Power nibblers question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Power nibblers question

Post by Richard_C »

I want to cut some fairly intricate shapes in large c. 1mm mild steel sheet, including some inside curves. I don't need engineering style precision, its for artwork.

Tin snips are OK, but hard work, don't really do inside curves too well and distort the edges a bit (but not so bad it cant be dressed back). My old Goscut is hard work and relatively useless, OK in copper and aluminium. I don't get on too well with jig saws. I had though about a gas torch, did some cutting and welding at an evening class 30+ years ago, but oxy acetylene kit is expensive for the number of times I'd use it and MAPP running costs seem very high.

I have come across nibblers, either self powered or drill attachment, which look like they will do the job. For the amount I would use them a drill attachment would be good and I have some very good Bosch drills to drive them along. BUT, the ones I have seen look to be "too cheap/too good to be true" .

Never seen one in action, don't know anyone who owns on, does anyone here have hands on experience and advice?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Power nibblers question

Post by EDC5 »

Have you considered a fein mulitool, I think they do blades for sheet metal. I've only used one on wood an plastics but it works well and you can be very precise.

Or actually they have some purpose built tools for sheet metal:

https://fein.com/en_uk/sheet-metal-working/
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

How about an air nibbler? Air tools are generally much more robust than electric versions for the same money. Trouble is if you're like me, once you have the compressor you're liable to get the bug and start collecting tools, whether you need them or not...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

Thanks both. Doubt it is worth getting an air one, a compressor might be nice but for the amount I am likely to use it is questionable. Hadn't thought of a multi tool, I guess with the right blade you can put it on its side and 'steer' it along a line - and it has a myriad of other uses. If I go that route it will likely be Bosch 18v because I have decent drill and impact driver plus 3 Lithium batteries already.

Still thinking.
Richard_C

Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

is the disliking of Jigsaws due to not having the correct blades for thin steel.

I've successfully used a Jigsaw many times for cutting thin 0.9mm sheet, vibration isn't bad enough to be an issue. Looking at a pack of these* as I write

https://www.cbytools.co.uk/dewalt-dt216 ... lades.html
Puxa
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Would have thought that for thin metal sheet, a jigsaw blade with tooth pitch of less than 1mm would be needed to prevent 'grabbing' and give smooth cutting - something like the pitch of a junior hacksaw blade.
Tooth pitch needs to be less than the thickness of the material being cut, to prevent the material dropping into the gaps between the teeth.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Richard_C wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 18:34 Thanks both. Doubt it is worth getting an air one, a compressor might be nice but for the amount I am likely to use it is questionable. Hadn't thought of a multi tool, I guess with the right blade you can put it on its side and 'steer' it along a line - and it has a myriad of other uses. If I go that route it will likely be Bosch 18v because I have decent drill and impact driver plus 3 Lithium batteries already.

Still thinking.

IMHO a compressor is endlessly useful ..............one of those things I cannot do without
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I have tried or still have most of the methods. I found nibblers to be messy things. Those round shavings got stuck in boots and taken everywhere. The electric shear cutters are cleaner. Air tools, yes got all them. Plasma cutter I find messy too at times. Oxy/acy on a small jewellers torch can be good for cutting, but acy is a problem for domestic.
I was cutting copper sheet today in a leaf pattern and used an array of curved Gilbow snips.
1mm MS on tight radius? Plasma cutter, but you will need practice. Second would be a quality jigsaw, with work clamped proper and the right blade with some lube.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Jigsawing sheet metal is, of course, much easier if it's sandwiched between a couple of thin boards. Spray mount comes in handy here to keep everything together, and can be removed with cellulose thinners or similar aftewards.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

Thanks for all the ideas. No one is saying nibblers=magnificent and that of itself it useful to know.

Think I will try again with jigsaw and clamp between thin mdf or ply sheets, few offcuts in garage. Maybe with spray mount. Immediate thought was I'm going to need lots of ply, but thinking it through you only need to sandwich the area you are cutting plus a few inches so no need to do the whole sheet. Can use chainsaw* files to tidy up any inside curves - new chains are so cheap these days I never sharpen them so have files.

Away for a few days, will give it a go when back.

*I keep a chainsaw handy in case any Morgan drivers annoy me. Or maybe I've got a wood burner.
Richard_C