Everyone go buy a dashcam

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Everyone go buy a dashcam

Post by crapday69 »

As the title says EVERYONE GO BUY A DASHCAM. Yes I am shouting and i'll shout it from the rooftops :-D

I was involved in an accident that wasn't my fault. It happened on a dual carriageway roundabout. I was told that its very hard to prove who's at fault in lane changing and roundabout accidents. Luckily my wife bought me a dashcam from Aldi's for my birthday in july, so that £30 have saved me thousands as even though the third party that caused my accident blamed me, his insurance company took less than a day when my lawyer sent them the dash cam footage.

Also my courtesy car was supplied right away as soon as they seen my dashcam footage where as before I was told I would have to wait till Monday so they could contact his insurance to clarify liability. My lawyer also got me to a physio right away all because of the dashcam footage.

So please if you can, even if its a cheap one, get yourself a dashcam.

Last edited by myglaren on 05 Nov 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Everyone go buy a dashcam

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A couple of months ago, i posed the question in this thread titled Dash Cams-Essential Equipment?

I think your answer to that question is in no doubt ! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I'm strongly considering getting one of these. This has nearly happened to me more than once.

Sometimes I can lay some blame at the poor lane markings that a lot of roundabouts have! They expect you to be able to teleport between lanes sometimes. The majority of it is people not checking over their left shoulder before merging.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think you were probably lucky to get away with that one crappy, most insurers (and the cops) would say that you should have anticipated that the other car was going to do that.

EDC is correct about the lane marking too the ones on the Over roundabout into Gloucester positively invite drivers to do what happened in crappy's incident, I wrote to the Highways lot about it but was told "We know best"
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 09:42 I think you were probably lucky to get away with that one crappy, most insurers (and the cops) would say that you should have anticipated that the other car was going to do that.

How can you anticipate when someone does something wrong. He just changed direction at the last minute, also I.m concentrating on whats in front of me as people try and cross the road at that bit (it was 21.30 not 01.30 as in the vid). I use the roundabout everyday and in 25 years of using it, thats the first time someone has done that to me. I see people doing it on an empty roundabout, but never happened to me while driving on it.

10 years ago in 2007 at the exact spot, I was involved in a crash too, this time I had to stop on the roundabout as someone had crashed in front of me, as I was waiting for a gap in the traffic to go around the crashed car an old guy crashed into the back of me.

Gary.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

It's also worth bearing in mind that the car insurance industry (as a whole) might favour 50/50 blame as both parties then have to pay their excess and so the bill to the 'industry' is reduced.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

crapday69 wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 09:59
Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 09:42 I think you were probably lucky to get away with that one crappy, most insurers (and the cops) would say that you should have anticipated that the other car was going to do that.

How can you anticipate when someone does something wrong. He just changed direction at the last minute, also I.m concentrating on whats in front of me as people try and cross the road at that bit (it was 21.30 not 01.30 as in the vid). I use the roundabout everyday and in 25 years of using it, thats the first time someone has done that to me. I see people doing it on an empty roundabout, but never happened to me while driving on it.

10 years ago in 2007 at the exact spot, I was involved in a crash too, this time I had to stop on the roundabout as someone had crashed in front of me, as I was waiting for a gap in the traffic to go around the crashed car an old guy crashed into the back of me.

Gary.

I think that's precisely what 'anticipate' means, drive sensibly but expect others to drive like prats.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I agree Gibbo. The other car isn't indicating right so it seems, so I'd be expecting him to go straight on. I'd probably not undertake him while he was doing it either..
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

He could go straight on as its a dual carriageway so both cars can leave on that exit. If you watch the vid again you will see a black car driving in the lane he should have been in.

Gary.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's the layout of the Over roundabout that I mentioned, except that the road beyond the roundabout comes quickly down to single lane.

Still think you should have anticipated though crappy :)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I would never be without a dash cam these days, I have front & rear cams in all my cars. How many people do you hear of now even admitting liability at the scene only to change their mind after they have went home & thought about it.
Is that the roundabout where a right turn would have taken you into the Glasgow Uni science park ?
I would say the CRV was 100% at fault here, they should have stayed in their lane when exiting the roundabout, there is plenty of road ahead & they shouldn't have changed lane without checking mirrors/blind spot to check it was clear before moving into it.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

wheeler wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 12:41 I would say the CRV was 100% at fault here, they should have stayed in their lane when exiting the roundabout, there is plenty of road ahead & they shouldn't have changed lane without checking mirrors/blind spot to check it was clear before moving into it.

I disagree and think it's 50-50 at best. The CRV is ahead, the OP then passes him on the left which you're not supposed to do, and the CRV is simply moving left out of the path of the faster black car, which he is supposed to do. If anything the CRV driver didn't anticipate someone under taking and pulled left into them. 50-50 or the fault of the undertaker.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If this had ended up in court - for the sake of argument let's say someone was injured and the CPS decided to prosecute - I could see the CRV driver being charged with something like Driving Without Due Care AA (not checking blind spot or signalling whilst changing lanes). Not entirely sure what Crapday could be charged with :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Highway code rule 268 : (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake"

Which crapday appears to have done after the CRV passed him.

DWDCA?