205 GTI 1.9 brakes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jawilson

205 GTI 1.9 brakes

Post by jawilson »

I've recently had to replace the rear discs/calipers/pads on my car for the car test; but it fails on the rolling road test as the left rear doesn't produce enough pressure. It seems like a simple case of air trapped in the line but I've bled it myself three times (with & without eezi-bleed) and I've had a garage do it twice. I'm at a loss now for what to do - any ideas ?
Jon

Post by Jon »

205 GTI 1.9 with rear discs, yes?
The problem you describe is caused by failure of the rear brake compensators, they do not allow anough fluid through to the caliper.
Theres one for each side, and you'll find them in-line on the brake pipes towards the rear of the car.
They are a fairly common failing.
I'm assuming by the way that the rear caliper on the affected side checke out OK and is not siezed, best to check this first before replacing the inline compensator.
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com
jawilson

Post by jawilson »

Thanks for the reply - yes, it's the 1.9 rear disc type (1988). The rear calipers are both new, as are the rear discs & pads, and the flexible hoses. I take it that it's a better idea to replace the compensators as a pair, rather than just one ? The car had been off the road for about nine months before this - does that make the problem worse ?