Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Xantippa
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 15:51
x 29

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by Xantippa »

Electrochrome door mirrors have lines that go around the edge of the mirror glass (they look a little like rear window heater lines) - my -08 C5 X7 didn't have those lines. So you can see right away if mirrors are electrochrome or not.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

I think I already mentioned - whether you got them or not was dependent upon year and option pack - they changed between 2008 and 2009 in the UK as per the brochures I have.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
Xantippa
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 15:51
x 29

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by Xantippa »

Yes, but you can have that on/off switch without dimming outer mirrors. :)
Hell Razor5543
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 14306
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 3306

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

I must have really got lucky with MY mirror. Not only does it fit the wiring, and turn off when the electrics are off, it also has an On/Off switch!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
User avatar
patriotbarrow
Posts: 21
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 12:01
x 1

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by patriotbarrow »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 13:26 You could - if it will fit the C3, and if you remember to turn it off. Before I located the correct feed for my front and rear Dash Cameras, I had it on a permanent feed and forgot to turn it off several times. I left the car for a few days and had a job to start the car the next time! Managed to piggy back a switched feed from the electric seats now the cameras just turn on and off with the car after a 5 second delay. Perfect.



A rather simple solution would be to somehow (emphasis on the "somehow") run power from the electric window button lights, as they are turned off the moment you open the door. I guess it isn't maybe as simple as it sounds.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 41989
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 6957

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

You shouldn't really run anything off another bit of equipment on multiplexed cars to be honest - you are better off taking an appropriately fused feed from the fuse box, by using a piggy back fuse. Splicing into the wiring of the other electronics is asking for trouble - you could interfere with the operation of the vehicle or cause further electrical problems. There may be in excess if 26 ECUs dotted about the car controlling everything from the windows, doors, mirrors etc. There is a door control module in the door that deals with mirrors, doors, windows and lots of other things depending on equipment an options - upsetting any of these may cause intermittent or unexpected behaviour.
Please note, I'm no longer active on the Forum, so won't respond to messages.

Marc
User avatar
patriotbarrow
Posts: 21
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 12:01
x 1

Re: Retrofit Electrochrome Mirror to C3 Picasso

Unread post by patriotbarrow »

I think I may have found a solution to the power conundrum.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 01 Oct 2020, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed dead video link