! I had a 2.3 Scorpio with all the toys and leather for a while, it was brilliant!

Yes they were a really good car and because of the auto press bad mouthing them, for no good reason, they were really cheap second hand and an ideal family/school run car.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Bick wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 14:27Yes they were a really good car and because of the auto press bad mouthing them, for no good reason...
No good reason? It was the badly designed "facelift" with the monstrously ugly squashed frog headlamps that did for it. Way to kill off a car, Ford.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 09:11 I like my cars small, cuddly and gentle looking... Dare I say cute too?

Its all subjective of course but small cuddly and gentle looking, and cute is the Renault 4CV

I wont be troubling the scorers on the new Big C. If I had the money to buy a new car I would buy the perfect old one!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:52
CitroJim wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 09:11 I like my cars small, cuddly and gentle looking... Dare I say cute too?

Its all subjective of course but small cuddly and gentle looking, and cute is the Renault 4CV

Oh yes, that 4CV fits the bill perfectly 8-) :-D Positively gorgeous!
Jim