Diagbox Lexia interface wont connect to car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Vilpo
My Cars: Citroen C5

Diagbox Lexia interface wont connect to car

Post by Vilpo »

Hi,
I just purchased a Lexia interface to connect to my C5 -04. It's the chinese version.
Now i have got the software properly installed, i think (Diagbox wit Lexia). Under windows xp 32 bit, on my laptop.
The problem is, when i start diagbox and i go to Lexia and try to diagnose the car, the program tells me to cycle ignition on/off but nothing happens.
It does this when i go to test unit by unit. If i go to the global test, it will check every unit by "no connection".
And when i connect the interface to the laptop by usb, it will blink the green led a couple of times, then stays on. When im trying to connect to the car, i can hear the interface click a couple of times too. But no connection.
I tried both, Lexia and Scantool. It does the same with both.
Also the VIN is not auto detected, and i have to type it by hand, RPO i may have typed wrong since i read somewhere its the top number on the sticker and i wrote the middle one..
I installed everything as instructed on the cd that came with the unit, and the software is updated to 7.57 now and the interface is 4.3.2 as i checked on the psa interface checker-software.
So i dont know what else to try? Besides testing with the correct RPO..
I tried also with the longer usb cable, but that did not help and i checked the cable connections many times.
Could there be a problem with the vci itself? Hard to believe since its new but cant think of anything else..?

Thanks for any help,
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Diagbox Lexia interface wont connect to car

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Ville

During installation, did you allow all firewall requests?
Try plugging the USB into each Laptop port and wait for drivers to install, repeat for every USB.
On the laptop, are you running from the mains or on battery? If battery, then go into your power management settings and advanced options, find settings for USB selective suspend or similar and make sure it is disabled.

Go into device manager find the USB controller setting under that look for each of the hubs, right click choose properties and select the Power Management tab. Ensure that he option to allow the. Imputed to turn off Devi e tonsav power is disabled. Repeat for all the USab hubs.

If that hasn’t solved it check operation on another Peugeot or Citroen and see if it works on that. If it does, you may not have a full chip kit that is needed for the C5. If it was a cheaper kit then it may well not be. There is usually a reason why they are cheaper.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Vilpo

Post by Vilpo »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 10:37 Hi Ville

During installation, did you allow all firewall requests?
Try plugging the USB into each Laptop port and wait for drivers to install, repeat for every USB.
On the laptop, are you running from the mains or on battery? If battery, then go into your power management settings and advanced options, find settings for USB selective suspend or similar and make sure it is disabled.

Go into device manager find the USB controller setting under that look for each of the hubs, right click choose properties and select the Power Management tab. Ensure that he option to allow the. Imputed to turn off Devi e tonsav power is disabled. Repeat for all the USab hubs.

If that hasn’t solved it check operation on another Peugeot or Citroen and see if it works on that. If it does, you may not have a full chip kit that is needed for the C5. If it was a cheaper kit then it may well not be. There is usually a reason why they are cheaper.

Hello Marc, thanks for your reply.
Yes, i allowed all the firewall requests during install.
I did run the laptop on mains during testing. However, i do remember the the dash going into "economy" mode while testing since the engine wasnt running. Maybe this interferes with diagnostics?
Ok, i will try what you suggested.
I didnt know i need to have another version of this interface to test C5? If this is the case, im thinking of returning the unit since its not mentioned anywhere in the ebay item.
Is there a way to tell which version i have?
Unfortunately i dont have another Peugeot or citroen right now to test this on...

Thanks,
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

My interpretation of the symptoms above is that the diagbox software is communicating successfully with the lexia interface, as it is switching some relays and not reporting a communications failure (the green LED does not seem to be very useful for diagnostics).

You should download and run the lexia interface version check software, which may give you more information about the version that you have bought.

I expect (but don't know for certain) that the lexia would communicate with some of the ECUs, even if it was not a "full chip" version, so I think that there is something else going on.

