Modern Advertising....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Modern Advertising....

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

head scratch moment.... did anyone else see this and think WTF, that's some kind of 'Reverse Psychology Advertising'

I'm referring to the "Mercedes Me" ad', as seen at the end of the Doc Martin ad breaks, where the driver of a red Merc has to employ a gadget to remotely drag it out of its space, it being hemmed in by other vehicles sufficiently for it not to be possible to open the doors.

Now I got this as 'my Merc is so bloated and wide that I need to resort to fanciful modern electronics to get it out of the car park', but that's hardly flattering is it. Surely not the message Mercedes seek to convey... advertising is supposed to give a positive message to make you want to go out and buy one. I was mystified ! [I did look for a link to the ad' but found none].

On the subject of width, I was two cars behind a 205 on the A350 yesterday, it didn't half look small in front of whatever the 'modern' hatchback between us was. That link by Timmo to the 'Chris Harris drives' Pug 205 Rallye, is fabulous by the way. Thanks Timmo.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Modern Advertising....

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 21:36
On the subject of width, I was two cars behind a 205 on the A350 yesterday, it didn't half look small in front of whatever the 'modern' hatchback between us was.

It's remarkable that the cars we thought were big 40 years ago now look tiny!

I see a Mini Traveller quite regularly, a proper one, not a Bini imposter, and it looks so tiny amongst the modern tat... I looks like a toy car!

Even an Austin 1100, which was seen as a medium-sized family car in the 60s and 70s looks tiny now...

Gosh, even though they are still massive to me, the Xantia is starting to look like a small car nowadays :roll:

I'm not happy about it as I need to have a small car these days... My Pug 207 is just about as large as I want to go and that one's a bit too big for me if truth be told...

I'm really hoping a Saxo will prove to be more my sort of size ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 21:36
On the subject of width, I was two cars behind a 205 on the A350 yesterday, it didn't half look small in front of whatever the 'modern' hatchback between us was. Thanks Timmo.

The big, and to me, most important difference, is that if another car hits the 205, it will get squashed and the occupants badly injured or worse, whereas in a modern, wider car with side impact protection, curtain airbags, seat airbags - all of which make the car wider.. the occupant will probably be perfectly alright. I think it's a small price to pay.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Advertising doesn't help the manufacturers much as far as I'm concerned, even if its a good and entertaining, I remember the ad but rarely what it was selling. :?

The Golf is a typical example of expanding cars, it used to be small then got bigger so they brought another smaller car, then that got big so they made an even smaller one, the golf now looks quite big.

Peter
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I've just got myself a MK3 Ford Focus. You may laugh, but the room in the back is considerably better than say, a Xantia. I say that with surprise, as I didn't expect it either. It's what sold the car to me. I'm 6ft and 16 stone, and I can sit behind the driver's seat, with the driver's seat in the right position for me to drive the car, with *loads* of leg room. This is because the floor is low, and the seat base is high so my knees are not even at 90 degrees. It's a big car, but a nice one.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The 'Mercedes Me' system looks as though it would be possible to move a car which was not in the line of sight of the user. Potentially very dangerous, and quite possibly illegal - or have they somehow taken that into account?