Redex Advaned (Diesel)

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: 307 2.0 hdi 110
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Redex Advaned (Diesel)

Post by jimmymarsbar »

Over the last couple of weeks I've had a great opportunity to measure the changes in fuel consumption after using Redex Advanced for diesel engines.

After a trip to Wales, I did over 500 miles of mixed driving in my Megane 1.5 dci tourer/estate and still had about 12 litres left from a full tank. I was quite chuffed with the performance.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I was sent from work in Leeds up to Barnard Castle in County Durham, a round trip of 120 miles with mixed roads - a substantial portion of the A1 is 50mph with average speed cameras.

I started the journey with half a tank of standard BP diesel, and put £20 ultimate diesel in (as work subbed me fuel money). The driving conditions were superb - glorious sunshine and barely a breath of wind.

On the A1 on the way back to Leeds, I reset the trip counter to keep my eye on the average speed, and as I got back to Knaresborough, the car was averaging 52mpg. Not bad, I thought.

Then, the following week, I had to make the same journey. Again, I had half a tank of BP diesel from the same filling station, and I topped up with another £20 worth of Ultimate diesel. Only this time, I had emptied a bottle of Redex Advanced in with the Ultimate juice.

The car was a bit heavier this time round, as I had a couple of tool boxes with me.

Got up to Barnard Castle, set off back to Leeds and reset the trip counter to keep my eye on the average speed.

The weather was shocking this time round - persistent rain on both legs of the journey and a wind to accompany it.

As I got to the Knaresborough exit, I flicked onto the mpg screen, and I was pleasantly surprised to see 58mpg.

The only differences with the journeys are the extra weight on the second journey, the rubbish weather on the second journey, and the Redex Advanced on the second journey.

The road works owing to the 50mph average speed for a good 20 miles were the same, and because of the poor road conditions, traffic was a bit heavier and more cautious as a result.

So everything on the second journey was pointing to a lower mpg, and I can only put it down to the bottle of Redex advanced for the 6mpg extra.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Redex Advaned (Diesel)

Post by white exec »

Always difficult to do short-term comparison tests. If it was raining on the second trip, the air would have been denser/cooler, and this will slightly improve diesel engine performance. Slightly less throttle = better mpg, and the effect on the figures can be significant.

The MSDS sheet for the Redex product includes the same cetane improvers as the Wynn's and Miller's equivalent products (which we know work), and it is quite possible that they are all made by the same producer.

Also, the difference between standard diesel and top-grade (posh) diesel is the quantity of additives present. These are, I believe, also cetane improvers, system cleaners and lubricants - exactly the same as the above products. So, I guess that by running the car on best diesel for a trip, the mixing and cleaning action (which is cumulative) would provide one small improvement, to be added to by the use of the Redex.

That's my guess, but these things aren't easy to quantify short-term. My own experience is that these naphthalene-based additives pitch in about an extra 3mpg, but do make the car quieter and smoother by improving combustion. Add in a bit of moist and denser air, and it's all go! Some will disagree with all this.
Chris
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

white exec wrote: My own experience is that these naphthalene-based additives pitch in about an extra 3mpg, but do make the car quieter and smoother by improving combustion. .
They also reduce the smoke in the MOT test. I have two 18 year old engines in my family fleet and a good measure of Millers in the diesel always ensures a good result on the smoke test. Sometimes they get a quick result.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
rushman1uk
My Cars: Own 207 1.6HDi
Previously 206 1.4 verve

Post by rushman1uk »

I've used redex in the past for petrol cars but at the moment I'm using Cataclean with supermarket diesel. using supermarket as closer to home and 2p a litre cheaper than the shell garage I pass on way to work(on a bicycle before anyone say anything lol)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I chucked a bottle (Redex) in mine last fill up (double the recommended dose) and have just received another four bottles to do an extended test with.
Bought from ECP through eBay @ £5 a bottle.
As I only fill up once a month unless attending a rally, that will last me eight months at the recommended dosage. Way too soon to make any predictions.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

In my opinion it's well worth using if the cars standing in traffic and doing normal runs. If you're doing a lot of motorway runs it's a waste of money because the engine blows all the dirt out itself. Asda consistently seem to have the best price on Redex, I usually pay about £3.50 but it does vary. Well I used to but I have 2 petrols now so I get a different bottle these days.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

These additives seem to have their most dramatic effect at lower engine revs (in the peak torque band 2000 to 2500), where the amount of torque available is noticeably increased.

There are a couple of short, steep uphill bends near us. With decent brand (standard grade) diesel, I can just welly my way up these effortlessly in 2nd gear. On the rare occasion that budget diesel is used, I need to drop into 1st. Budget with additive makes 2nd just possible; good fuel plus additive and the car flies up it.

Improved combustion/pulling power less noticeable at high engine revs. The good additives are also supposed to keep pipework, pump and injectors clean (they can sort dirty injector issues), and improve the lubricating qualities of current low/sulphur-free diesel. More available torque = more gentle use of the throttle, especially true in heavy traffic.

If encountering an unfamiliar brand of diesel additive, use the web to call up its MSDS sheet. It should contain the same ingredients as the known good ones: Miller's Diesel Power Plus, Wynn's Diesel Fuel Treatment*, or the Redex product above. There are some useless products about, some of which are reported as being nothing much more than diesel fuel! If an MSDS sheet is not available, be suspicious.

* Down here, the Wynn's product is also available in a 1-litre "Fleet" can, which saves a few bob. Same product also available under the 3CV brand label. Yes - 3CV - I kid you not!
Chris
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

Does premium diesel really make that much of a difference to justify the extra price. I have always used supper market diesel and never had any problems. May be if I use premium then went back to supermarket, I would notice a difference. Might start using premium stuff as I will be doing 60 mile return trips every day from 20th November till 22nd December and getting 45p a mile.

Now the big question is Shell or BP, both on my doorstep along with Esso with Jet a bit further afield. Esso sometimes do special prices on certain days of the week.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

After eight months of dosing with Redex there was no improvement but it did improve when I stopped using it.
I have used premium fuels in the past but had no benefit from them whatsoever.

I have found that the car does a few more miles per gallon on the Torq diesel I have been using for the past couple of years. This week that station changed to Shell.
The very poorest mpg I have had was when I filled up on the way home from rallies, at a Shell place near Richmond - White Rose on the A1.
Did it twice, will never go there again.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

myglaren wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 08:44 After eight months of dosing with Redex there was no improvement but it did improve when I stopped using it.
I have used premium fuels in the past but had no benefit from them whatsoever.

Same here Steve, tried them repeatedly, over extended periods of time, and never seen any benefit at all from them. I believe that if people do get increased mpg from them, it's because they make an unconscious effort to drive more economically having shelled out the extra for the premium fuel.

I use BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power in the petrol turbo Ford Focus I have, but that's been remapped to take advantage of the higher octane rating, so it does make a difference. However, it is no more economical.