306td Heater matrix lifespan

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin
My Cars:

306td Heater matrix lifespan

Post by kevin »

As winter approaches thoughts naturally turn to the health of the car heater, In particular the matrix. Having read the gospel according to St Haynes of the home mechanic, I do not intend to carry this one at home as this entails removal of the dashboard. Neither do I wish to part with @ 500 + VAT for the peugeot garage for the job, I am looking for advice should the matrix fail as the car is 8 years old and has 90,000 miles on the clock on the lifespan of this item. If it were to fail do I
1 Sell/Part exchange the car
2 Have the repair done and put it down to experience
3 Push the f*****g over a cliff and claim the insurance
Your replies will be appriciated.
Reverend Cannon o Fodder
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The car can end up on the scrap heap and still have a sound matrix or it can fail next time you get in it, who knows, just keep the cooling system well cared for with the proper antifreeze.
Option 1, you can get a newer car and still have this failure, plus a large outlay to just buy the thing.
Option 2, what most people would do, better the devil you know, than the one you don't.
Option 3, not an option.
Dave
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Kevin,
I have a '93 405 from new. The heater matrix has gone twice on this, both times I replaced it. Bit of a job first time - two days, but second time easily done in a day. Prizing off the various covers, was daunting. If it's anything like the 405, then there was on screw (hidden behind a cover I didn't believe was there) holding the heater controls to the dash board. So the first time I did it pulling the dashboard forward pulled the contol cables out of their clips which was a problem to correct. The dashboard will pull far enough forward to remove 405 matrix. It was certainly nore favourable than your two options.
gazak
My Cars:

Post by gazak »

Kevin
Malcolm is right - it is possible. It took me just over a day first time, then under 5 hours second time. Bad news is that the THIRD matrix is now leaking, so I have the chance to do it all over again. Follow the Haynes manual, bag the bits as you go (I wrote the Haynes para. number on each bag) and watch out for the brake light switch cable.
BTW I got my money back for the first replacement matrix. The manufacturer admitted it was faulty ??? Maybe we need a class action?
Gareth
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

I have had two heater matrix replacements on our 1995 306 XT in Australia. Both were just out of warranty but Peugeot paid most/much of the cost. So the newest core is now about 5-6 years old. Makes me wonder how long it will last. It also makes me wonder how many hundred kilometres from nowhere I might be when in fails. It's different when you are not 3 miles from the nearest town......
My Renault R8 is 37 years old and its heater core is original. My Renault 16TS is 26 years old and its heater core is original. I could go on.
It seems to me that the cores fitted to this range of Peugeots are pretty flimsy and, given their location and the job required to replace them, they should be bullet proof. Full stop.
I get the impression that a few are failing in Australia but I do not know whether a large proportion of the cars on the road here are having this problem. I certainly couldn't get much discussion from Peugeot.
At the least, Peugeot should have a much stronger replacement available. Maybe there is a way of having a batch of brass and copper "conventional" units made that might hold together for a reasonable time.
JohnW
sasmenon
My Cars:

Post by sasmenon »

My 309GLD does not have a functioning heater. The two black pipes have just been cut off at the point where they enter the dashboard in the engine bay. What do you all think can be done about it? In India, there is really no need for the heater except for late nights in December and January. So, shall I just leave it like that instaead of getting into the hassle of repairing it?
Sasi Menon
India
309GLD1991
Sasi
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Sasi. It sounds like you've talked yourself out of that one, only late nights December and January. De-mister required most mornings here all year round. I certainly wouldn't have bothered had I had your climate.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Sasi
From what you have described, I am sure your heater matrix has "ceased to be". This is a common quick fix for the 205/309. I did change the matrix on my 309d at 165,000 miles (265,000)kms. It is relatively simple, as compared with later models. You remove all the lower dashboard on the right hand side and radio console to expose the unit.
When changing be carefull of the O rings in the pipes and bleeding air out of the system when water enters the new rad matrix
Good luck
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Sasi
From what you have described, I am sure your heater matrix has "ceased to be". This is a common quick fix for the 205/309. I did change the matrix on my 309d at 165,000 miles (265,000)kms. It is relatively simple, as compared with later models. You remove all the lower dashboard on the right hand side and radio console to expose the unit.
When changing be carefull of the O rings in the pipes and bleeding air out of the system when water enters the new rad matrix
Good luck