Amazon Echo / Google Home devices

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Amazon Echo / Google Home devices

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 06:03
Had Sam and his little mate in the back of the car the other week one evening, telling each other "spooky stories". Sam started off "A long, long time ago.... in 1982"...

Oi! I was 10 then!

:lol:

You sir are a mere sapling!!!

In 1982 I was about to go on my first overseas posting and choosing my first ever brand-new car :)

An MG Metro...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

But do you remember what you were doing when you heard that JFK was shot?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 07:00 But do you remember what you were doing when you heard that JFK was shot?

Yes, I remember it well despite being very little.. I was playing in the garden...

I also remember where I was when John Lennon was shot and indeed which wireless I heard the news on...

Ditto Challenger, Chernobyl, Princess Di's death and 911...

I learned of Princess Di's death whilst nursing baby Sian and watching BBC Ceefax...

Now who remembers Ceefax? Neil, that has to be a topic worth airing in OTCL ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Challenger - I like many other millions of kids was watching it live on the telly! John Craven's Newsround special if I remember rightly. Vaguely remember Lennon being shot and hearing it on the news on my gran's 14" B&W telly. Diana, I was in bed and it was on the news.

9/11 - I was at a work conference in Dublin and had been "out with some Irish sales reps" the night before. As you might imagine it was a *very* late night and I felt *very* rough the next day. I staggered down to the conference about 12pm and was alerted to the events by a panicked phone call from my ex wife. We put the telly on and that was the end of the conference for that day..
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I have no problem with remembering the date of Chernobyl - 26 April is my birthday, and 1986 (July) was the year I was in Yugoslavia.

While still in the teaching business, we tracked the radioactive cloud heading in the UK's direction on some 'home-made' weather satellite reception equipment, which picked up signals from weather satellites (NOAA, Meteosat...) and recorded their FM-band signals on audio-tape. Played back (or run live) the tape produced slow scan tv pictures (2 lines/sec of 625), or could be dumped in a home-made frame-store for quicker viewing later. During all that, two surprising things happened: the Americans found it difficult to muster working satellites (they managed just two), but the Russians "switched on" about a dozen, in a show of technical strength. Going one step further, while most of the Russian satellites were either geostationary or in regular orbit (satellite stationary, Earth rotating below), during the Chernobyl crisis, several Russian satellites became seriously manoeuverable, and turned up (transmitting as they went) in hitherto unknown positions. Days not to forget.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 07:29 Now who remembers Ceefax? Neil, that has to be a topic worth airing in OTCL ;)

Discretely deposited on POTD

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

What I find very dispiriting is when I'm on a website where I have to put my year of birth down and I have to scroll an awful long way down a list to find the year!

WRT to Echos and their ilk I'm afraid that they would find no resting spot in my house. I just don't like the idea of something listening all the time. In a similar vein I have some vinyl tape stuck over my laptop camera and my mobile phone spends all its time inside a little lightproof bag.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 07:29... and watching BBC Ceefax...Now who remembers Ceefax?
I certainly do. In fact I had a new (to me) TV which had Ceefax and I had it set to pop up news headlines. It was only a few days later when a message started scrolling across the bottom of the screen about a terrible aeroplane crash in Lockerbie.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 09:11 What I find very dispiriting is when I'm on a website where I have to put my year of birth down and I have to scroll an awful long way down a list to find the year!

I'm right with you there :twisted:
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I asked my Echo to play songs by Georgia Dagaki."I'm sorry, I can't find songs by Georgia Dogfood"!

It can't find my Jackie Evancho songs either :(