This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Radio configuration curiosities

Post by MikeT »

If it ain't broke, but....

Previewing my radio and other configurations in Lexia has left me with a few unanswered questions though I have no problem that needs fixing, just wondering if there's anything I can improve or am missing out on. Feedback most welcome...

1.Although there is a UK region selection, I noticed my region is configured as Western Europe instead. Coincidentally, I've just gone into an X7's radio to code it for the owner and notice his is also configured to Western Europe instead of the UK option. So what's the difference and am I missing out?

2.Another setting "Volume linked to vehicle speed" does what? I haven't noticed it increases with speed at all and often have to manually increase it at higher speeds.

3. Volume level correction law I assume is related to no2 above? Perhaps playing with these will make a difference?

4. I think in the handbook it says you can set the volume for TA's to be different to the volume for the station you're listening to but I've yet to find it useful, ie I still have to re-adjust the volume (up and down) to suit when a TA kicks in. Am I doing something wrong?

5. Steering Wheel with fixed central controls is set to absent on mine, yet I have full control from the steering wheel. Is this something else?

6. Hands Free Kit is configured to "Present" yet I'm sure I don't have one or it isn't working and indeed in a Global Scan it reports NO diaglogue.

7. In the X7 I just worked on the Global Scan still "ECU not recognised", even though there are no faults and the radio is working and now coded.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Radio configuration curiosities

Post by GiveMeABreak »

MikeT wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 17:45
1.Although there is a UK region selection, I noticed my region is configured as Western Europe instead. Coincidentally, I've just gone into an X7's radio to code it for the owner and notice his is also configured to Western Europe instead of the UK option. So what's the difference and am I missing out?
Leave it to Western Europe - UK is part of this configuration on later vehicles / certain head units (where there is not always a separate UK option) and is likely to be related to radio frequencies / scanning - especially if going abroad.
2.Another setting "Volume linked to vehicle speed" does what? I haven't noticed it increases with speed at all and often have to manually increase it at higher speeds.
Yes this does supposedly increase and decrease volume with engine speed, but have never really bothered with it and also have rarely noticed any difference. Again, later systems have removed this option from the software and it is now permanently set to automatically activated)
3. Volume level correction law I assume is related to no2 above? Perhaps playing with these will make a difference?
No - there may be up to 5 laws available - but docs say this must be left at Law Characteristic No 2.
4. I think in the handbook it says you can set the volume for TA's to be different to the volume for the station you're listening to but I've yet to find it useful, ie I still have to re-adjust the volume (up and down) to suit when a TA kicks in. Am I doing something wrong?
In common with a telephone call - most of the audio sources can be adjusted separately. For a Tel. Call, the volume can be adjusted whilst on the call and the settings are retained until adjusted again. With TA, again, you must adjust this when it is being read out. These settings are generally stored separately depending on System.
5. Steering Wheel with fixed central controls is set to absent on mine, yet I have full control from the steering wheel. Is this something else?
This is for the X7 and certain other vehicles that have a fixed centre controls - i.e. the airbag module and all the controls as in the X7 do not rotate with the steering wheel. On later models the BSI / ECU software has this as present and must not be changed - for earlier C5s this must be set to absent - it has nothing to do with the controls on the steering wheel.
6. Hands Free Kit is configured to "Present" yet I'm sure I don't have one or it isn't working and indeed in a Global Scan it reports NO diaglogue.
The hands free kits are different and these provide telephone services where these are not handled directly by certain Head units. The hands free kit may utilise bluetooth on some models or work with further kit on others. If the unit cannot be picked up, then it is likely that the version of Diagbox is not high enough to work with that specific ECU.
7. In the X7 I just worked on the Global Scan still "ECU not recognised", even though there are no faults and the radio is working and now coded.
As above - software level is probably not high enough. Many of the documents dictate the level of Diagbox needed for recognition / configuration

That's the best I can do without specifics. :-D

If I knew the VIN or Head Unit I might be able to help further.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Pretty much all as I thought. Was thinking of changing Hands Free Kit "absent" as a minimum just so it can skip looking for it during a global scan. Would be nice to have the volumes under control rather than being forced to manually change them due to changes in background noise.

I know the radio is RD4 N1 (without mp3- grrr)
VIN is available on another machine and I have to go out now but will post it later if still needed. My car - 05 C5 VTR Estate (with FAP)

UPDATE:VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Last edited by MikeT on 07 Oct 2017, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 18:03
As above - software level is probably not high enough. Many of the documents dictate the level of Diagbox needed for recognition / configuration

Hmm, I noticed the Docs said something about requiring Lexia vers 50 or 500 or something. It didn't gel with me as I've only noticed Diagbox version number (which is 7.65) not the Lexia and PP2000 version numbers.
Shafty69
My Cars: Citroen C5 2009

Post by Shafty69 »

Thanks for today's magic you carried out Mike. I've posted you up a thanks on the forum somewhere. Great work.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Just to add that the RD4 in a C4 VTS has the speed sensitive volume and can be deactivated from the car menu, but actually works quite well. Also is MP3 compatable, but this feature is pretty rubbish and slow to scan or change tracks and will only play random within a folder a bit like the armrest CD changer (which I've replaced with a USB Box and ipod), so you're not missing much.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 19:00 Hmm, I noticed the Docs said something about requiring Lexia vers 50 or 500 or something. It didn't gel with me as I've only noticed Diagbox version number (which is 7.65) not the Lexia and PP2000 version numbers.

My short-term memory is getting much worse... it actually reads "From tele-update version DIAGBOX 70.52" which still means nothing to me :oops:

Regarding my 'volume linked to engine speed' setting, mine is preset to Law1 so I've changed that to Law2 and see how it goes.

The Lighting Tables looks interesting too, what's that all about? I haven't entered the sub-menus yet.
I'm even confused by the Information Display Menu choices which use night (moon) and day (sun) symbols to represent - and + but is that it? Can't I have auto-dimming or similar when driving at night? Similarly a contrast boost in strong sunlight would be most welcome!

As for the seperate volume levels regarding normal listening and TA interruptions, I can't see a solution. If I'm driving in a nosiy environment I may up the TA volume but the next announcement may come when I'm quietly sitting in a peaceful beauty spot with the radio low and get quite a shock with a sudden loud announcement.

Also regarding the system looking for non-existant ECU's, I've noticed it's not just the Hands Free Kit but also CD Player is listed but not found.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 17:14

Regarding my 'volume linked to engine speed' setting, mine is preset to Law1 so I've changed that to Law2 and see how it goes.

Also regarding the system looking for non-existant ECU's, I've noticed it's not just the Hands Free Kit but also CD Player is listed but not found.

It's been 10 days since I changed speed-linked volume and believe it is working though it's hard to detect - by that I mean I don't seem to have to adjust the volume as often I did but manual intervention is still necessary. Maybe it's my hearing but I'm considering trying Law3 or higher (it was originally on Law1 which I changed to Law2 as advised).

I'm also considering uninstalling both the CD PLAYER and HANDS FREE KIT from the BSI as I'm pretty sure they are not fitted (nothing under the drivers seat and nothing plugged into back of radio aux inputs) and only slow down my scans and who knows what else in the system itself if it's looking & checking for hardware that simply isn't there.