Merged Lexia & Diagbox threads

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fake Concern
My Cars:

Re: Merged Lexia & Diagbox threads

Post by Fake Concern »

Diagbox cleaner?
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes there is a cleaner that removes all the files that are left on the system after uninstallation.

It gets rid of all the registry entries and the files left all over the drive. Let me know if you need it and I’ll PM you a link tomorrow.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Thank you for all the help.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have a XP machine that only has diagbox and Peugeot doc backup installed. It was (as far as I noticed) working perfectly when last used 6 months ago, but when I tried to fire up doc backup today, something has changed. Initially the server would not start because the activation code was wrong. After generating and installing a new activation code, the user interface is only in French (which is probably why the activation code changed), and the front page does not have any vehicle models to select.

Has anyone seen something like this? I am hesitating before starting a reinstall.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You need to make a registry change Mike:
  • Open the registry
  • Go to

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BackupAP]
  • Look for the AppLocale string in the list, Right Click and 'Modify' the entry.
  • Change from 'Local' or 'fr_FR' to 'en_GB' (without apostrophes)
  • Restart the Laptop
This can happen if any hardware or network settings change - or after generating a new code.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Fake

I've got a Win 10 laptop running a 64 bit edition - I can't remember the exact machine spec, but it's not outrageous, it was only around the £600 mark. I've got a virtual machine running under Oracle VM, using Vista ('cos that's what I had a licence for from my old laptop!), to run Diagbox. This set up works OK, although getting the USB pass through sorted out so that the VM could see and have control of the VCI was a bit of a trial (the instructions are in this thread somewhere!). I haven't configured a massive disc area for the VM, as it's not needed if you are only doing Diagbox - although I have got the service docs and SEDRE on there as well (albeit that they are only installed to use the 'DVDs' - which are virtual). One big advantage of this set up (apart from only needing 1 laptop!) is that you can save the machine state in the virtual machine, so it can be open and ready to go on Diagbox or Service docs within a few seconds. Both 'big' Win 10 updates have upset the VM though, and needed a bit of fiddling to get it to work again.

Edit: Here's the post: viewtopic.php?p=476277#p476277
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RichardW wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 12:15 Fake

Fake?

The only trouble with that is you have to have a reasonable amount of memory and a decent processor to virtualise otherwise it will crawl along - ) especially with all the Diagbox services and Windows Update running on the guest OS - which is a killer when running DB. I suspect many people won't have a decent Laptop just for this - but tend to run on XP still and Win 7 on older systems - which is OK, but not really great for running VM on this older level of hardware on a laptop I suspect.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Errm, I think it was a shortening of Fake Concern not a comment on the post itself!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Oh, I thought President Trump had infiltrated the Forum for a minute!

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

^^ what Paul said..

Ours is (I think) an i5 with 8GB ram, and 1 TB hybrid drive, so no starship, but it does OK.
Richard W
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 19:51 There are a couple of things to consider first and to understand:
  1. XP is of course free to download - however you will still need to purchase a valid licence to activate it - otherwise it will stop working within the 30 day period. I doubt that valid legal licences are now being sold as the operating system has long been de-supported.
  2. I would instead suggest Windows 7. Again, you will need a valid licence to activate it - regardless of whether using as a stand alone Operating System or as an OS under a Virtual Machine environment under Windows 10 or similar.
  3. Remember also, that if you require LEXIA specifically (for pre 2006 cars), as opposed to Diagbox, you will not be able to run it under any Windows 10 64 Bit Operating System. The Lexia - specific application (and I suspect Peugeot Planet 2000 also) is written using 16 bit code and no 16 bit coded applications are supported under a 64 Bit version of Windows 10.
  4. If you only need Diagbox to work then this will not be a problem.
  5. Remember that a VM will need adequate physical hardware and resources such as memory to run - in addition to the host operating system. Laptops are not ideal for this as they do not generally have the resources needed. I suspect you will not be much better off than an older laptop with XP installed that has been upgraded with a bit of extra memory. See point (6)
  6. One of the single most issues I see with running Diagbox on an older XP laptop is the slowdown / lag of Diagbox. You will very likely find this atttributed to Windows Update. Whenever the service is running (usually a while after startup) it can very easily make Diagbox crawl to a halt. For most people who use an older dedicated laptop just for Diagbox - and don't clutter it up with other junk, disabling Windows Update can improve speed by 200-500% or more. As Windows XP is no longer supported, there are no more updates being supplied - so this should not be an issue for most.
You can disable it here in XP:
Start>Run>Services.msc>Automaticupdates> Double-Click and click dropdown box, select "Disabled" then click "Stop", then click Ok.
Also, to speed up boot-time, Start>Control Panel>System>Automatic Updates(tab)>"Turn off Automatic Updates"

I have now re installed XP Pro on my laptop and with Lexia/Diagbox re installed and no other additional programs a quick try out plugged into the car it is really very much faster than it was. I ran a global test and found lots of faults I didn't know I had! After that I had the option to clear all the faults, is this a good idea? Also I had the option to save them, would I be able to access them when not plugged into the car if I did?
In my next session I need to look into disabling TPMS to stop the annoying error message and to try and track down why it will go into limp when it hits the rev limiter.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Glad you have it all up and running.

Yes, always a good idea to run a global test first, read and then clear the faults - don't bother saving anything. Then take the car for a run before re-running the global test - anything still showing up will be a fault that needs to be looked at in more detail.

