Back to reality for some advice.

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Back to reality for some advice.

Post by qprdude »

Hi everyone. First, can i just say that having bought my Citroen DS5, I decided to join a dedicated DS5 forum. Oh dear, big mistake. It would appear to be peopled by half-wits, losers, spammers and nasty people. On asking for some advice, I was immediately spammed by some self abuser selling medicines, including --adware link removed--! Complaint to the moderators not even acknowledged. Checked a few other posts in the "DS5 General discussion section" and found that not a single post was even car related, never mind Citroen related. Mostly spam selling or X-box stuff.
Oh well, lesson learned.
This is a comfy place to be, and the only REAL Citroen forum, with real enthusiasts.
Whilst still missing my C5, I have to get on with life without it.
The DS5 Sat Nav is slightly worse than the C5 one and I would dearly like to upgrade the software, or at least update the maps. The problem is, unlike the X7, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to identify exactly what system I have. The X7 had a way of getting at this info (I've forgotten how), but the DS5 doesn't seem to have the information on tap.
The best I can come up with, from the book, is that I have Navteq 2012/2013 1st edition maps. (It's a 2013 car so this would seem to be the original edition. I have no idea what version Sat Nav is fitted, only that it does not have an SD card so presumably a flash drive memory built in. Is it an " E-Myway" ? How do I find out. I have a service due ( every year or 12,000 miles now), and would like to at least get an idea if this Sat nav can be upgraded to allow full 7/8 digit post code search or failing that, the cost of a map update. I haven't booked a service yet as I would like to ask the questions regarding navigation before booking. I'm in Woking, Surrey, and will be looking for the nearest Citroen dealers for the Citroen service fixed price servicing deal who can offer help with the sat nav without emptying my meagre wallet. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated, even if you know and particular service garage to avoid. The car is under warranty from Richmond motor group in Portsmouth, but I would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty nail than allow them anywhere near my car.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Back to reality for some advice.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Rick

Let's sort this out a bit at a time for you. First VIN for the DS5, then I'll confirm Head Unit and advise you accessing map data and firmware version. :-D I've also moved this to the telematics general section - I am in the process of creating an RT6 / eMyWay section shortly as there are quite a few topics that I need to move.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

See! I knew I had come "home"
VIN. VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Welcome back, Rick. This place is a true home to ALL French car owners (and not a sleazy 'hotel' to trap the unwary).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Cheers James. Remember the time you hooked up my X7 for diagnostics? The reason for the occasional non starting turned out to be the fuse box. It was replaced under warranty at Westheath garage in Farnborough.
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am glad that you were able to get it resolved (even if I was of little help). I did like your C5, even if it felt less roomy than my old C5.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

qprdude wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 16:48 See! I knew I had come "home"
VIN. VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Right, back on topic:-
RT6 / eMyWay system with independent Telematics Unit.

So hold SETUP down for 3 seconds, select RADIO TELEPHONE DIAGNOSIS, then UNIT DESCRIPTION.

Under software description of the unit it should begin RNEG2*******
Let us know the version you have.

7 Digit Postcode mapping came in from the 2014-on version of the maps and required at least firmware 2.80.

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Ref. 9803460980
CD number. 8596
SW Version unit RNEG 2.7 . E3
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok Rick, so firmware version 2.70 and as it's a DS5 it will be a CAN2010 architecture model. So you should be able to go to 2.86.

I strongly recommend if you want to upgrade this yourself, that you go to 2.80 first, then a second upgrade to 2.86 if desired.

Usual advice applies Rick - make sure you do not have the navigation screen loaded before starting and a good idea to UNPAIR any connected bluetooth phones before proceeding.

Copy the firmware version to the USB stick (extract the files only to the USB - not the zip file).
Leave engine running (can take up to 30 minutes) and don't press anything on the unit whilst it is doing the update.

System should detect firmware update and ask if you want to upgrade.

Have a blank USB stick formatted in FAT32 ready. I'll send you a PM with the links to the firmware files.

Marc
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I dont understand any of that, but welcome back here Rick. You always get the help from someone more knowledgeable here, unlike most other forums I have been on.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Not sure if I understand it either Davie, but I'll give it a go. How are you by the way. Long time since we met in Kemnay.
Marc, being a bit of a technophobe, I'm not very clear on this.
I get a USB memory stick and download the files to it from my laptop, then plug it into the USB port in the centre cubby of the car? I have the engine running and my phones bluetooth switched off?
The nav screen comes up as soon as I start the engine, is there a way to stop this? Sorry to be such a plonker but this is outside my comfort zone.
I won't be able to do any of this for a few days as I am on babysitting duties tonight, taking Swimbo shopping tomorrow, going to a "do" on Friday, then celebrating our Sapphire wedding anniversary on Saturday. This being retired is not easy !
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, no worries - I'll clarify the steps in a second - but to get the procedure right can you tell me what windows version you are running?

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Did I say Windows 10 (home ed)
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Marc, I have to go out babysitting in a half hour. What size memory stick will I need to get?
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1. Ok, so ensure there's nothing on the USB you want to keep.
  2. Insert the USB into Laptop / PC and note the drive letter Windows will assign.
  3. Double-click My Computer
  4. Right-click the USB drive letter and choose 'Format'
    Rick Format USB 1.PNG
  5. Make sure FAT32 is selected and quick format box is ticked and choose 'Start'
    Rick Format USB 2.PNG
  6. When finished, use a programme like 7-Zip to extract the 280 firmware zip file to the USB drive.
  7. You should have only the following files in the USB stick - nothing else:
    Rick Firmware Listing.PNG
  8. Go to car, switch on, and Unpair your bluetooth phone. To do this, Press PHONE button twice, select BLUETOOTH FUNCTIONS. select LIST OF THE PAIRED PERIPHERALS, then you can connect or disconnect the telephone (s) - or you can choose ALL PAIRINGS.
  9. The reason we do this rather than just turnn the phone off, is to stop any possibility of a bluetooth telephone call coming through - or any contact / call synchronisation between the unit and any phones whilst the system is upgrading its firmware - as this can interrupt the process and cause a problem. You can follow this to re-pair later as needed. It is a safeguard.
  10. Then switch the screen to Radio as the source, so that the screen is displaying that not the maps.
  11. Ensure the engine is running (to avoid economy mode kicking in).
  12. Plug USB stick into the USB socket in the car.
  13. The screen should pick this up and offer to start the upgrade.
  14. Start Praying

Marc