C5 braking issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

C5 braking issues

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi guys, my C5 exclusive has just lit the dashboard up like a christmas tree with "STOP" "Braking Fault" ESR Fault" and lots of other warning lights. I've plugged in the lexia and there is fault with the brakes. It said internal solanoid or something similar permanent fault. I can delete the fault but it reappears immediately. Brakes and ESR all appear to be working fine and car drives exactly the same as it always has.

Any idea what this fault actually means and is it an easy fix?

Strange thing is that this fault popped up when I last filled the tank, I was going on a long journey so brimmed it with diesel. I know citroens are a bit quirky but these 2 things cant be related can they? Seem to remember reading on the forum that brimming the tank was not recommended but cant recall why.

Any advice is much appreciated

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 braking issues

Post by myglaren »

I always brim the tank and have had no problems with it.

Coming home from Gateshead the other night , on entering the A1 I booted it a bit and all the warning lights came on, the clocks and meters stopped working, the CD/Radio went haywire but the headlights stayed on and the car drove normally - fortunately as I was following a police car.

All back to normal a couple of miles later.
When I got home I noticed after switching off that the LED voltmeter was showing 13V - with the engine off it is usually 12.5/12.6V
No further issues with it.

It has done this a couple of times previously but is a quite rare occurrence.
Previous C5 also had a couple of similar hiccups.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bandit12 wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 13:28 Hi guys, my C5 exclusive has just lit the dashboard up like a christmas tree with "STOP" "Braking Fault" ESR Fault" and lots of other warning lights. I've plugged in the lexia and there is fault with the brakes. It said internal solanoid or something similar permanent fault. I can delete the fault but it reappears immediately. Brakes and ESR all appear to be working fine and car drives exactly the same as it always has.

Any idea what this fault actually means and is it an easy fix?

Strange thing is that this fault popped up when I last filled the tank, I was going on a long journey so brimmed it with diesel. I know citroens are a bit quirky but these 2 things cant be related can they? Seem to remember reading on the forum that brimming the tank was not recommended but cant recall why.

Any advice is much appreciated
Bandit

Any issue with the braking / ESP system will put it into 'Backup Mode' - in other words you won't have any safety features active like ABS or ESP / ASR - so be wary of this - as we often take it for granted with these systems in that they are always operational. You won't clear any permanent fault - that will be a waste of time - you need to find the cause. Clear the faults, run a global test and then record each fault code and post up as this may help - also you VIN might help with identifying the ABS system you have.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Bandit, I used to get similar with mine, anything from Electric Parking Brake Malfunction, Gearbox Malfuntion (actually locked me in 3 and R only) , and many other faults.. were always nasty experiences..essentially, on these occasions (about 5 of them) any fault that could come up, would :-D

with mine, as an aside, the economy mode always came on after about 5 mins..

to cut a long story short, the car now behaves perfectly, after fitting a new battery!! i only get one warning, when I turn the ignition on, which bothers me not a jot (something about automatic door locking disabled) and I think that's always been present..

could be worth checking your voltage, especially now its 6 months of cold weather..

I never see Economy mode now either ! I havent tested the duration but it is probably 30 mins or more

John
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

All 3 of my MK1 C5s threw up weird warnings occasionally with no apparent failures when checked against Lexia. "Serious brake fault" was one that I enjoyed more than once.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Cheers guys n thanks fr the advice. It could be battery so I'll try a bsi reset then hook up lexia again n keep you all posted

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Michel wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 19:27 All 3 of my MK1 C5s threw up weird warnings occasionally with no apparent failures when checked against Lexia. "Serious brake fault" was one that I enjoyed more than once.

Yep. Things like this being one of the 'features' of the car that weren't very well advertised by Citroen... :rofl2:

(actually most modern cars do things like this...)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)