Xantia 1.9td air ingress question ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 1.9td air ingress question ...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a small gauze filter and a very small bore hole in the return Banjo Union on the pump. These can block and cause the symptoms you have Mike...

When manually priming ensure you can get a decent return flow going... Also, the return pipe back to the tank can block too and cause mayhem. Blow down the return pipe and listen for bubbling in the fuel tank! An airline is best for this task but a good pair of lungs can also do the business...

A blockage in the return line is likely to be due to a clogged strainer in the tank..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Even on a mk1 Jim? Whereabouts is this located physically. I cant seem to get my head around it. I've ordered up a couple of quick swapout oarts and will check the tank strainer end ... thanks!
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, even on a MK1... On the side of the pump Mike...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Is that the white star shaped gizmo?
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantiamanic wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 09:57 Is that the white star shaped gizmo?

No idea.. can you post a picture of what you mean?

The return banjo is on the side of the pump just below the 'UFO' or Starship Enterprise. Just simply follow the pipe back from where the leakoff pipes terminate to the pump and that will lead you to the banjo in question.
Jim

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

I'm confusing the pump with filter housing Jim .... i'll take a look at the pump. Do i just unscrew said banjo bolt to check? Never ever touched the pump 😫. Will it empty down, rags needed and messy?

btw .. that little white star shaped gizmo on the side of the filter housing. ... what's its purpose?
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, banjo just unscrews... Yes, there will be some diesel leakage but not a huge amount... Have rags at ready..
xantiamanic wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 17:24
btw .. that little white star shaped gizmo on the side of the filter housing. ... what's its purpose?

Thermostat.. It decides if the fuel is cold enough to need heating by directing it through the labyrinth below the filter housing... Often is the cause of air ingress..
Jim

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Cheers Jim. I've moreorless managed to source most of the replacement parts to do with fuelling including a new banjo connection after reading old-guys post references previously. Can only find one copper washer though, think i'm needing two? Once this lot arrives i'll start at the strainer, then priming bulb moving on to fuel filter and work back over. Should have swapouts for the piping as well as its all of an age. May as well. Lets hope the leak is sorted and not something sinister.
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You can anneal the copper washers to enable their reuse Mike ;)
Jim

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Last resort Jim ... trying to go all new if i can 😉. Have posted request on FS&W.
Mike

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Been doing some dismantling today in readiness for parts turning up. Took the opportunity to check strainer ... aok. No signs of any blockage at that end i'm glad to report.
Mike

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Most of the parts here now ... as theres a fair few pipes a quick question, jubilee clips or pukka spring clips and if the latter can someone recommend a decent set if pliers. Whats in presently is a mix of the two. It seems the indy must have had a stock of small undersized jubilee clips as they look as though they're just holding the screw on some of them. I'm inclined towards spring clips but aint got the tool to manage them.
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Original spring clips are my preference every time... Failing that, the type of high-quality Jubilee clips that fully circle the pipe and are sold especially for fuel line duty..

Standard Jubilee clips are rubbish as they don't apply even pressure al around the pipe...

Laser make a suitable clip tool. I've had one for years

Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/251468353908
Jim

superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Cheers Jim.
I've got a set of those 'clic' pliers somewhere but the clips fitted on mine seem to be sprung 'winged' type and not those clic fittings?
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantiamanic wrote: 08 Nov 2017, 08:12 the clips fitted on mine seem to be sprung 'winged' type and not those clic fittings?

Have you got a picture of those clips Mike?

I'm not immediately familiar with them and cannot picture them in my head...
Jim