Make sure that the lexia connector is fitting properly into the socket on the car.
Is there a fused supply to the diagnostics port on this model? if so, the fuse should be checked.
You may need to consider that you may have been sent a faulty interface unit.
Vilpo

Post by Vilpo »

xantia_v6 wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 18:41 My interpretation of the symptoms above is that the diagbox software is communicating successfully with the lexia interface, as it is switching some relays and not reporting a communications failure (the green LED does not seem to be very useful for diagnostics).

You should download and run the lexia interface version check software, which may give you more information about the version that you have bought.

I expect (but don't know for certain) that the lexia would communicate with some of the ECUs, even if it was not a "full chip" version, so I think that there is something else going on.

Make sure that the lexia connector is fitting properly into the socket on the car.
Is there a fused supply to the diagnostics port on this model? if so, the fuse should be checked.

Ok, thanks for your reply xantia.
Yes, that is how i would conclude myself is that usb to interface communication is working, since it is clicking and showing information on the psa interface checker.
Do you mean the same checker that came with the software or another one? This one reports v4.3.2 firmware and 921815 C/ is the version of the hardware?
Yes, the connector seems to plug fully into the cars socket, at least as far as my elm-adapter does..
Actually, i can connect to the car with my elm-based adapter and read codes/sensor data on the ecu so i dont think there is any blown fuse there..
I think i can test the unit on another car in a day or two just to confirm if the interface unit is actually faulty or not...

Post by Vilpo »

Vilpo wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 19:21
xantia_v6 wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 18:41 My interpretation of the symptoms above is that the diagbox software is communicating successfully with the lexia interface, as it is switching some relays and not reporting a communications failure (the green LED does not seem to be very useful for diagnostics).

Ok, thanks for your reply xantia.
Yes, that is how i would conclude myself is that usb to interface communication is working, since it is clicking and showing information on the psa interface checker.
Do you mean the same checker that came with the software or another one? This one reports v4.3.2 firmware and 921815 C/ is the version of the hardware?
Yes, the connector seems to plug fully into the cars socket, at least as far as my elm-adapter does..
Actually, i can connect to the car with my elm-based adapter and read codes/sensor data on the ecu so i dont think there is any blown fuse there..
I think i can test the unit on another car in a day or two just to confirm if the interface unit is actually faulty or not...

Ok guys problem solved. Feel a bit stupid here, such a simple thing went wrong... :oops:
Ok, so one thing i didn't know that i should press "enter" at the screen where lexia asks to cycle ignition. I tried clicking with the mouse but had no idea...
But it still wouldn't connect to anything else but engine control unit when i got that far..
So another thing, i didn't know i was supposed to select the "new C5"-option from the diagbox menu, instead of just C5. After i choose that, voila! All the control units are now connectable! :)
So now i was able to clear codes in esp and everything else i wasn't able to do before..
So anyways everything is working now, thanks for the help. :)

My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Project name: The Mothership

Post by wbgenetic »

Downgrade the Tool to 4.2.2 and it will connect fine. (using the PSA firmware checker).

Cheers,
V
Vilpo

Post by Vilpo »

wbgenetic wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 14:04 Downgrade the Tool to 4.2.2 and it will connect fine. (using the PSA firmware checker).

Cheers,
V

Ok, thanks for the info. But works fine now as stated in the abobe post^.
Just needed to learn how to use it better. :) So on 4.3.2 for now at least.
wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Project name: The Mothership

Post by wbgenetic »

There is no benefit into having 4.3.2 (only if you plan on using it for the C5 up to mk2.

Same goes for the Diagbox as compared to the Lexia.
There is no benefit in having a Diagbox really - should you use it for up to C5mk2.

Cheers
V
Vilpo

Post by Vilpo »

wbgenetic wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 12:22 There is no benefit into having 4.3.2 (only if you plan on using it for the C5 up to mk2.

Same goes for the Diagbox as compared to the Lexia.
There is no benefit in having a Diagbox really - should you use it for up to C5mk2.

Cheers
V

Ok, yes i see your point since it always opens up Lexia anyways for diagnosis..
Actually i tried to install just Lexia before this but it had some errors, maybe due to installing on Windows 7 so i went XP just to be on the safe side..
And i guess i went for Diagbox incase i wanna test other cars in the future (has pp2000 with it).