Make sure you take a copy of your Diagbox Licence File and back it up - as it is easy to click on a server-level function and deactivate the system. Search this thread for APPDIAG.SYS to find the relevant location of the file.

As far as TPMS is concerned - what is the problem? Remember if you disable it, then you will not be able to reactivate it without having all the sensors re-paired and reactivated to the vehicle. Better to resolve the problem if possible, I find the system very reliable to be honest.

As for you last point, I don't quite get what the issue is - 'Rev Limiter' - if you are referring to the Speed Limiter option, then that is what it is designed to do - set it at the desired speed and then it will not allow you to go over that speed; unless in an emergency, in which case you have to floor the accelerator to the kick down pad on the floor to override the system (another reason why there should be no floor mats covering the accelerator floor pad).

Marc
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 21:10 Glad you have it all up and running.

Yes, always a good idea to run a global test first, read and then clear the faults - don't bother saving anything. Then take the car for a run before re-running the global test - anything still showing up will be a fault that needs to be looked at in more detail.

Make sure you take a copy of your Diagbox Licence File and back it up - as it is easy to click on a server-level function and deactivate the system. Search this thread for APPDIAG.SYS to find the relevant location of the file.

As far as TPMS is concerned - what is the problem? Remember if you disable it, then you will not be able to reactivate it without having all the sensors re-paired and reactivated to the vehicle. Better to resolve the problem if possible, I find the system very reliable to be honest.

As for you last point, I don't quite get what the issue is - 'Rev Limiter' - if you are referring to the Speed Limiter option, then that is what it is designed to do - set it at the desired speed and then it will not allow you to go over that speed; unless in an emergency, in which case you have to floor the accelerator to the kick down pad on the floor to override the system (another reason why there should be no floor mats covering the accelerator floor pad).

I will do as you suggest about clearing faults then taking a drive and backing up the Licence file, thanks.

To clear up the other points.....
I agree that the TPMS system is good, it worked well on my first VTS. On my last (second) one it only gave me the error message once each journey, the current (third) one it gives several error messages each journey including the "beep" and service light which is annoying. On the original Resolfen wheels, one valve has been replaced with a standard one and two of them are the alloy type which have started to corrode, one of them partially snapped off I should imagine the batterys are almost finished as well. I have aftermarket wheels fitted with standard valves. I did consider getting the correct sensor valves for the new wheels, but until recently they were always at least £30 each (I've recently seen them for £20) and they need to be activated with , I believe an "exciter" as well as set up in Lexia and that's aside from having the tyres taken off, re fitted and re balanced. Anyway I don't have them fitted now!

I don't mean the speed limiter, I use that all the time in town and it works well, and my car has genuine fitted mats by Citroen with a cut out for the accelerator switch.
If you have ever driven a C4 VTS petrol, you will have discovered that all the power is available at the top of the rev range and and to make the most of it you need to get close to the rev limiter, on the C4 the (digital) rev counter turns from orange to red as it gets close (about 7200RPM) to the limit at about 7500RPM where the engine management system cuts the power until the revs drop back below the limit. So driving a VTS the way it is intended involves bouncing off the limiter more than in most cars (ask Davie!). When I first got it the car would hit the limiter before the tacho went red, but lately that hasn't happened. However lately it has started to go into what I assume to be Limp Mode when it hits the rev limiter as in the power cuts and the car gradually slows down, acompanied by the engine management faulty error message and sevice light. Great fun if you happen to be on the wrong side of the road completing an overtake! If turned off and left a few seconds it will re start and run normally then give the error message for another 2 starts after which it's back to normal. It doesn't happen every time the limiter is hit, but seems to be getting more frequent.
alDispatch
My Cars: Citroen C1 (2007)

Post by alDispatch »

Hi, I'm having Diagbox issues.. help greatly appreciated..

I had it working on my old XP 32bit Laptop with my last 2009 Citroen Dispatch but that Laptop died a few days ago and i have a newish Citroen C1 with a newly lit up anti pollution light.. I've managed a virtual install on my Win 10 x64 laptop (spent the last 2 days fighting!)

I've got 7.04 running in Virtualbox on XP32, (keep getting issues if I try to install updates beyond 7.04 though) the VCI is detected now (after fiddling) so I assume the correct drivers are installed, and USB is working.

The problem is it always asks for the VIN and with a Global Test everything is 'no dialogue' OBD2 socket pins 4/5 to 16 show 12v

My VCI is rev C and car is a 2007 Citroen C1 could this need a different firmware or diagbox version?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Al
Last edited by alDispatch on 02 Jan 2018, 11:41, edited 2 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1) It's possible that it may need 'Lexia' for the 2007 year C1 - did you select that rather than Diagbox?
2) It is essential that the VM is allowing the USB drivers through or that will cause communication issues between the software and the VCI
3) I'm assuming you have selected the Marque, then the Model, and then switched the ignition on when it tries to identify the VIN? If it's not returning the VIN, then it's not getting that info from the BSI and probably not a lot else.
4) You could try running a lower version of Diagbox (7.02). It is still possible that your VCI clone may not be a full chip kit - sometimes people only find this out when using on a different vehicle. It may well have been flashed to show revision 'C', but if some of the hardware components are missing, it won't make much difference.
5) The C1 was also made in collaboration with Toyota - using their manual and piloted gearboxes - and probable some other components - so may be another factor...

I've never tried connecting to a vehicle using a virtualised Diagbox install - it's bad enough using a direct connection! :-D

Marc