Ceefax spin off: bamboozle! etc

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Ceefax spin off: bamboozle! etc

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Entertainment has moved on apparently, but Ceefax did provide a bit of interactive entertainment with your remote buttons!

...and guess what...Ceefax has gone of course, but there are still people out there, retrieving its history from VHS tapes and you can actually play selected "bamboozle" again.

Now the questions may be a bit tricky now, but by no means impossible, and F1 experts will know the answer to "Who won last weeks Grand Prix?" simply by deducing in what year the Japanese Grand Prix was on the Sunday before November 8th and who the multiple choice contenders were!

Here it is...10 questions just follow the instructions! (ie click on the red question1...you have to get all 10 right or you are "bamboozled" and have to start again.

Ceefax-Bamboozle Quiz to try

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2018, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Ceefax-spin off bamboozle! et cetera

I have today, deposited in the Pickled Egg library an article with the following titbits.
The invention of teletext back in the early 1970s was something of an accident. BBC engineers based down at the research department at Kingswood Warren were actually trying to find a way to provide programme subtitles for the hard-of-hearing, using an otherwise unused part of the 625-line television signal - called the field blanking interval. They succeeded - but in so doing, it quickly became apparent that the same principle could be used to send all kinds of other messages - news, sports results, financial information, weather reports - and Ceefax was born.
When Ceefax launched, it was rumoured that there were only four teletext-capable TV sets in the whole UK - one in the BBC director general's office, one for the director of engineering, one at Kingswood Warren and one in Colin McIntyre's home.
Then they had to produce a punched tape - approximately a metre long - and take it down two flights of stairs to the Central Apparatus Room (CAR), load it into a tape reader and watch as it was read into an anonymous metal box called a core store which actually transmitted the pages (It could hold a mere 24 pages at that point).
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Ceefax-spin off bamboozle!

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, I really started something by casually mentioning Ceefax this morning Neil :D

I just love how this has spun off into a very interesting sets of topics :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: Ceefax spin off: bamboozle! etc

Post by Michel »

I can tell you Mika Hakkinen won that year's Japanese GP :-)

I remember Bamboozle from my uni days. Late afternoon in our house, after a "relaxing smoke", gawping at it... those were the days :)
NewcastleFalcon

Michel wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 20:35 I can tell you Mika Hakkinen won that year's Japanese GP :-)

A title decider too!
The 1998 Japanese Grand Prix (formally the XXIV Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held at Suzuka, Mie, Japan on 1 November 1998. It was the sixteenteth and final round of the 1998 FIA Formula One World Championship. The 51-lap race was won by Mika Häkkinen driving for the McLaren-Mercedes team. Eddie Irvine, driving for Ferrari, finished second with David Coulthard third in the other McLaren. Häkkinen's win confirmed him as 1998 Drivers' Champion as title-rival Michael Schumacher retired with a punctured tyre on Lap 31.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Couple of more "Bamboozles" if anyone wants to wallow in nostalgia!

Bamboozle 1

Bamboozle 2

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 22:10
Michel wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 20:35 I can tell you Mika Hakkinen won that year's Japanese GP :-)

A title decider too!
The 1998 Japanese Grand Prix (formally the XXIV Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held at Suzuka, Mie, Japan on 1 November 1998. It was the sixteenteth and final round of the 1998 FIA Formula One World Championship. The 51-lap race was won by Mika Häkkinen driving for the McLaren-Mercedes team. Eddie Irvine, driving for Ferrari, finished second with David Coulthard third in the other McLaren. Häkkinen's win confirmed him as 1998 Drivers' Champion as title-rival Michael Schumacher retired with a punctured tyre on Lap 31.
Regards Neil

I knew the answer immediately as I'm an F1 nerd, and I know that Hakkinen won both 98 and 99 races. I know this for many reasons I won't bore you with! It doesn't say that Schuey stalled on the grid in 1998 in your little paragraph..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bamboozle was brilliant... I knew the answer to the last one :)

We really have lost something special with the demise of Ceefax :( Very sad...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Now then what to select for my 5,000th post.......

What better than Peter Purvis and Lesley Judd demonstrating very early Ceefax on Blue Peter :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

...And along with John Noakes, Peter Purvis and Val Singleton were possibly the best Blue Peter presenters ever :)

Blue Peter came out top on an all-time list of children's TV favourites very recently...

John Craven's newsround came in third I believe...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not quite Ceefax, but equally one that the youngsters will have to ask us oldens about....
from the BBCFOUR collections -

The Computer Programme, Episode 1, It's Happening Now.
".....begin their exploration of the world of Information Science and ask: what can computers do for us? Who is using them now, and where is this technology likely to lead? (1982)"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... pening-now

....if only they knew :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 20:00

The Computer Programme, Episode 1, It's Happening Now.
".....begin their exploration of the world of Information Science and ask: what can computers do for us? Who is using them now, and where is this technology likely to lead? (1982)"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... pening-now

....if only they knew :lol:

..and Kraftwerk uncredited for the theme tune.....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Reminds me of Neil Young's "Computer Age"

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sample and Hold Hair: Blonde Eyes: Blue Weight: 110 Disposition: Even Mood Code: Rotary Adjustable I need a unit to sample and hold But not the angry one A new design, new design. I need a unit to sample and hold But not the lonely one A new design, new design. I need a unit to sample and hold But not the lonely one A new design, new design. Sample and hold. We'll send it out right away Satisfaction guaranteed. Please specify The color of skin and eye We know you'll be happy. Don't hesitate to give us a call We know you'll be satisfied When you energize And see your unit come alive We know you'll be happy. I need a unit to sample and hold But not the lonely one, the lonely one, the lonely one Sample and hold. Weight: 110. Perfection in every details Fabricated from the curl of the hair To the tip of the nail Because our units never fail We know you'll be happy. I need a unit to sample and hold. Don't hesitate to give us a call We know you'll be satisfied When you energize And see your unit come alive We know you'll be happy. I need a unit to sample and hold. We know you'll be happy 110 We know you'll be happy We know you'll be happy. But not the lonely one A new design, new design Perfection in every detail, new design Sample and hold.
NewcastleFalcon

Not many people would come up with Neil Young if you played an extract of that in Popmaster! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey