What's on your Christmas list?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: What's on your Christmas list?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The laser beam at about 300 Metres is reported as being about a meter wide. So picking up radar scatter at greater distances than this from a targeted vehicle in front of you should provide additional warning, but realistically, you really need a GPS based system these days to be of any real use which also provide the locations of known mobile locations as well as all the fixed sites in Europe. Mine has the verbal warnings (I swear it's the same lady that did the technical voice over for the Citroen C6 Suspension video) as well as the range.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I Ireland we have speed vans. Their website will helpfully tell you in advance where they will be and at what time. Fixed cameras are well signed yet people get done for speeding all the time, you'd wonder why!
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes we have more mobile vans here in the Welsh wilderness - but the problem is that you don't know where you are going to be driving all the time and don't really have the time to faff about looking online and remembering all that - there are too many other issues here like the constantly changing road speed limits that the Local Authorities seem to be doing almost weekly! So whilst you are concentrating on what the speed is, where you are going, and watching out for OAPs on a mission and Boy racers hurtling round the country lanes, kamikaze sheep, dive bombing kites, remembering where a speed camera may or may not be is not really practical. I have to say that for 95% of the time I drive within the speed limits - but because of the frequent changes in road limits - you can't always remember if you are in the 40 or the 30 at a particular stretch - and that's what caught me out!

Anyway - I was offered a Speed Awareness Course and this particular one was much better than the one I went on 5 years ago - they actually had modern videos - not some 1970s rubbish with Ford Cortinas and the like! So now I can work out what the speed limit is regardless - which is probably the most useful thing on the course. Which I now hope will be the last time I'm on one - but at least no points and no fine! The only purpose I got my GPS laser / radar detector is for awareness and reminder of the speed limits not to deliberately speed.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the pulse on a speed trap has a WORKING range of ONE mile you can, in theory, DETECT the pulse while you are still TWO miles away from the trap. The pulse has to have the strength to travel to working range and back, and does not stop at the 1 mile point but carries on until it completely dissipates.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Depending on your radar detection range of course - but that's as I said - radar scatter as the operator has to aim at a specific car - you will only pick up what is dissipated beyond that. But having the GPS warns you well in advance according to the settings and counts down - so covers you both ways.

Marc
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Dream List....

Driveway
Double Garage
Bodyshell Inverter
Xantia, BX or XM Estates, Hillman Imp Californian or Saab Sonnet
Dash Cam
Donations to my partner's favourite Hedgehog Sanctuary, they're really struggling

....money to purchase the above and space to store them!

....as a minor update, just in case anyone remembers my Thread from a long time ago, which much useful advice about Dash-Cams, I didn't feel I could 'stretch' to even the cheapest of those, but I did purchase
1.... USB port fallen into device, possibly in post, so didn't work at all
2.....didn't focus
3.....did work but had a big red line through the screen
1 was s/h, 2 & 3 were new
and gave up, figuring you can't get a working Dash-Cam for less than £15

I recently purchased a windscreen mount for the i-phone figuring I'd give that a go stuck to the screen on 'video mode' for £2.50 and while being a bit 'Heath Robinson' it might avoid the agro of routing wiring tidily. After non-arrival and investigation, I was given 'Proof of Delivery' to an area over an hour from me.
Puxa
doctle

Post by doctle »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 10:47 Yes we have more mobile vans here in the Welsh wilderness - but the problem is that you don't know where you are going to be driving all the time and don't really have the time to faff about looking online and remembering all that - there are too many other issues here like the constantly changing road speed limits that the Local Authorities seem to be doing almost weekly! So whilst you are concentrating on what the speed is, where you are going, and watching out for OAPs on a mission and Boy racers hurtling round the country lanes, kamikaze sheep, dive bombing kites, remembering where a speed camera may or may not be is not really practical. I have to say that for 95% of the time I drive within the speed limits - but because of the frequent changes in road limits - you can't always remember if you are in the 40 or the 30 at a particular stretch - and that's what caught me out!

Anyway - I was offered a Speed Awareness Course and this particular one was much better than the one I went on 5 years ago - they actually had modern videos - not some 1970s rubbish with Ford Cortinas and the like! So now I can work out what the speed limit is regardless - which is probably the most useful thing on the course. Which I now hope will be the last time I'm on one - but at least no points and no fine! The only purpose I got my GPS laser / radar detector is for awareness and reminder of the speed limits not to deliberately speed.

The speed vans are on rural roads always on the same places on the road and only on roads where someone has died in a car crash. In the bigger towns and cities they do change the speed limits randomly and this is where you'd find a cop, usually on an overpass shooting fish in a barrel. Oddly satnav on my phone seem to get this information fairly quickly so having satnav running may help.
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes I understand that, unfortunately round here they also change the speed limits on the roads quite frequently, it’s going from 40 to 30, and the number of 20 mph zones is increasing all the time. I already have satnav built-in to the car and that has risk areas, but it doesn’t work with mobile speed traps only the fixed ones so I find that having the radar detector with GPS is a secondary back up.

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 12:16 Dream List....

Driveway
Double Garage
Bodyshell Inverter
Xantia, BX or XM Estates, Hillman Imp Californian or Saab Sonnet
Dash Cam
Donations to my partner's favourite Hedgehog Sanctuary, they're really struggling

....money to purchase the above and space to store them!

Nice one :) My only real wish is to hear that Ray Noon, who a lot of us know through his Citroen endeavours, especially of the XM kind, has entered remission from his cancer and that in 2018 he gets the all-clear...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
doctle

Post by doctle »

To briefly get back to Christmas I need a new wife from Santa. According to the current wife I have to clean the windows, it's December, it's almost always dark and it's bloody cold outside.
Oh buggle
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

doctle wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 12:46 To briefly get back to Christmas I need a new wife from Santa. According to the current wife I have to clean the windows, it's December, it's almost always dark and it's bloody cold outside.

Mine said that. She thinks I did it too.

I actually paid a man to come and do them all one day when she was at work.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

can be hard to find a window-cleaner though: I recommend Distilled Malt Vinegar and doing them on a dull day, especially immediately after it's rained
Puxa
doctle

Post by doctle »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 19:38 can be hard to find a window-cleaner though: I recommend Distilled Malt Vinegar and doing them on a dull day, especially immediately after it's rained

She discovered B&Q sells the old pink windolene so its wash the frames and sills then rub it on and polish it off. Grrr
Oh buggle
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I had a man ring me up about my windows, said I needed cleaning. I said about time too, I'd been waiting in all day for him to turn up and hope he had his own long ladders because one side of the house is hard to reach. He got all huffy and accused me of misunderstanding and said it was my computer needed cleaning, so I asked him was he sure because my computer had a screen but no windows to see in or out. He got even more huffy and said it was my operating system he was talking about (sort of implied I was a bit stupid) and he could see it needed cleaning so I asked him what sort it was and he said Windows 7 so I said I would have a look and said - oh, my windows says OSX on it. He hung up, so I still need someone to come round and clean my windows.

Meanwhile for Christmas I would like a roof-rack launched anti radar/laser gun missile system that destroys the equipment but leaves the person intact, my old SAAB 9-5 back but in factory fresh brand new condition, and a roundhouse like the old Great Western sheds so I can keep a dozen or so cars and use any one of them without having to shuffle the pack.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Some FCF humour at its best. Wry and Pithy*.

*Weren't they an old comedy duo?
Chris