Xantia Gear Knob sought & Radio issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BMBCreative
Donor 2023
My Cars: 1997 Citroen Xantia Desire Estate 1.9 TD
2010 Citroen C5 VTR 2.0 TD Estate

Xantia Gear Knob sought & Radio issues

Post by BMBCreative »

Hi Folks,

I have a few age related issues here that maybe someone could help with?

The gear lever knob on my '97 Xantia Desire Estate 1.9 TD has basically disintegrated. I tried glueing it for a while but it's now too far gone. I'm wondering if anyone might have an original or one they were willing to part with? (Either a reg or exclusive) I'm trying to keep as many parts original if i can.

Also, the display in the radio has basically gone so I can't see anything when trying to tune. The sound is excellent but reception is sketchy sometimes noticeably on long drives (Motorway especially), I'm thinking this might be the aerial?
Has anyone else had these problems?
I'm wondering if i could get a later cd player from the Mk2 will this fit in a 97 Mk1 ?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,
Bryan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Gear Knob sought & Radio issues

Post by CitroJim »

The radio display going is a common enough problem now and replacement is the only answer... Yes, an early Clarion S2 radio will fit with no problem at all... They're not, in my experience, as good as the Blaupunkt in the S1 and they lack the valuable Aux-In socket for your MP3 player...

Be aware the CD Jukeboxes are not interchangeable between S1 and S2...

Look for a replacement from a breaker and try to go for the 4040 model from an Exclusive/VSX... A possible alternative is to get hold of a duff one with a good display and if you're good with a soldering iron/small assemblies/small tools, a display transplant is quite possible.

Gear knobs are one use only; they cannot be successfully removed and replaced due to the little barbs that hold them to the stick which break upon removal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BMBCreative
Donor 2023
My Cars: 1997 Citroen Xantia Desire Estate 1.9 TD
2010 Citroen C5 VTR 2.0 TD Estate

Post by BMBCreative »

Thats very helpful relevant information.
I'll go for an aftermarket gear nob and see if i can locate a Mk 2 radio.
Thanks Jim,
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If you fit a Mk 2 radio, the steering wheel controls will no longer work, and if your car is one with an antenna pre-amplifier, it will need to be changed or removed, as the power feed arrangements are different.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 20:33 If you fit a Mk 2 radio, the steering wheel controls will no longer work, and if your car is one with an antenna pre-amplifier, it will need to be changed or removed, as the power feed arrangements are different.

That's a good point! Not having a car with remote controls on the steering wheel any more I completely overlooked that :oops:

Mike, what models exactly had the preamp? There's always been a lot of confusion about them...

I ask as I've yet to see one in the wild... They seem to be stuff of Xantia legend!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Every Xantia that I have owned had a pre-amplifier, so that is Mk1 VSX and Exclusives, and early Mk2 Exclusives. I know from searching in breakers yards that lower spec cars did not have them, and I never looked at a late car with a Philips head unit.

For the moment I forget which is which, but Mk1s (or Mk2s) had a separate power feed to the preamp that plugged into the side of the can, the others were fed via the RF coax.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Is the Xantia gear knob fitting the same as the 405?

I've found a non PSA knob of late 90's / early noughties vintage, so easier to get; which fits my 405, might apply to the Xant' if the fittings are the same
Puxa