Not French but a seroius lot of enthusiasts.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Not French but a seroius lot of enthusiasts.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Not French but a seroius lot of enthusiasts.

Post by white exec »

One of those vehicles which were made with body panels that took the minimum of bending to manufacture. No 200-ton press and expensive dies required! Flat glass everywhere too.

Love the R.G.Jones of Morden High Fidelity van too. Would have provided endless fun for a young Jim.
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Central Electric in Orpington had those vans, I remember seeing one spread over quite a large section of the road when I was a kid, there was a crossroads just above our house with no priority markings!

I had a couple of the 'E' model Velox/Cresta in the video and my boss had a Standard 14 like the one at the end.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

One I spotted in the New Forest back in the summer...

A daily driver too...

Own Work
Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Not seen a live one for may years Jim. Do you remember the GPO Morris 8 vans with the rubber wings?

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 13:22 Do you remember the GPO Morris 8 vans with the rubber wings?

Just, as my dad was a postman all his working life...

Although I have better memories of his Morris Minor GPO vans with the Yale locks on them and then at the end of his career, the Bedford HA vans that replaced the minors...

I have better memories of the J-Type as a milk float. A milkman neighbour used to do his rounds with one and as a kid I often helped him... Loved riding in the old J :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 09:14 One I spotted in the New Forest back in the summer...

A daily driver too...

36199736875_919040103b_k.jpg

Forgot to say, this one is in daily use as an electrician's van; it earns its living...
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Here, they were still in use in the delivery fleet of the largest local bakery, until the mid 60s, so they were always called bread vans.

I remember my dad describing the experience of a local motorcycle shop that bought one for transporting motorcycles to and from the workshop. After using it for a few weeks, they found that the back door would no longer close. The weight a a motorcycle leaned against the interior wall had permanently twisted the bodyshell :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:35 Here, they were still in use in the delivery fleet of the largest local bakery, until the mid 60s, so they were always called bread vans.

Ahh! So that's where the term comes from then :)

Loved the bit about carrying motorbikes in them... I reckon one would be utterly perfect as my bike transporter - no risk of bodyshell damage with my featherweight carbon ones ;)
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought a couple of Morris Minor vans, the first one when I lived in Kent was ex Rentokill and the second after we moved down here was ex GPO, I bought it from a depot in Guildford. It had only done 19k miles but second gear synchro was shot due to the restrictor they fitted between the carb and inlet manifold to reduce the power, the postmen would scream the guts out of it in first then crash it into second, only paid £100 for it mind and the paint was still shiny on the floor!

I went to the local BMC garage in Axminster, huge it was, you could drive in and park by the counter! I bought a synchro ring and a set of gaskets for a fiver and fixed the gearbox, then I resprayed it yellow and white and fitted side windows, a pair of decent seats from the breakers and carpeted it and had it sign written, very nice it was.

I did the same to the one in Kent and fitted a heater from a Vauxhall Velox behind the driving seat, that one was warm as well.

Oh how easy things were in those days. 8-)

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 10:11It had only done 19k miles but second gear synchro was shot due to the restrictor they fitted between the carb and inlet manifold to reduce the power...

I remember dad telling me about those restrictors and how they would remove them on their fleet and remember to put them back in when the vans were called back to the depot for servicing or other work...

Very naughty but in hilly Somerset it was much needed...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think I might have done that. :wink:

Peter